• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2021 Golden Joystick Awards

Pedro Motta

And the award for Most Triggered goes to.....

@SoloKingRobert

zjt5DZU.png
Someone should remove these reactions from this forum, it only promotes douchebags with no argumentation skills to stalk your every post and harrass everyone with LOL and Triggered emojis, discouraging proper responses.

Topher

Gold Member
It's not a problem that you liked Mass Effect, it's an awesome game, but giving old games GOTY removes the whole idea of having GOTY in the first place. I'm in the same boat, my most favorite games this year were games from previous years, but to superimpose them into yearly rankings just ruins the whole thing. You are trying to peg a rectangle into a hole shaped like a triangle.

How was Mass Effect Legendary Edition "superimposed" into the GOTY voting?

Any award show left up to people to vote is just gonna be a disaster.

Thats why i roll my eyes at people complaining about TGAs and wanting more fan input. Look at this shit They were about to award a 10 year old game for GOTY 2021

Last edited:

Mozzarella

It was best hardware, not best console.
Yeah, the award was called best hardware but im sure at some point i heard them saying the best console, its like they consider PC a competitor among the console when PC was always an open platform, its not a console that has a generation in it, so that was confusing to make it part of the competition, with that said i totally agree that its the best, i mean its obvious, it technically has 90% of the all the consoles into it via emulation and it has more uses than just games, with strong graphics, huge library, engines, programs, used to make mods, even games and many many other things, so its like an obvious choice, but if i was the one making this award i would never include PC in it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
PlayStation GOTY - Resident Evil Village
Xbox GOTY - Psychonauts 2

Nintendo GOTY - Metroid Dread

damn, didnt know Village is only available on Playstation and psychonauts 2 is only available on Xbox.

Its “Playstation GOTY” not “Playstation Exclusive GOTY”

Last edited:
Sheesh I don't even think Resident Evil Village was the best game released by Capcom this year, and playstation studios kicked ass this year....RE8 being the 'best' offering from the ps5 this year is a bit of an insult imo lol...I don't understand how anyone played damn near a quarter of the 'major' releases this year and arrived at Resident Evil 8 being the best on the ps5 lol, and I enjoyed the game, I really did...but GOTY for Playstation? Or out of all the competition?....What the hell lol

Last edited:

Lupin25

Sheesh I don't even think Resident Evil Village was the best game released by Capcom this year, and playstation studios kicked ass this year....RE8 being the 'best' offering from the ps5 this year is a bit of an insult imo lol...I don't understand how anyone played damn near a quarter of the 'major' releases this year and arrived at Resident Evil 8 being the best on the ps5 lol, and I enjoyed the game, I really did...but GOTY for Playstation? Or out of all the competition?....What the hell lol

It was a cool game, deservedly amongst the other choices. There’s no clear cut standouts this year; no “10/10” per se.

Personally, the bigger crime is not at least giving Returnal a nomination for GOTY (although I admit it’s not as popular as the other nominees).

It was a cool game, deservedly amongst the other choices. There’s no clear cut standouts this year; no “10/10” per se.

Personally, the bigger crime is not at least giving Returnal a nomination for GOTY (although I admit it’s not as popular as the other nominees).
I hear you, and like I said I agree - it was an enjoyable game....but nowhere near the top of the list for me and I guess I didn't realize folks loved it that much. I felt like it kinda came and went..especially since all of that promo with the villain didn't necessarily 'pay off' all that good in the game with the actual execution.

I honestly felt like it was just another okay multiplatform game to hold people over until some of the years other releases hit. I guess some folks just liked it more than me, but hey to each their own - I respect it :messenger_peace:..I beat a bunch of games this year on ps5/series x/pc/and switch and this was one of the one's I kinda forgot about.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Returnal and Rachet & Clank are both so much better than Resident Evil Village, but I see how RE8 could win.

Both Returnal and R&C are PS5 exclusives and sold around 1-2 million copies by now. RE8 was a cross-gen game and, therefore, sold more than the other two games. If the awards are being determined primarily by user votes, the game with the widest reach will likely win, even if it is not the best.

That's why I am more pissed at TGA than this, where critics could see the brilliance of a game without getting affected by the number of copies the game sold. And those idiots neglected a gem like Returnal.

Returnal and Rachet & Clank are both so much better than Resident Evil Village, but I see how RE8 could win.

Both Returnal and R&C are PS5 exclusives and sold around 1-2 million copies by now. RE8 was a cross-gen game and, therefore, sold more than the other two games. If the awards are being determined primarily by user votes, the game with the widest reach will likely win, even if it is not the best.

That's why I am more pissed at TGA than this, where critics could see the brilliance of a game without getting affected by the number of copies the game sold. And those idiots neglected a gem like Returnal.
Thats a great point also and its something I kinda hinted at...For example Monster Hunter Rise is reviewed higher on Metacritic by 'professionals' and the fans in both categories...and its at like over 7 million sold globally compared to a little over 5 million globally for Resident Evil Village...It wasn't even Capcoms best reviewed and/or best selling game for 2021....Its just odd...but Resident Evil IS more popular for the 'casual/everybody' crowd so I get that too.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

It was probably over for Returnal the moment they had to start over after dying for some journalists I bet

Flabagast

Looks like most generic open world with people just standing there and talking. Trailing missions included. Collectibles and repetitive open world stuff too. I felt the same about days gone and it was terrible but at least funny.
got seems like exactly the game I want to avoid. But I am set to try it on ps5 anyway because 2nd son was great.
hope you are right!
Believe it or not, the game is even more generic and repetitive than you think it is.

you will see once you play it

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I didn't know that but I'm not surprised
Then you missed out on one "amazing" review, which gave Returnal 6/10 and started with:
The art of building a quality roguelite is in the sleight of hand. In order to finish the game, the player needs to improve their skill. But that is a tedious and laborious process.

And had golden nuggets like this which proved that he didn't even play the game:
My low point with Returnal came as I was struggling to get through the second biome. The monotony of the runs was getting to me, and I would’ve put the game down if I wasn’t reviewing it.

When people like Grubb are a part of the jury (which weighs for 90% of the votes, while fan votes are only 10%), Returnal not being on the GOTY list is indeed not surprising.

Last edited:
PlayStation GOTY - Resident Evil Village. How? I thought all fans love those exclusives.

Someone should remove these reactions from this forum, it only promotes douchebags with no argumentation skills to stalk your every post and harrass everyone with LOL and Triggered emojis, discouraging proper responses.
I think it just should be reduced to thumbs up only.

Last edited:

Lupin25

It was probably over for Returnal the moment they had to start over after dying for some journalists I bet

That, the “$70” and the inherent difficulty probably intimidated quite a few people around launch (which means a lot of people have missed out on a great game) — you remember the headlines around that time lol.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Then you missed out on one "amazing" review, which gave Returnal 6/10 and started with:

And had golden nuggets like this which proved that he didn't even play the game:

When people like Grubb are a part of the jury (which weighs for 90% of the votes, while fan votes are only 10%), Returnal not being on the GOTY list is indeed not surprising.
Yeah that sounds about as off as him comparing Halo Infinite to Breath of the Wild 🤣

Topher

Gold Member
Because it doesn't belong there but people with your conviction will superimpose it there because you don't understand what game of the year is.

Yeah.....that pretty much comes down to you not liking others having opinions that disagree with yours.

80627255.jpg

And with that I'm done

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
PlayStation GOTY - Resident Evil Village
Xbox GOTY - Psychonauts 2

Nintendo GOTY - Metroid Dread

damn, didnt know Village is only available on Playstation and psychonauts 2 is only available on Xbox.
Alright at least this is where FH5 could have been. Not even commenting on Playstation GotY...

Top Bottom