• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TGA: The Game Awards Are Not For Audiences, They Are For Industry Representatives

Airbus Jr

Banned
No. Either you're not getting it or you're being disingenuous. Regardless, this award show is like the rest, except for the fact I'll catch the trailers on GAF.
Nothing disenginous about my post

If some people here arent willing to acept the result/winner and questioned the validity of the jury then they can just move over and forget these award, just pretend your favourite game win and youl be happy

Nobody is forcing you to watch it have a nice day

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Which one is meant to be the superior? Mandalorian set a new bar for visuals in a TV series, whilst Interstellar set a new low when the dude started lurking behind his daughters bookshelf.

I knew this was going to happen as soon as this comparison was made lol.

Interstellar was clearly the FAR superior work. Also you’re wrong about the bookshelf scene. :messenger_beaming:

The Mandalorian looks like a fan fic shot in the hills of L.A. Which is pretty close to the truth.

Rat Rage

The Game Awards are a big deal. Over the years, they have become videogaming's Oscars and just like the Oscars they are not aimed at true audiences, but media representatives. It's nothing more than corporate gate-keeping and opinion-making. It's a media ceremony that allows gaming-media to tell the rest of the world which games they liked independent of their true quality and popularity. In other words, The Game Awards are fake and their sole purpose is to create more advertisement drive through corporate networking.

Upper Echelon Gamers had an interesting video on the matter:

1. The winners are picked by media representatives, not the audience

If you take a look at their FAQ, you can see that audience votes only account for 10% of voting process:

This means that your votes are absolutely meaningless and only serve to create more social media buzz. The winners are picked by a jury that is composed of media entities that belong to giant media conglomerates. There are 103 media publications on the voting jury, many of which belong to the same media groups such as VOX media (Polygon, Verge) or ReedPop (Eurogamers, VG247, RPS). In essence, the vast majority of the jury is not independent and their voting process is heavily dependent on advertisement deals that are created as a result of their decisions.

2. The advisory board is populated by the same people who produce the games

Game publishers have a heavy hand in the Game Awards, as such it is not a ceremony by and for the gamers, but by and for the media. EA, Ubisoft, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Rockstar are all part of the advisory board, even Tencent's vice president Steven Ma. The presence of Tencent shows how strong China's influence on our hobby has become, which considering the country's human rights situation is reason for concern.

When Geoff virtue signals Activision's absence for the awards, he fails to mention that Rob Kostich, president of Activision, is part of their advisory board. The Game Awards are just a façade, it's an artificial show disguised as one giant hours long advertisement. With so much money behind, they are certainly not representative of their audiences opinions.

3. TGA heavily favors third person cinematic single player games

Since 2014, all GOTY winners, with the exception of Overwatch, are narrative driven single player games. Racing games (Forza 5), indies and multiplayers games stand no chance at winning due to how the jury and the voting process are designed. Many games win, not because they are that good, but because they are chosen as a statement by the journalists against critical voices among audiences. Some nominees wouldn't even be on the list, had audiences more than 10% of a say in the matter.

4. TGA is corporate gate-keeping

The Game Awards serve as a gate-keeping mechanism for the media. Only they get to present their opinions, only they get to make statements, only they can promote their views and drown out criticism from their audiences.

4. Conclusion

The Game Awards makes the awards secondary to creating marketing hype for upcoming games. The primary purpose is to build hype and to promote, not to recognize the best games. It's a marketing event where ads, commercials, trailers and promotions are blasted in your face. It's not a show by the people for the people and it is high time we put this crap on ignore.

Couldn't agree more! That's exactly why I don't give a flying rat's ass about the Game Awards. It's just a stupid marketing show.

V4skunk

Banned
I am surprised Sekiro won the one last year despite its lack of a journalist mode.

But yeah, all award shows are trash. Sucks gaming has become just another medium.
Activision published Sekiro though so if what the video is saying is true, that probably helped alot when they voted for the goty.
Sekiro is also fucking awesome, amazing design, combat, sound etc... It did deserve goty and I even got filtered by it but my excuse is I lost skill level after taking a month or so off from it.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
TGA gave us the meme worthy social distancing Naughty Dog female employee popping out of a window to accept the award like some Sesame Street character, so like

It has potential for E3 levels of greatness. It just needs a few years for the cringe to go from embarrassing to INTO MY VEINS material.

JaksGhost

It’s been the same formula since it was the Spike Video Game Awards in 2003. The voting process has been the stagnant since the inception of the awards and if after 18 years you are still trying to find some integrity within it you’re just setting yourself up for disappointment.

CamHostage

...The TGAs gives out awards?

Kaufman-Trailer-Memes-yo-dawg.jpeg

These days everything is for industry representatives instead or the actual audiences. Business models, mtx, woke checklists etc. are all meant for industry representatives. Nothing new here.

Matt_Fox

I knew this was going to happen as soon as this comparison was made lol.

Interstellar was clearly the FAR superior work. Also you’re wrong about the bookshelf scene. :messenger_beaming:

The Mandalorian looks like a fan fic shot in the hills of L.A. Which is pretty close to the truth.

Come on, the moment McConaughey started floating around behind the bookshelf there was a collective audience WTF and not in a good way!

Interstellar and Star Wars did mash up in fine fashion though with the crying McConaughey watching the trailer to Force Awakens. That was some funny stuff...

Brigandier

These shows are just to massage egos and pander to these developer "celebrities" it's a cringe fest.

No gamers/public vote on these awards etc it's a sham of an event and the awards given are about as legit as a pair of Nikes from a store in Delhi.

SSfox

Who cares if it's this or that? It's gonna be great gaming event and hosted by Geoff, i know this guy from gametrailers era and for sure he's true passionate about games, and also don't hide his thoughts and opinion ( for example when he compared Gamepass to Netflix and Sony exclusive to HBO)

There are awesome games, and there are shitty games, the rest is in your hands, it kinda bug me when I see people buy trash like BF2042 and then go online "why games are trash" , no bro games are awesome, it's the game that you bought and play that are trash.

CamHostage

There is 1/2 awards based on player votes btw

So, OP, still standing by the idea that Audience Votes are the true measure of quality when the "the people" have put at the top of the leaderboard a game none of them has played outside of MP?

(MP Halo Infinite is very good, maybe even GOTY-quality in many opinions, but it's also jamming up forums with complaints about needs of repairs/additions on its modes and progressions from lots of the same people.)

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Every year people complain about the Grammys, Oscars, and the Game Awards, but it has always been like this, if they didn't play to advertising, there would be no show. You guys are just expecting something that was never there.

Fan voting is the worst thing ever invented and should never be at an awards show.

Last edited:

Fredrik

There is 1/2 awards based on player votes btw

Metroid Dread at #5 🔥
It’s surprising that a game focused so much on just gameplay could actually go that far in 2021 and it’s also depressing that it isn’t #1 when it’s better than everything else on the list.

Topher

Gold Member
Metroid Dread at #5 🔥
It’s surprising that a game focused so much on just gameplay could actually go that far in 2021 and it’s also depressing that it isn’t #1 when it’s better than everything else on the list.

You've played everything on that list?

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Oh dude dw. I've long-since stopped giving a shit ages ago. I'm in the camp of put up or shut up when it comes to games now. I don't care what company makes it, how many rewards it received, or how well it reviewed in metacritic. I enjoy it, I play it.

But then again hype, advertisement, and awards are probably not designed for the small percentage that shares my mindset.

A.Romero

Too many words to complain about your favorite game not being picked.

I mean, who cares? They say it in the faq, they have never said it's the people's choice awards and it doesn't mean anything.

Unless people take them seriously, they are meaningless. Just a part of gaming becoming a bigger industry.

GreenAlien

The Game Awards makes the awards secondary to creating marketing hype for upcoming games. The primary purpose is to build hype and to promote, not to recognize the best games. It's a marketing event where ads, commercials, trailers and promotions are blasted in your face.
Sure...but that's why I bother watching it at all. Why should I care about "which game is best"? If that was all, at most I would check out the finished list for 30 seconds.
Game Awards is basically the new E3, where you stay for trailers and announcements of upcoming games..

Fredrik

You've played everything on that list?
Very very close actually, 2 untouched ones. I guess Deathloop could be better but going by user score it’s not. Closest one I’d say is It Takes Two, high scores on all platforms from both critics and a big pool of users. Wasn’t for this hermit of a gamer though. Halo Infinite could potentially be better but it’s hard to say when only mp is out.

Ozriel

M$FT
And that’s a good thing.
You think anyone wants most of you doing the actual voting? Or those platform warriors on Twitter?

Last edited:

PUNKem733

I could give two fried shits about the awards, I wait until it's over to see trailers/reveals of new games, and games I'm waiting on.

JLB

Banned
yup, and although it is obvious, its great to be called out and make it even more clear, so thanks for that OP.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
3. TGA heavily favors third person cinematic single player games

Since 2014, all GOTY winners, with the exception of Overwatch, are narrative driven single player games. Racing games (Forza 5), indies and multiplayers games stand no chance at winning due to how the jury and the voting process are designed. Many games win, not because they are that good, but because they are chosen as a statement by the journalists against critical voices among audiences. Some nominees wouldn't even be on the list, had audiences more than 10% of a say in the matter.
But third person cinematic SP games are superior though.

ripeavocado

Banned
TGA: The Garbage Awards

Corporate shilling packaged as an event, usually always underwhelming, I never see them and I am only looking for announcements afterwards.

Why would anyone waste hours watching this?

The E3 conferences were much better: short 90 minutes burst of dozens of announcements and they never pretended to be something else.

if you are those ”awards” have an actual value you are so naive is not even funny.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm glad to see people getting more aware of the reality of these corrupt shit shows and giving some deserved pushback - Just like people have been enlightening themselves over Hollywood (and not the least main stream media as a whole) the last few years.

Yeah indeed: Let's bring Gervais into this, would be good.

Last edited:

Concern

I've never known anyone so invested in these stupid awards. Only reason I've ever watched them is for announcements.

Movie/music awards don't have any announcements, hence why I never watched any.

Top Bottom