• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The ABK deal is the biggest thing to happen to the console business since SEGA stopped making consoles - Agree or disagree?

Do you think that the ABK deal is the biggest thing to happen since SEGA left console development?

• Yes

Votes: 65 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • I think it's something else (Say in post)

Votes: 7 6.7%

• Total voters
It hasn't happened tho, we need to wait for it to actually go through to see what repercussions it has.
If it doesn't would be disastrous for Activision. Which qualify as one if the biggest thing to happen in the videogame industry.

Either way, is already the biggest thing to happen.

@Celine

I see what you're saying, but no one is immune. As you can see from your graph, Nintendo went into loss for years during the Wii U. That can kill a company. What would've happened if the Switch wasn't as successful? Or say they made another device that wasn't as successful and hit them hard like the Wii U?

But back to my main point, Sony's entrance into the console realm did the biggest disruption in console history imo. Nintendo had a headlock on the industry for many years, with SEGA trying hard to break that. Even Atari suffocated. Then came Sony and disrupted that whole system. Heck even Bill Gates saw PlayStation as a threat to his Windows, being in every living room. Imagine that. That spurred the creation of the Xbox.
And now Xbox is doing the same thing.

Meta and their metaverse talk probably disagree. And while I have yet to hear a convincing argument why this could succeed, if it does, in the scale they envision it, it would be bigger.
Meta is not about gaming.

But yes, metaverse as a concept (no the marketing talk) is already happening for several years. And clearly is a fucking big deal.

Crayon

Either when ms entered because something like this was eventually going to happen (can't believe it took this long) or the Wii's shocking success by withdrawing from the normal console template.

LRKD

I'd say no, I don't think the blizzard deal is, at all a big deal. It seems incredibly overblown.
I mean wouldn't Microsoft entering the Xbox into the industry be the biggest thing in-between Sega leaving, and Xbox buying blizzard? Or perhaps the creation of steam? While steam isn't a console, it's definitely impacted gaming as a whole in a big way.

Crayon

I'd say no, I don't think the blizzard deal is, at all a big deal. It seems incredibly overblown.
I mean wouldn't Microsoft entering the Xbox into the industry be the biggest thing in-between Sega leaving, and Xbox buying blizzard? Or perhaps the creation of steam? While steam isn't a console, it's definitely impacted gaming as a whole in a big way.

Actually yeah, steam. It wasn't really a single event but then again maybe it was. Seemed like another shitty drm launcher but it ended up changing everything.

Top Bottom