• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 1880's were the best time period to live in America.

Yoboman

I see it as life sucked but the trade off was a chance of making a shit ton of money at some point.
Chances of that aren't really high. Sure maybe you're a one in a million to settle on oil or gold land, but you might as well just live today and enter the lottery

Thaedolus

Until humanity becomes The Road, I don’t think there’s another time in the past I’d like to live in. Unless I had no idea what was to come, then maaaaybe I’d go back to being a kid in the late 80s and 90s

jason10mm

Gold Member
No one hit the gym, either.
An astonishingly low 20% body fat, shredded to the tits, pinnacle of human performance my good sir!

EcmuZmx.png

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I see it as life sucked but the trade off was a chance of making a shit ton of money at some point.
That only matters if you are one of those people who would rather see your coworkers get a $2000 drop in pay and yours stays the same, rather than everyone gets a $1000 pay raise.
All the money in the world couldn't buy you half the shit that we take for granted.

Extreme racial prejudice and legalized discrimination, women are effectively property with no personal liberties, no worker’s rights—enjoy getting worked to death in those industrial revolution factories, no modern medicine, rampant illiteracy and little to no access to higher education outside of the elites, no real standards for any goods and services—enjoy the lead contamination…
hammer-hitting-nail-on-head.jpg

FunkMiller

The best time period to live in a democratic society is always the here and now, because the overall progress of that society is always skewed towards the positive… thus far anyway.

Last edited:

Dark Star

Until humanity becomes The Road, I don’t think there’s another time in the past I’d like to live in. Unless I had no idea what was to come, then maaaaybe I’d go back to being a kid in the late 80s and 90s

I agree. I don't think there was any period in America more kind to most people than the 80's and 90's. The overall culture was wholesome.

Good music, good movies, good video games. I’m no economist, but I assume there was a really solid economy boom mid 80's - late 90's based on the culture stuff. It was a nice bubble before the explosion of internet/social media tech/smartphones, and also mass outsourcing of trade, goods, manufacturing, jobs, etc.

Besides the cold war, gulf war, not much conflict as well. Maybe the war on drugs, crack/heroin epidemic, and obviously poverty and racial stuff has always been an issue.

But with my nostalgia goggles on, I would love to time travel back to 1980 and watch everything unfold until around 2001. Then I'd skip 9/11 "back to the future" style and see what's up in 2023 lol.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I agree. I don't think there was any period in America more kind to MOST people than the 80's and 90's.

Good music, movies, video games, job growth, solid economy mid 80's - late 90's, etc. It was a nice bubble before the explosion of internet/social media tech/smartphones, and also outsourcing of trade, goods, manufacturing, jobs, etc. Besides the cold war, not much conflict as well. Maybe the war on drugs, crack/heroin epidemic, and obviously poverty and racial stuff has always been an issue.

But with my nostalgia goggles on, I would love to time travel back to 1980 and watch everything unfold until around 2001. Then I'd skip 9/11 "back to the future" style and see what's up in 2023 lol.
I like modern day because I'm set in life, but am happy I enjoyed the 80s and 90s. Before tech took over, people actually hung out, watched TV or VHS tapes and low and behold played video games together on the couch.

Whether you're a kid or adult, there was a sense of doing shit on your own like checking out movie rental stores with your siblings, and if you needed something you had to go to the mall and look around yourself even if it means taking a bus on your own and hoping you got exact change. Or begging your older brother to give you lift. No cell phones, so it was all about coordinating a meeting spot and time. Looking back it might had seemed like a pain, but it encourages friends and fam to stick together even if it means you and your bro do your own thing for a few hours that afternoon. Because you'll meet up later on to ride home and maybe pick up some Mcdonalds too.

I see almost no kids riding bikes or playing street hockey. Though to be fair, there's a lot more basketball nets on people's driveways (the ones you put up on a stand and not bolted above the garage door like the 80s). And as amazing as modern day tech is spoonfeeding people what to do and having access to things with the click of a button to buy something or submit an online form or find a job, people seem dumber than ever. You'd think with such easy access to things to get through life and learn about stuff simply by skimming anything you want to read on the net for free, a lot of modern day people waste their opportunities.

And back then there was zero politics, unless it actually was politics like a bunch of politicians talking in the House of Parliament, and there would be footage of them being the most boring people ever. Now it's a contest of which social media or corporate assholes want to churn out the most political clickbait content fighting for ratings. Back then, that kind of goofy stuff was isolated in National Equirer or ultra niche groups most people would never hear of unless they were part of some odd group who communicated through mail and brochure subscriptions. Now it's in mainstream media and is basically unavoidable.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
  1. -Prospects for the future had never been brighter; people knew that they were living in a very special time.
I hate this revisionist view that it was a ‘very special time’. No, it wasn’t, 90% of population was dirt poor and even more money was concentrated in the hands of the rich. If you were unlucky to be born in a rural town or as a peasant your life was set, period.

I see America’s exceptionalism is alive and well.

DavidGzz

40 years...I'd be maxed out. Instead, I'm a juicy kent at 40 in 2022. No video games either. I guess 40 may be long enough back then lol

Banned
I mean if you want to live in an extremely racist country with low life expectancy and zero education, basically being an alway sick, stupid and racist person with nothing to look forward to in life other than hard labor for 35 years until you die a horrible death... then sure! great times!

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
there's too much you have to exempt for this to be true.

honestly what actually be the best decade overall? i'm thinking 90s. feel like that decade had the best of the modern world with a lot less drawbacks. maybe even the 00s but the whole 9/11 thing kind is a bit of bummer for that decade
Dallas Cowboys Dynasty kind of sucked

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
As an outsider, 1950s to 2000 seems to be the peak of American civilization and standards of living- especially 80s and 90s.

Unparalleled levels of prosperity in general, rapid technological advancements yet social life not completely taken over by them, peace and security, no global power even close to USA, no extreme woke shit, pride in nation but but not too much racial prejudice.

Growing up in USA in 80s and 90s must've been super awesome.

YuLY

But other than that, the 1880's were undoubtedly the best time to live in human history.
Umm...you mean besides Video Games, Movies, Music...you know...entertainment that actually makes this existance livable? the hell were you doing all day? work and then go to sleep? No thanks, I like being a milennial

jason10mm

Gold Member
Alas, HIV ruined the 1980s and 90s for free and easy sex compared to the 60s and 70s. And do ANY of you guys really want to go back to Atari games and colecovision?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The morals of those days were abhorrent and it was a dog eat dog attitude. Industrial revolution sounds fun when you’re not the one working in a factory or coal mine to feed your family with barely any workplace regulation. No income tax doesnt matter since you’d be makin shit money anyways. No gun laws is indeed cool, but they didn’t exactly need to worry about a school shooting from your muzzle loaded black powder rifle.

I know twitter is annoying and going to the DMV or post office is horrible but naw I’ll take 2020s America and all its welts over yesteryear. I could maybe see an argument for 50s and 60s being better if you’re white or even 80s and 90s but 1890s wtf lol

Also riding on a horse everywhere in town would be fun for exactly one week before the novelty wears off.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The morals of those days were abhorrent and it was a dog eat dog attitude. Industrial revolution sounds fun when you’re not the one working in a factory or coal mine to feed your family with barely any workplace regulation. No income tax doesnt matter since you’d be makin shit money anyways. No gun laws is indeed cool, but they didn’t exactly need to worry about a school shooting from your muzzle loaded black powder rifle.

I know twitter is annoying and going to the DMV or post office is horrible but naw I’ll take 2020s America and all its welts over yesteryear. I could maybe see an argument for 50s and 60s being better if you’re white or even 80s and 90s but 1890s wtf lol

Also riding on a horse everywhere in town would be fun for exactly one week before the novelty wears off.
If you’re looking for guns, riding horses, and no income tax, you don’t need a time machine, just come to Texas.

jason10mm

Gold Member
shocked school GIF
Kimetsu No Yaiba What GIF by iQiyi

Shock What GIF
Scared Neon Genesis Evangelion GIF

Okay, shit sounded bad before, but now living in the 1880’s is objectively a horror movie experience. Fuck that shit.
Nonsense. You could make those little flip book animation things, so up skirt panty flash tentacle hentai pron is still a possibility :p

Top Bottom