• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The age of moving out of your parents house

Trogdor1123

Left at 19 myself for university (which is not even close to the real world) and I loved it but it cost me so much money. Between loans and doing my masters I literally (yesterday) just paid back all my loans. I’m 41. I told my kids to stay home and mooch for as long as they are in school. I’ll pay for everything if they do good. It will make their life so much easier.

Fuz

Banned
This is really dependant on local social customs.
USA and UK, from my understanding, are really strict on leaving the parents' house as soon as adulthood age is reached.
Where I live it's common for people to live in with their parents for much longer... actually, mostly people move out only when got a reason to do it: a job/university in another city or marriage for example.
I think the family enviroment is much more tight and chiller here. I'm talking south of Italy, especially, 'cause the north are american wannabes.

Fuz

Banned
You never kick out your children unless they're assholes, and you never put your elderly parents in a senior home but take them in and care for them as a family.

That's how it should be, ideally, and when I lived in Spain, I've seen that work very well. Households with three or four generations of a family living in them are not unusual at all.
That's my stance too, but the "senior home" argument is way too complicated and on-case basis to just draw a line.
I'd personally die before putting my parents' in a nursing home, since how much they sacrificed to care for child-Fuz, but you can have very difficult situations that you can't judge without having lived them yourself.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Hard to imagine living with my parents in my 30s. How does one get laid in that environment?

a43c0487-02ad-42b3-91c2-5ccf205f1799.b46374c6bfa3293272674fbd4a37b83c.jpeg

fleshlight-flight-pilot-compact-male-masturbator-masturbators-28491514642509_600x.jpg

Aesius

I was nearly 21 years old when I moved out and felt ANCIENT at the time. But now I think it was a pretty good age to move out. I wouldn't have been ready at 18.

Depends on financial situation and culture.

Back home in South Africa its not uncommon for people to live with their parents until well into their 40's in some cases as housing is damn expensive and out of the reach of most due to large percentage of the population living below the poverty line.

I have some friends still living on their parents premises but in separate entrances. Some even build their own tiny home on their parents property. Housing is becoming increasingly expensive.

gimmmick

Left my parents place after I finished up my classes for culinary school and landed my internship at 20 back in 2005. I don't know how kids are able to afford to move out at the same age in present day.

I moved out when I was 23.

I don’t care if people are older and live with their parents because they simply can’t afford to move out, cost of rent, and buying a house, is absolutely ridiculous, but, if they’re living with their parents because they are lazy sacks of shit who don’t feel like working and just mooch off their parents, those are losers.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
parents who kick their kids out at 18 are getting sent straight to the nursing homes :messenger_confounded:

I think 24-25 is a good age. done with college and a year or two of being able to save up for a home

that being said, I left the house at 17

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I think I was 25 when I moved out. Moved in with two roommates, who were friends at the time.

Moved in with my wife at 32.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I moved out when I was 23.

I don’t care if people are older and live with their parents because they simply can’t afford to move out, cost of rent, and buying a house, is absolutely ridiculous, but, if they’re living with their parents because they are lazy sacks of shit who don’t feel like working and just mooch off their parents, those are losers.
When my kids were younger and in high school (and shit here wasn't so bleak) I gave them options.

If you turn 18, and you're not planning on going to college or the military, you're out.
Once you graduate college, you're welcome to stay as long as you're working.

I mean technically I've kinda stuck with that, but if my son lost his job or something I wouldn't kick him out now.

killatopak

Gold Member
I love my family too much to kick them out or to leave.

My Grandma with Dementia lives with us too so I have to take care of her as well. Has a lot of various sickness too with old age like arthritis and heart problems. She can't stand up on her own or go to the bathroom on her own.

I know I want to take care of her because I expect my own progeny to take care of me too when I'm at that age.

Rival

Gold Member
I’m not going to pretend like my mom didn’t still help me out financially but the last time I lived at home was the summer after my first year of college. So 19.

BigBooper

That's surprising. Wonder where US is. The right age depends on too much to say one certain. If the kids are self motivated, they can survive on their own at 18, but it's not always a very good life. On the other hand, you don't want them to be so dependent that they don't build or save anything.

A good middle ground could be let them get a good job going for a year or two.

Aggelos

It's hard to say what the right age is, but it seems like it is expected from a kid to reach some sort of financial independence (and, if anything, even complete) between the age of 18-30.
Otherwise, the child falls into the "failure to launch" category.

But, in this day and age of ours Boomerang Generation, Twixter, Parasite Singles, Parasite Couples, Kidults, Sampo Generation and whatnot, are on the rise. It's a shitstorm out there.
It's very difficult for kids to find out where they 'fit' into society, so that means the age of moving out from their parents' house goes up. So it's hard to say what the right age is to move out of their parents' house, but as soon as they can fend for themselves and are able to carry their own weight, then it's probably a good idea to leave the parents' nest. When you can stand on your own feet, then why stay with your old folks?

Zeroing

Banned
You never kick out your children unless they're assholes, and you never put your elderly parents in a senior home but take them in and care for them as a family.

That's how it should be, ideally, and when I lived in Spain, I've seen that work very well. Households with three or four generations of a family living in them are not unusual at all.
Yes same with Portugal, grandparents help to take care of the grandkids… and so on. Of course not everyone wants to live like that. I moved out at 23. I had friends from Finland and Sweden where their parents kicked them out at 18, meaning me as a parents, I’ve done my job, get away…

There’s this stigma of living with your parents. When I came back from the UK to help my mother take care of my grandmother most of my non Portuguese friends didn’t understand it and even told me it was like resetting back to zero!

For me it was important to spend time my grandmother and help. it was hard but worth it.
And I didn’t lived on my parents place for free…

Winter John

Around 14/15. Although it was more kicked out than moved out. My mom's boyfriend hated my guts. One day I came home from school and there was a bag on the doorstep with some of my clothes in it and $20. I ended up staying at my friend's place for a while, then basically couch surfed or slept in the park or in one of the burnt out blocks if it was real cold. For a while I slept in an abandoned truck. That was alright. It warmed up pretty quick and it was close to a Burger King. I used to wait until they'd just closed then raid their garbage bins. If I was quick I'd sometimes find burgers or fries that were still warm. I'll never forget years later I was watching The Sopranos. Paulie and Christopher were stuck in a van, freezing their asses off eating sauce packets. I jumped up all excited and said, I've done that.

Hugare

Its a cultural thing

Read essays saying that europeans usually move out of their parents houses really young (18-20), but this is not the case here in Brazil (for the most part)

I'm 29 and still living with my parents. 4 out of 5 of my closest friends still live with their parents. Also my girlfriend. All of them about my age.

Prices are crazy nowadays. I would spend 50% of my salary just trying to survive alone, with rent + bills + food + internet + transportation and etc.

And here in Brazil, parents usually enjoy having their "kids" living with them as much as they can. They are the ones telling me "stay here and save money for education/other stuff"

I want to have my own place, but right now being able to save 50% of my salary is very important

Maybe when I get a better job, eventually

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I can't imagine having a 30-year-old kid in my house. Holy shit. I'd say 18 to 20 at the latest.

UK here.

I originally moved out at 21 after I finished college to go live down south and chase work.

Life didn't go as planned and I ended up moving back in with my parents by 25 and needed to stay anouther 5 years and save up for a despoit on a house.

Sadly I don't think this circumstance is that unique in the UK with rising house prices you need the ability to save with limited outgoings to be able to put the money down, otherwise your stuck in the UK's rental market which is even worse and the cause of the high housing prices.

Ballthyrm

Being a country boy, I left for boarding school when I was 14. In France you get your driving licence at 18.
Closest high school from my home was 45 km away and no way in hell I would take the one-way 1 hour Bus ride every day.
I would go back for the holiday just to work at the farm all summer.(IE: not holidays)

Left at 18 and payed for my own studies with the money I made, being european, you can still do that here.
So yeah, lived the majority of my Life on my own already.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I moved out when I was 16 (if we are counting college) but it's pretty common here in India for people to come back after finishing their education outside, or never leave if the college is in the same city (or if you have a family business). Children simply take over the responsibilities of the household and then take care of the parents when they are old. Meanwhile parents take care of their grandkids when they are growing up. Its pretty common and works pretty well.

So I always found this mentality of west very weird. If you get a job in a different city or something or if there are genuine issues, fine. But otherwise what's the hurry on both sides (to leave and to be left alone)? A lot of times there are many benefits of living together. If today I got a job back in my hometown I may move back in my old house (I'm married). Nothing weird about it here.

Last edited:

Allforce

Ideally it should be done in steps I think, this is basically what everyone I know did and what my kid who's 21 is doing now:

Move to college at 18, live in dorms. Learn a bit of living on your own and doing shit for yourself but you got a safety net of a meal plans that still covers food and there's a roof over your head and no bills to pay. Get a PT job just for some cash to have some fun.

Then an apartment/house rental off campus with friends at age 20-22. Now you're dealing with how to manage bills, groceries, dealing with conflicts, working more while juggling school, etc.

Graduate at 22-23, and go from there, move somewhere else and start working full-time, at this point you should have had 3-4 years of managing life to understand what is needed to live on your own. Whether that's more money, better time management, roommates, etc.

I get that if life gets in the way and you have to take care of more important stuff at home (sick parents, financial emergency, medical issues) then so be it but to be like 30+ and just living at home for no reason other than "I haven't had a chance to move yet..." is some next level apathy.

It seems like some people here are living in a different financial reality. Young people are not staying with their parents longer because they want to, but because they have no other option. Hence this trend that is happening all over the western world.

Housing prices, rent, food, health insurance, public transportation... starting an independent life is extremely difficult for young people these days, not only because the costs of living have risen so much, but also because average wages have not kept up with inflation at all and because low interest rates make it very difficult to save up money.

Of course there is a difference if your kid is just lying in bed all day doing nothing, but if he or she is going to college, or has a job and is doing all they can to build up their life, then I believe you should absolutely support them however you can.

I stayed at home until I was 27, which is when I was able to put down a Є35.000,00 deposit on an appartment after saving up for a decade or more. If I did not have that opportunity, I would have been stuck flushing my savings and wage down the drain by renting, and my financial future would have been in ruins. Now I get to live a stable life with little financial stress. Had I been kicked out at 18, who knows how badly things could have ended up.

I was grateful that I had support in that matter, and I hope some of you do the same for your kids as well, if they show the effort...

H4ze

Left my family home at 25, pretty average for todays standards I guess. (Am 30 now)
But I paid some rent to my parents before I started to live on my own, to make up for my needs since I was already working.

I am turning 26 this week and still live with my parents. Probably the worst time to be a young adult in an urban setting (I live in North Dallas). Housing over the last few years has literally exploded. $200k home is now $400k+. It was feasible to see myself move out at around this time before I graduated, but now? My trajectory is around 30 to buy my own place if I stay single. If I get married, maybe a little earlier with the added income, but I am not counting on it. My mom is Chinese and my dad is really chill, so they don't mind me staying at all. Actually, they both said I should stay until I get married. I pay them $600 a month and pay for the internet (I am the only one that benefits from the fiber). Pretty much everyone I know lives with family. Only one guy has moved out and he is living with his GF and he makes about 100k a year jacking off into a computer at home. He spends like 2k a month on rent lol

Star-Lord

I moved out at 18 when I started university. Packed my shit up, left the country, and never looked back. I was offered a job whilst studying at uni, which turned into a career. I moved in with some workmates for a year, saved up, got my own place, and haven't really been back home since. I feel that if you're still living with your parents when you're thirty or older, you have what I call Norman Bates Syndrome.

Banjo64

cumsessed
UK - moved out at 24, bought first house this year at 29. Wish I’d moved out earlier, however that may have prevented me from buying. For some people living at home until 30 works, it depends on everyone’s individual circumstances and specifically whether they are respected as an adult in their family home.

Aesius

You guys need to realise a lot of these 30 year old "kids" probably would be away from their parents house if the housing market wasn't the mess it is currently. I know a lot of people that are still with their parents and not by choice.

It's depressing.
Housing costs definitely play a huge role. When I was in college, my college town was dirt cheap. I split a 1,500 sq ft house with two friends and we split the rent based on bedroom size. I took the smallest room and paid barely over $200/month in rent. When adding split costs of electricity, internet, cable, water, etc., I think I paid $275 total per month to live there. I worked 20 hours per week at $10/hr and still had plenty of beer money left over at the end of the month.

That same house now would probably rent for $2,000/month or more, while wages haven't gone up remotely at the same rate. And that's still a relatively inexpensive part of the country.

spawn

I was 25 when I moved out. I started looking at renting an apartment at 23 or 24, but it was damn near impossible. Every apartment had a wait list for months and we had a pit bull which trying to get an apartment with a dog in my city is a giant headache. Thankfully we bought a house with a down payment assistance program and it ended up being a lot cheaper than I thought it would be

j0hnnix

Some kids need to leave at 7, damn they can be annoying. I can't imagine dealing with a fedora wearing 30 year old man child sticking around.

JayK47

I left at 18. I still think it can be done today. It takes effort and low standards. I joined the army. I just read an article about how the Army is struggling to recruit. Kids today are happy to piss away 12 hours a day playing COD in their mom's basement but would never consider actually joining the army. When I got out of the army, I was pretty broke and hopped around a bit until settling into a trailer home. How many of your would live in a trailer home? It was cheaper than an apartment 20 years ago when an apartment could be had for less than $1000 a month. While living in the trailer house, I lived very cheap. Drove a shit beater car that was so rusty chunks of the car fell off every time I shut the door. Kids these days drive nicer cars than I currently drive. Entitlement is through the roof. Nothing is good enough for anybody and it is no surprise that nobody is willing to move out and move on. Yes, the housing market is shit right now. Wait for the crash and buy when the prices dip. Live in a cheaper neighborhood or a cheaper state. Remember Revenge of the Nerds? Get a bunch of friends together, buy a dumpy house, and fix it up. Thankfully there are plenty of youtube how to videos out there to help, since I am assuming most people know fuck all about plumbing or wiring.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I was living on my own at 15 and if I could, I would have moved out at 12. Sure I was piss poor but fuck I loathed living with family members. (currently at day 4 at parents' place and going crazy, back to my house tomorrow)

Neolombax

Over here, I dont think its something you expect from a child. Most would naturally move out on their own, either due to starting their own family or a job in a different state etc. My parents have never told me they expected me to leave the house. I left at probably around 26 due to work. Here in Malaysia, I've even seen 3 generations live under the same roof, even after getting married. Some even pool together money to buy a huge property with the idea of living together.

Top Bottom