• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 60s Radicals That America Forgot (video essay - Ryan Chapman)

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I thought this topic would be ok to post here since, while the video in question does deal with a topic that is political in nature, it doesn't advocate for one political viewpoint over another, instead explicitly choosing to present an objective analysis for its own sake - something we need more of in an increasingly divided culture.

I felt this guy deserves his own thread. I've watched almost all of his videos now and thought I would share. This guy objectively explains things like Marxism and its offshoots such as Critical Race Theory and other relevant political topics/movements after a careful and unbiased read of the relevant literature with a scholar's intellect. It would be easy to mistake him as a leftist at first glance, but he does not divulge his own personal politics, instead choosing to objectively understand and give a detailed and thorough analysis of each topic.

This particular video looks at the origins of Cultural Marxism in the protest movements of the 1960s, juxtaposing actual liberals like MLK (who advocated for peaceful integration and equal treatment under the law) against radical leftist Marxists like the Black Panthers, who, as part of their push to cause a violent Revolution, intentionally conflated two very different things that we still discuss as falling under the umbrella "liberalism". Chapman's essential thesis is that radical violent leftists in the 1960s intentionally conflated Marxist concepts like the oppressor/oppressed narrative and the need violent revolution with peaceful liberalism, which simply calls for equal protections under the law and a fair playing field (and is essentially Capitalist in nature).

What we can get to from Chapman's thesis is that "liberalism" and "leftism" are two different things, but that they have been confused, whether intentionally or not, to the detriment of a liberal democratic society.

The above is an hour long video, so if you aren't ready to sit down and dive into it, there are shorter but similar videos on his channel:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Kony-2012.jpg

Top Bottom