• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terminator Dark Fate bombs at the Box Office

JoduanER2

This makes me happy, as it was a movie with a clear woke agenda, even the director said, so good news everyone.

"The still yet to be disproven axiom “get woke, go broke” chalked up another win for itself this weekend with the underwhelming box office performance of the ultra-feminist “Terminator: Dark Fate.”

Despite the return of producer James Cameron and the reunion of Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger, Forbes reports that the sci-fi action sequel pulled in a horrific $10.6 million on Friday and is now tracking for a lousy $27 million opening weekend on an inflated budget of $185 million (not including another $100 million in marketing costs). That makes it the lowest profiting “Terminator” in the franchise’s history.
"

Source

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
FrequentSickArchaeocete-size_restricted.gif

There were only two moments in the movie that made me roll my eyes. I wasn’t overwhelmed with wokeness.

I don’t think the “woke agenda” has much to do with this. I think Terminator is basically dead. It’s sad, and it sucks, but they ran franchise into the ground long before Dark Fate. Like the post below mine says:

Woke or not does anyone really give a shit about Terminator anymore?

Bingo

Shoulda just let T2 sail into the sunset as the masterpiece it is.

I actually liked Salvation, it was different. I was entertained by Dark Fate in a “totally turn my brain off” kinda way. It’s nothing special. T3 and Genisys were train wreck disasters. Imo

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It didn't fail because it was "woke". It failed because its a bad movie and looked like one in every trailer that was released.

It also doesn't help that there was multiple shitty Terminator movies before this one as well.

Last edited:
When I heard that Dani is now the leader of the Resistance I just rolled my eyes

I’m OK with Linda being Susan and Mackenzie being Grace (she’s pretty badass actually, and damn hot, maybe because of my fetish for tall woman).....but Dani is just unnecessary, she’s the most forgettable character in the movie and yet somehow someway she’s the leader of Resistance

Last edited:

Doom85

I heard it also kinda shames the motherhood of Sarah Conner.

It doesn't, Sarah just tells Dani she thinks Dani must give birth to a boy who becomes the future leader of humanity's resistance, and she realizes later it's Dani herself.

The only people who get shamed are those who realized they would have made the same outdated assumption.

When I heard that Dani is now the leader of the Resistance I just rolled my eyes

I’m OK with Linda being Susan and Mackenzie being Grace (she’s pretty badass actually, and damn hot, maybe because of my fetish for tall woman).....but Dani is just unnecessary, she’s the most forgettable character in the movie and yet somehow someway she’s the leader of Resistance

The movie ends with her with Sarah who already had trained John back then who in the previous timeline became humanity's leader. Basically, anyone under Sarah's wing will eventually become a badass.

GV82

eCq6Vhf.png

Features three main female protagonists and has a sympathetic view of illegal immigrants.

I think Marvel Movies are exempt from any arguments these days let’s be honest, it could be Kevin feige shitting on a toilet for 2 hours and it would make almost £700 million especially if it had a minimum of 1 other avenger or MCU hero’s in the end credits.

jYELJwy.jpg

That’s not a knock on Marvel btw, I have seen almost all 20 plus in the Cinema, own the Blu-rays so I contribute to their b.o too.

Doczu

McG had the opportunity to do that in Salvation but he felt daytime scenes, non-laser weapons, and machines that made transformers noises were better.
I get the same flashbacks when i see the newest Terminator game. It stsrts all nice dark and blue and then it goes.straight into Salvation territory wit Uzi machineguns against Terminators 😐

JimiNutz

Banned
I haven't seen Dark Fate yet but if they want to save the franchise they need to finally give us the future war (not the shit we saw in Salvation) and they need to embrace the horror element again.

A Terminator movie set in the early war with humans being hunted by the very first Terminator models would be cool. Otherwise the franchise feels stale.

NickFire

There were only two moments in the movie that made me roll my eyes. I wasn’t overwhelmed with wokeness.

I don’t think the “woke agenda” has much to do with this. I think Terminator is basically dead. It’s sad, and not sucks, but they ran franchise into the ground before Dark Fate. Like the post below mine says:

Bingo

Shoulda just let T2 sail into the sunset as the masterpiece it is.

I actually liked Salvation, it was different. I was entertained by Dark Fate in a “totally turn my brain off” kinda way. It’s nothing special. T3 and Genisys were train wreck disasters. Imo
I'm with you. I fully expected this movie to flop, and never even knew it was accused of pushing an agenda until a minute ago when I saw this thread. The issue with terminator is not the agenda. Its the way the franchise was handled. Total cash grabs instead of coherent long term story line that is worth investing in any longer.

You guys are delusional if you think the woke nonsense had nothing to do with it failing. Being woke was a vital part of its marketing with the director himself ridiculing the "toxic male" fanbase. It doesn't matter if it didn't actually feature any wokeness since it's what they wanted people to believe.

Old, dead in the water franchises have been successfully resurrected, such as Jurassic Park. What people truly didn't care about was Linda Hamilton and radical feminism being shoved down their throat.

gatti-man

This movie was great. Best action movie of the year. It’s really unfortunate the marketing was absolute trash. Not as good as T2 by a mile but by today’s standards it’s definitely a great action movie.

You guys are delusional if you think the woke nonsense had nothing to do with it failing. Being woke was a vital part of its marketing with the director himself ridiculing the "toxic male" fanbase. It doesn't matter if it didn't actually feature any wokeness since it's what they wanted people to believe.

Old, dead in the water franchises have been successfully resurrected, such as Jurassic Park. What people truly didn't care about was Linda Hamilton and radical feminism being shoved down their throat.
Linda Hamilton was arguably the best part of the movie. It’s a little insufferable with its females are strong stuff but if you’re not seeing a movie bc you can’t stand to see women shoot guns or be strong then I think that says more about you than the movie itself. Who gives a shit.

Last edited:
Linda Hamilton was arguably the best part of the movie. It’s a little insufferable with its females are strong stuff but if you’re not seeing a movie bc you can’t stand to see women shoot guns or be strong then I think that says more about you than the movie itself. Who gives a shit.

Like I said, Linda Hamilton is a complete nobody these days. She hasn't mattered since 1991. Doesn't matter how good the movie was, people didn't rush to Terminator movies to see toxic femininity in action.

eCq6Vhf.png

Features three main female protagonists and has a sympathetic view of illegal immigrants.

I heard Disney actually lost a lot of money on this film, despite it making over a billion dollars. Disney apparently wanted this movie to succeed so badly, that they were paying cinemas to show it on multiple screens, and were also paying people to watch this movie. I don't know all the details myself, or anything like that. I'm just going by what I have heard.

Last edited:
Wasn't this a Kurtzman movie as well? Well that is 50% of your answer. At best he is mediocrity and at worst is franchise killer. Seriously, everything he touches goes from alright to shittier. The rest of the blame can go wherever you'd like.

I haven't seen anything Terminator since Salvation and don't plan on changing that.

Last edited:
It doesn't, Sarah just tells Dani she thinks Dani must give birth to a boy who becomes the future leader of humanity's resistance, and she realizes later it's Dani herself.

The only people who get shamed are those who realized they would have made the same outdated assumption.

The movie ends with her with Sarah who already had trained John back then who in the previous timeline became humanity's leader. Basically, anyone under Sarah's wing will eventually become a badass.

Leader of the Resistance, illegal immigrant from Mexico........riiiiiiight

NickFire

Yeah, in my humble opinion the obsession with wokeness is equal to/just as bad as the obsession with being woke. Both sides need to chill, imo
I disagree with you on that one in general, but will always appreciate your willingness to see both sides of a coin. Specific to this movie though, I 100% agree with you. This is not a case of get woke and go broke. This is just a case of pump out shit for 10-20 years, and you should expect to go broke.

Kreen101

In the future depicted in the Terminator movies, where the social order has collapsed, the truth is that brute force would prevail again, as it has in the past in the real world, and as it does today in environments where might is king. In such a scenario, women would look to men for protection, as has always happened in the past. So Sarah Connor is correct in her expectation. But the woke screenwriters disagreed.

Well... no one cares about Terminator anymore. I thought this was obvious.

I mean, I love anything related but the general audiences just don't care anymore.

Skyr

As one of the biggest fans of T1 and T2 I am not gonna watch it in the cinema. It's not so much for the wokeness but more for other reasons.

I had no desire to see this. I've seen old Arnold in plenty of other movies and I own T1 & T2. There's nothing more to do. Move on from Terminator, please.

Hissing Sid

Really liked the first one.

Thought the second was ok but hugely overrated.

Can't remember anything about the third.

Was it the fourth that had Michael Ironside in it? Remember nothing else about it except for Michael Ironside. Always have time for Michael Ironside.

The only thing that comes to mind about the fifth is having to endure watching crap wooden actors firing weapons woodenly like mannequins carved from wood.

The sixth? Lol, not a fucking chance.

cryptoadam

Banned
We have had 3 Terminators bomb. Audience was happy with T2 and its ending. They didn't need more movies. Also Arnie. Arnie was the draw, especailly in T2 which was the real smash hit of the series. By T3 Arnie's star had faded, and by Dark Fate he has 0 star power and is an old geezer.

As far as woke, maybe the movie isn't woke, but its marketing was. Look at the first image released, 3 "bad ass" WAMANZ. The Director saying anyone who doesn't like it is a troll and misogynist and will be scared by Grace. Meanwhile Joker which was supposed to cause all white males to start murdering people in the theaters has grossed a billie while everyone involved told the press to Fuck off.

The movie is getting some positive reviews, but trust me in a few years this movie is going to get Star Wars PT level hate. It will be nit picked apart to death for all the stupid shit it did. And especially for shitting on T2.

Terminator fans don't want to see their franchise shit on. Non Terminator fans don't care and don't see the draw in geriatric Arnold and Linda Hamilton. 20 somethings have no idea who Linda Hamilton is she isn't a draw. To millenials she could be their grandmother.

So you are left with a movie with a retread plot starring 2 WAMANZ with nearly no drawing power. As Tony S once said "that will put butts in the seats".

Back to the drawing board. Get that dump truck ready for Cameron so he can attache his name to the next failure of trying to start the franchise again. Hopefully next time they lie to the audience again and tell us Arnie is in it only to have it be a body double with CGI and kill him within the first 5 minutes so we can get the new Trans-Non-Binary Terminator. The whole movie can be about the LGTBQ-800 going back in time to kill anyone who misgenders someone! SLAY KWEEEEN

Top Bottom