• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The age of moving out of your parents house

Fools idol

Banned
very much depends on the cost of living where you live, in the UK at least.

London? forget about it unless you can afford £1.5-2k a month rent on your own. And that is a very shitty place.

Meh I’m 29 and still live with my parents. I give them $500 month for rent and sleep in my childhood bedroom. I made $170k last year and will probably pass 200k this year. My net worth is $300k. That’s the kind of money you can save by living at home for as long as possible. I’m gonna buy a house, I’m just waiting for the prices to come down.

TylerD

I never fully moved back in after leaving for college in 2002 when I was 18. I'll be 39 September 1st. My younger brother just turned 36 and still lives with mom and dad in a town of about 8000 population. He is completely ruined at this point. Failed out of school, worked a few dead end jobs and hasn't had a job in years now. Has never paid rent, asks for reimbursement when he buys groceries. He did have about 25K in savings (cash) when I got tired of telling him about investing years ago and I've given up trying to get him to make something out of himself and move out.

At this point, I'm hoping he just stays there so he can care for them as they get older. They are mid to late 60s now and retired.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Moved out when I went to university having just turned 18 and never fully returned. Was back at home for a couple of months briefly after graduating at 22 and as soon as I found a job I moved out. Then moved country at 25.

Don't know what the fuck people are doing still being at home in their 20's, let alone in their 30's. Fuck that, I'd rather be homeless.

I never fully moved back in after leaving for college in 2002 when I was 18. I'll be 39 September 1st. My younger brother just turned 36 and still lives with mom and dad in a town of about 8000 population. He is completely ruined at this point. Failed out of school, worked a few dead end jobs and hasn't had a job in years now. Has never paid rent, asks for reimbursement when he buys groceries. He did have about 25K in savings (cash) when I got tired of telling him about investing years ago and I've given up trying to get him to make something out of himself and move out.

At this point, I'm hoping he just stays there so he can care for them as they get older. They are mid to late 60s now and retired.

That pretty much sums up my younger sister. In a selfish kind of way I'm ok with her doing what she's doing, she can take care of my grandmother and mum without me needing to worry about them in that way. I'm not moving back to the UK, it's just not happening.

Last edited:
I'm 30 and I just now reached a point where I'm financially stable enough to afford my own place.

That and I've been trying to avoid roommates like the plague (also the reason I commuted to college instead of dorming).

cobaltorange

Neo Member
30? Get the fuck outta here!

Does college count as "moving out" if you go back home on the summer?

Otherwise the instant you graduate high school your #1 plan should be getting your own place with however many roommates it takes to make that happen.
What's the rush? I don't understand why you need to move out asap?

GymWolf

I live in the house of my ex-neighboor so i have both my freedom and the commodity of having my parents close to me.

For the age, i think around 26-27 maybe? But i started working at 11 so i never felt like these dudes who need financial support from their parents and that's why they live with them.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I left home at around 23 (I am 31 now for reference) because before that my mom was a single mom for most of my life and she had my youngest sister. I knew at 18 that if I stayed and went to college in the area instead of leaving that I would not only be able to save my own money due to not having to pay a monthly rent or mortgage but that I would be on hand to help my mom when she needed it whether it be keeping an eye on my sister or if something came up and she didn't have the cash on hand. On top of that she had asked me to stay. I couldn't find it in me to say no at the time. I was glad I went along with it too. I was able to save thousands of dollars through the years which not only gave me a leg up in terms of future investments and allowed me to cover emergencies that my mother experienced along the way. Which eventually years down the line during 2020 allowed me enough of a financial cushion so that I was able to cover her during the peak of Covid when everything was in flux and she was laid off without it really even being a problem for me as a whole. It was a loss, but one that I could easily take without needing repayment. All because I didn't immediately leave when I hit 18.

It was never perfect, but I am in a supremely better position now than I would have been if I had left immediately at 18 like some people expect. I will remember that if I end up having kids of my own. I would rather them stay for a few years and save their money and apply themselves according to their life goals than to dropkick them into the deep end and hope they are able to swim.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I knew Sweden would be on the low end, we can't fucking wait to get the hell out lol. I went away for music community college when I was 20, but I still went back home for breaks etc. I then fully moved out (and to a different city) at 22. But I know many who moved out earlier than that (like at 18).

Last edited:

thief183

I did some good job decisions at 19 yo and managed to buy my home, Bought it close to my parents cause they will need me when they get older. If I could go back in time I'd spend my Money in drugs and alcol.

AJUMP23

I knew Sweden would be on the low end, we can't fucking wait to get the hell out lol. I went away for music community college when I was 20, but I still went back home for breaks etc. I then fully moved out (and to a different city) at 22. But I know many who moved out earlier than that (like at 18).
What is music community college?

AJUMP23

Because you are an ADULT?

Why WOULDN'T you want to move out, barring severe financial/medical issues?

Put down the game controller and get to work already!
That is what you want to tell them, but you are not responding to some one that is acting like or has the reasoning of an adult. An independent individual.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What is music community college?

Maybe that's not the correct term, but I think it is the closest to describe it. It's something music students here in Sweden commonly go to after high school or whatever (the school system isn't the same here, but after grade 12 basically) for one or two years to prepare for applying to proper music college/university (and to have a lot of fun).

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
Moved out at 22. Could have done so a bit sooner, but the school I was going to at the time was very close to my parent's.

Had a huge breakup several years later and moved back in with my parents (was living with my gf at the time) for a few months.

AJUMP23

Soun
Maybe that's not the correct term, but I think it is the closest to describe it. It's something music students here in Sweden commonly go to after high school or whatever (the school system isn't the same here, but after grade 12 basically) for one or two years to prepare for applying to proper music college/university (and to have a lot of fun).
Sounds like a good time. What do you play.

Mondai

Gold Member
I moved out at 24 when I left for the military , lived alone then got married and lived with my wife since , I could never live with my parents again. I’m just waiting to raise my credit score a bit so I can use the VA loan.

Top Bottom