• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thanksgiving is one week away, what's on your menu?

Dural

I love Thanksgiving and do most of the cooking every year. I was thinking we could share our traditions with the board.

I usually smoke two turkeys every Thanksgiving using a propane vertical smoker. I bought a pellet grill/smoker last summer and will be trying it out on a turkey for the first time this Thanksgiving, I've smoked pork butt and ribs so I know it works quite well, but there's a possibility of cold that could affect it (I might pick up a welding blanket just in case for insulation). I use apple juice, orange juice, whole cloves, brown sugar, kosher salt, and water for the brine. Usually have it in the brine for about 12 hours, one year I accidentally left it in for 20 and the turkey was way too salty. Cook times vary based on the size of the turkey, but I normally start it around 7-8am and it's ready by 5pm.

Here is one of last year's turkey's;
HVntfmm.jpg

For sides this year I'm making;

Sweet potato casserole - old family recipe we have every year
5 cheese mac n cheese - I made this for the first time last year and it was a hit
Cornbread casserole - A newer recipe that everyone loves
Crockpot cheesy potatoes - My wife loves these
Southern style dressing - I'm not a huge fan of stuffing but this is really good

Dessert;

Chocolate pecan pie - I made this last year and it was mind blowing
Pumpkin bars - Wife wants to make these
Apple pie - Tradition

I will also have mulled apple cider in a crockpot.

Dural

Since you're in Texas it's gotta be smoked turkey and brisket? I love Texas bbq, should be good!

I forgot my wife got a ham from work this year, they usually give turkeys, so we'll also have a ham.

Here's the recipe for the 5 cheese mac n chesse;

INGREDIENTS

• 1 or 2 lbs. Mueller’s Elbow Macaroni
  • 1 lb. Sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 lb. Mozzarella cheese
  • 1 lb. Monterey Jack Cheese
  • Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • Pecorino Romano Cheese
  • 1 1/2 sticks Land O Lakes salted butter
  • 3 Cups Whole milk
  • 4 large eggs
  • 4 tsp. Sea Salt
  • 3 tsp. white sugar
  • Dried basil
  • Hungarian paprika
  • Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
DIRECTIONS

1. Grate you sharp cheddar, mozzarella, and Monterey Jack cheeses. Keep them separated.
  2. Bring a pot of water to a boil and then add 1 tsp. of sea salt. And 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  3. Add the elbow macaroni to the boiling water and stir frequently so that it does not stick together. Do NOT cook your macaroni until it is soggy. Cook it until it is just shy of al dente. When your macaroni is al dente, it still has a little bite and chew to it. This is good because it will cook further when you put the dish in the oven. The size of your dish will determine how much macaroni you will need. For my 3-quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven, 1 lb. was enough. If you are not sure, go ahead and use 2 lbs. You can always use the leftover for something else.
  4. Drain the macaroni and add about a 3/4 stick of butter cut into cubes, and stir until melted.
  5. Set macaroni aside and allow it to cool for 20 minutes or so.
  6. If cooking in cast iron, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. If cooking in glass, preheat to 400 degrees F.
  7. Generously coat the dish you are using with butter.
  8. Begin to build your macaroni and cheese. Add a single layer of macaroni. Then, add a light layer of mozzarella, then sharp cheddar, and then Monterey Jack cheese. I always do the sharp cheddar second because of the contrasting color with the white cheeses. It makes it easier to see where I’ve been when spreading the last white cheese.
  9. After the layer of cheeses, sprinkle a very sparse layer of dried basil.
  10. Repeat. Add a layer of macaroni followed by layers of mozzarella, sharp cheddar, and Monterey Jack cheeses. Follow again with the sparse layer of dried basil.
  11. Repeat one last time. On this last layer, the presentation layer, you want the cheeses to be a little more mixed. You don’t want all of the white cheeses on top. Should be a nice mix. So kind of alternate your cheeses so the top looks mixed – not all one color.
  12. Sprinkle on one last sparse layer of dried basil.
  13. Then, on the top only, sprinkle a light layer of Parmesan cheese followed by a light layer of Pecorino Romano cheese.
  14. Top the dish off with an ultra light layer of Hungarian paprika for color. Use a shaker so you don’t get clumps.
  15. In a blender, combine 3 cups of milk, 4 eggs, 3 tsp. sea salt, and 3 tsp. white sugar. Blend for about 15 seconds. How much of this you will need to make will depend on how large of dish you are using.
  16. Pour the milk/egg mixture slowly into the center of the macaroni. Pour slowly so that you do not disturb your layer of Parmesan, Pecorino Romano, and paprika. Keep an eye on the edges of the dish and fill to just below the top of the last layer of macaroni. The cheese should mound above the macaroni and milk/egg mixture.
  17. Cover the dish with a lid or foil, and put in the oven for 30 minutes.
  18. After 30 minutes, remove lid or foil and cook an additional 30 minutes. Keep an eye on it for the last ten minutes so that you DON’T scorch the top. The top should just be lightly browned. If the top begins to get too brown, put the lid back on or tent the dish with foil. It does need the full hour in the oven.
  19. After your macaroni and cheese has cooked for one hour, test the center for doneness. This dish should be relatively firm, not soupy or runny. Insert something like a bamboo skewer into the center of the dish, all the way to the bottom. If a runny liquid is released, your dish is not done. Cover and put back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes or so, then check it again. Time will vary on this dish depending on what you cook it in. Deeper dishes take longer to cook.
  20. Allow the dish to rest for 10 minutes or so before serving.

I got the recipe from The Culinary Fanatic, I added some pepper jack for some spice with the monterey and used evaporated milk to make it a little creamier.

GymWolf

The only time i had thanksgiving dinner in america i was disappointed, but i was in miami with a (rich) cuban family so maybe over there thanksgiving is not that famous\important to put much effort in it...

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Probably a frozen pizza or something.

I’ll be avoiding people to watch college basketball and play Warzone all day long.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Finding the delicate balance between drinking enough light domestic beer to make family and the Detroit Lions tolerable while leaving room for turkey and dressing.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Trader Joe’s Breaded Turkey-Less Stuffed Roast with gravy. I had it last year too. They sell out super fast, so you have to get them early. I love it. I’ve also never liked the traditional Turkey on any occasion. My kids eat meat, but this is what I’m having.
oMmdROL.jpg

Last edited:

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Shrooms, Mountain Dew, and Dutch Apple Pie (with Turkey Hill All Natural vanilla ice cream).

Plan on Watching the Seven Samurai before gaming all evening. Living the dream!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
One of those Jennie-O turkey breast things
Cranberry Sauce
Sweet Potato Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Mashed Potatoes
Rolls?

Probably some kind of pie too.

It's just the two of us since we're hunkering down this Thanksgiving. Probably gonna be a lot of leftovers.

appaws

Banned
Can’t go visit my mom in Chi-town cause of the ‘rona.

Asked the wife to make me a pumpkin pie using my mom’s recipe. We do the turkey stuffed with the super fennel-ly Italian style stuffing. Couple nice bottles of Prosecco and some egg nog with Woodford Reserve. Finish off the new season of “The Crown,” which is excellent by the way....maybe some nice pilgrim style lovemaking.

Eric187

Banned
Hanging with the family with a side of corona and the inevitable guilt the media will put on us for being human

Deep fried turkey
Smoked turkey
Brown sugar glazed ham
Green bean casserole
Mashed potatoes w/ country gravy
Grilled corn on the cob
Candied yams
Apple pie
Caramel cheese cake

But the most important is obviously the deviled eggs

Celcius

°Temp. member
Depends... I'm debating whether to stay home alone or go visit my family who lives 45 minutes away. The virus is no joke.

Top Bottom