• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Accidental Sex Offender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eteric Rice said:
I'm starting to think we should just do like in the Song of Ice and Fire books, after the girl goes through her first period, she can have sex.

Would probably work better than our current laws.
Girls got their periods later in the time period ASOIAF predicts, though. Girls are starting to mature younger and faster now thanks to the shit we eat.

bengraven

Friend of ours are in the same situation. Only it's even worse.

He was 17.
She was 16.
He turns 18 and she's still 16.
Step mother gets hair up her ass and calls the police.
Now he's 37 and still a registered sex offender and needs to register every time he moves.
Fun twist:

His wife walked into a courthouse once to try and get this revoked, especially since the step mother later relented and sided with the guy.

Cop takes a look at the case and says, "Well, we need verification from the victim to even begin to fix this issue, but I can't promise you even then that we would...wait...what? This says your name is the victim's?"

"Yes," she says, "we've been married for almost 20 years and have 4 children. And the state of Florida still says I'm a rape victim".

Jamesfrom818 said:
If you're out of high school, you shouldn't date high school students unless you were already dating before graduating.
So in other words if an 18 year old is dating a 14 year old, so long as they dated while in high school then continued after... it's okay, right?

Because this prerequisite for 'okay'-ness has a loophole.

ZephyrFate said:
So in other words if an 18 year old is dating a 14 year old, so long as they dated while in high school then continued after... it's okay, right?

Because this prerequisite for 'okay'-ness has a loophole.

Seniors go after freshmen all the time.

The Lamp

I don't see much wrong with this considering it's the law, most everybody in Texas knows that there's an age of consent, and I believe a parent has the right to discipline their minor if they're in sexual behavior they don't approve of.

Break the law, pay the penalty.

Now, I do believe that the consequences of breaking this law are absurdly unfair and in this case turned out very unfortunate for these two. That needs to change.

But as of right now, this is the law, so don't be surprised when you break it.

It's not "accidental sexual offender", they both consented to the sex.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Seniors go after freshmen all the time.
Well, I know, but in the eyes of the law it's 4 years, not 3 years, or even 2 years. Logically, your idea should work, but in the eyes of legality, it doesn't.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Dr Eggman said:
19 - 15 is really not that bad...

It really isn't. Neither one was even 20! 5 years and I can SORT of see the argument (even though frankly, in my opinion, most girls know perfectly well what they're doing by 15). This kind of shit is fucking horrible. This poor man's life was basically ruined all because he reciprocated love with someone who was just a touch too young in the law's eyes.

Just another example of the insanely repressed and paranoid sexual views of the United states harming two perfectly innocent people.

Mandatory sentences are bullshit, and force judges hands in situations like this. Turn back the clock a few decades, and the judge could have looked at this, and come up with solution that would have sent a message to the young man, the mother, and the daughter.

And don't let scuzzy prosecutors off the hook. They went after this case, like they so often do, because they could get an easy win and some nice statistics for their record. It's not about justice or any naive concept like that, it's about padding your record and enhancing your career. Who cares if some plebs get their lives crushed, so long as the young prosecutor can look good, get another gold star on his report card, and use it to move on to bigger and cushier jobs?

luoapp

bengraven said:
"Yes," she says, "we've been married for almost 20 years and have 4 children. And the state of Florida still says I'm a rape victim".

The girls eventually marrying the boys is the silver lining of this and OP's stories. True love!!

Spokker

JasonUresti said:
Mandatory sentences are bullshit, and force judges hands in situations like this.
Mandatory sentencing requirements are a way for legislatures to become the judges. It's like stripping the third branch of government of some of its power. They don't want to let judges, you know, judge.

Tuck

Every so often, a thread pops up about this topic. And I always wonder why its not a bigger issue. Teens are getting arrested for having consensual sex. Do their lives deserve to be ruined for that? Laws definitely need to be amended to make sure that innocent people don't end up punished.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Tuck said:
Every so often, a thread pops up about this topic. And I always wonder why its not a bigger issue. Teens are getting arrested for having consensual sex. Do their lives deserve to be ruined for that? Laws definitely need to be amended to make sure that innocent people don't end up punished.
B-b-b-but THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

LA LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOU!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I love living in a country where the laws exist to try and entrap us as quickly as possible. IT'S AWESOME.
Piercedveil said:
This is terrible. I feel bad for the guy, especially since it was something that happened forever ago and isn't that bad.
It's not just "not that bad". He's fucking MARRIED to her.

bengraven

luoapp said:
The girls eventually marrying the boys is the silver lining of this and OP's stories. True love!!

It makes very awkward holidays when they meet up with the parents who called the police on him. haha

thetrin said:
I love living in a country where the laws exist to try and entrap us as quickly as possible. IT'S AWESOME.

It's not just "not that bad". He's fucking MARRIED to her.

Sorry, didn't quite come out right. What I meant was "IT'S ALL GOOD." Especially since it was consensual.. I mean, come on now.

tirminyl

Tuck said:

Not just that but sexting and sending pics to each-other will land their ass on the registry. It's crazy when parents like this flip out when they did the same thing when younger. Instead of talking to kids, they go the most extreme route and destroy their very adulthood while they are at it.

The OP is just crazy. Had to move out his parents place because his sister was underage and couldn't live with his kids. Yeah, something needs to be done for things like this.

Dragon

Banned
Guys guys guys, there's a simple formula here. Your age divided by two and then add seven. He's full in his rights based on all internet laws.

Jin34

Ugh this is why all these laws about "sex offenders" are fucked up but it's nigh impossible to argue this when people hear sex offender and they automatically think pedobear rapist.

2th

Banned
parrotbeak said:
That's gotta be some awkward family dinners with the mother in law.

yeah i dont think i would let that bitch anywhere near my family if i was that guy. bitch screwed him for life. completely and utterly screwed him. i would never forgive that.

Lamel

Banned
19-16 would have been ok, but that's a bit too far away for those ages. BUT he doesn't deserve to be a sex offender damn. It was consensual!

LuchaShaq

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I happen to think that "the man who passes the judgement, does the execution" is a pretty good idea. :p

Also war being wound back to a hand to hand style with the political figure heads physically involved would be a good thing in my book.

Politician x "You mean I have to risk my life? Fuck this shit leave them alone I guess"

2th said:
yeah i dont think i would let that bitch anywhere near my family if i was that guy. bitch screwed him for life. completely and utterly screwed him. i would never forgive that.
Well, that's his kids' grandma. Can't punish the kids for her stupid mistake 20 years ago. And it's his wife's mom, so she's family, so I would think the healthy thing would be to let it go. But ya, it'd be hard not to make digs once in a while. "Lemme just go pick the kids up from school--oh wait!"

lawblob said:
Yet another example. When in doubt, never, ever, ever talk to the police without consulting a lawyer first.
Don't snitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

krae_man

This and those three strikes your out laws are all nonsense. They catch people they shouldn't and nobody will do anything about it because any reasonable debate or solutions offered will be met with being acused of being "soft on crime" or "pro child rape" and stuff.

I have a feeling it's going to be almost impossible for anyone to get their name removed new that the law making it possible went through. The people who make the decision are going to be scarred shitless about getting blamed for someone reoffending after getting their name removed.

The guy in this article is probably okay though as he married the women he was charged with raping. I could see Texas making this situation the only one that will qualify for getting your name off the list.

dacuk

Ninja Scooter said:
I'm just going by my own perception, not what should and shouldn't be law. If you are out of high school, you shouldn't date HS girls. Just seems strange. I used to find it weird when I was a senior and my fellow senior friends tried to hook up with freshman girls. At the same time, i'm not saying it's okay that this guys life is fucked permanently for a something he did consensually when he was a teenager.

That is, if the maturity of the guys 19 yrs. old were the same of the gals 19 yrs. old. But as it is widely know, girls grow before guys their same age, so gals 15 and more look for boyfriends on 18 +, as they are on the same level of maturity.
That's the way it happens on my country, were teenager girls normally have their first boyfriend of 4 or 5 yrs. older.

Sorry for my crappy English.

2th said:
...what? She goofed for sure, but it's not like she set out to ruin his life. And when shit got serious, she actually tried to save the dude instead of just sitting idly by.

Hell, even from a purely practical standpoint, you sure as hell would want her on your side when appealing the judgment.

Spokker

krae_man said:
This and those three strikes your out laws are all nonsense.
Three strikes is a bit different in that they do catch people who are robbing people and what not. These people deserve to be punished.

And listen, if you've got to strikes and get put away for life for stealing an Xbox, I see the point of detractors but I also don't think that's on the same level as the guy in the original post being put on a sex offender list for life. I have a lot more sympathy for the sex offender who shouldn't be there.

Jin34

daCuk said:
That is, if the maturity of the guys 19 yrs. old were the same of the gals 19 yrs. old. But as it is widely know, girls grow before guys their same age, so gals 15 and more look for boyfriends on 18 +, as they are on the same level of maturity.
That's the way it happens on my country, were teenager girls normally have their first boyfriend of 4 or 5 yrs. older.

Sorry for my crappy English.

I have never bought this argument from my own experience. They grow faster physically, maturity wise boys and girls that age are all retards.

Eteric Rice

MidnightScott said:
They are married and have kids together. Take him off the fucking list.

Pretty much. The person who was abused should be able to veto it if they say they weren't abused at a later age.

Spokker

Eteric Rice said:
Pretty much. The person who was abused should be able to veto it if they say they weren't abused at a later age.
Some well-meaning laws strip victims of their rights including the right not to prosecute.

A good example are mandatory no drop laws. If a partner doesn't want to press charges against the other partner for domestic violence they don't have that right in some places.

http://www.seattle.gov/courts/prob/dvprob.htm

If charges are filed, only the prosecutor has the authority to drop them. A judge must approve the prosecutor's request to dismiss a case. The victim is a witness for the City and has no authority to drop charges. In many cases, the City will prosecute a case even if the victim refuses to testify.

In both of these cases, the victim, being of sound mind and without evidence of coercion, should be able to drop the charges.

bengraven said:
Friend of ours are in the same situation. Only it's even worse.

He was 17.
She was 16.
He turns 18 and she's still 16.
Step mother gets hair up her ass and calls the police.
Now he's 37 and still a registered sex offender and needs to register every time he moves.
Fun twist:

His wife walked into a courthouse once to try and get this revoked, especially since the step mother later relented and sided with the guy.

Cop takes a look at the case and says, "Well, we need verification from the victim to even begin to fix this issue, but I can't promise you even then that we would...wait...what? This says your name is the victim's?"

WTF!! Sincerely, I mean now they are a legal couple. Odd laws.

krae_man

Spokker said:
Three strikes is a bit different in that they do catch people who are robbing people and what not. These people deserve to be punished.

And listen, if you've got to strikes and get put away for life for stealing an Xbox, I see the point of detractors but I also don't think that's on the same level as the guy in the original post being put on a sex offender list for life. I have a lot more sympathy for the sex offender who shouldn't be there.

No, it's exactly the same. There are people whose third strike was for shoplifting, and others who didn't have a single violent crime on their record(eg bouncing cheques and things like that).

Spokker

krae_man said:
No, it's exactly the same. There are people whose third strike was for shoplifting, and others who didn't have a single violent crime on their record(eg bouncing cheques and things like that).
They were still committing crimes that should be crimes, though. The guy in the original post committed something that should not be a crime.

If you have two strikes you better be careful. Be a model citizen. Otherwise we don't want you anymore.

Frank was 19 years old, a recent high school graduate in the town of Caldwell, Texas. That's when he first had sex with Nikki Prescott, his future wife. The two had been dating for nearly a year; the sex was consensual. However, the legal age of consent in Texas is 17, and Nikki was just shy of 16.

He was 19.
She was 15.

19/2+7=16.5

LOCK HIM UP. In all seriousness though, common sense says he should be dropped from the registry considering he married her.

Orayn

Cereal KiIIer said:
What a shit hole of a country. Is there anything good left in the States?
1. Isn't that a bit of a dramatic?
2. We've got some decent metal bands, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom