• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amiga 500 mini announced

Bullet Club

I want to get this but I keep backing out because of not many interesting games. The last video I checked someone adding 25 more and most of them were point and click and tbh I don't have much interest in them.

Are there many good platformers or action games for this that I can add, to justify the purchase?
Watch this video. No fast forwarding!

This one is a little shorter.

Reactions: TLZ
Can someone help me out with a childhood game which the title I can't remember??

The only thing I remember is that the game scrolls left and right and that you control a guy and that there are coming flying monsters.

I know the description is really bad but maybe someone can help me out with this? Yeah It's obviously a sidescroling shooting game.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Mine is supposedly coming on the 8th April now a whole day earlier according to Amazon.
yeah i got the same email saying it was gonna ship earlier than they esitmated i was thinking great i'm gonna get it super soon then i say it was just one day and i was like oh, ok then lol.

Still looking forward to this. Never could afford an amiga as a kid i had to live the life by playing the few machines my friends owned and the games they bought and then later on by emulation exclusively via my pc. There's so many original games for this thing. People seem to concentrate on arcade conversions & stuff that was also on consoles, but the amiga and also the other 8 & 16bit computers all shined the best on the original stuff that was made for them. It's what makes it appealing to get, i don't need arcade perfect ports i have mame and modern consoles for that, what i want to enjoy is all those games that were released & forgotten ones that were never ported to other machines these are the games from my childhood.

It's a weird time in gaming when the 8 & 16bit computers were super big in europe and the usa was the tiny region in comparison that got a fraction of what europe saw. And that's before you add in all the demoscene stuff or computers that were never released there. On the upside to this usa peeps now have whole libraries of stuff they may have never gotten to try or knew existed because it was kept to euro regions.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Can someone help me out with a childhood game which the title I can't remember??

The only thing I remember is that the game scrolls left and right and that you control a guy and that there are coming flying monsters.

I know the description is really bad but maybe someone can help me out with this? Yeah It's obviously a sidescroling shooting game.
Shadow of the Beast?

Theres a lot of amiga side scrollers with flying monsters :p

TLZ

Banned
99.9% of them will be yes.
lFeXcgL.png

The Rock Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I didn't know.

I know Green Beret is coming if not already...

8BiTw0LF

Banned
What I really like about the mini is that you can change controls on the fly and save them per game. It'll be a blessing when using a joypad instead of joystick. Just mount jump (joystick up) to a button. Let's be real "joystick up" for jumping is only good for fighting games.

Jimmy_liv

The best games machine to ever exist and the gaming times I most fondly remember.

I'd never buy a mini thou... Or even play a full size one nowadays.

Fantastic times back then thou.

Last edited:

Altered Beast?

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Harlequin
Rainbow Islands
Leander
Wolfchild
Addams Family
Fire and Ice
Gods
Rodland.

Premiere from Core Design is a really good platformer and Amiga exclusive. So many other platformers saw SNES and Mega drive attempts like Bubba N Stix. Such a long list of fun to be honest.
Even games like Blues Brothers, Hudson Hawk, Magic Pockets. Just for the most part stay from NES Konami ports like Contra, Super C, Castle Vania etc.

Havoc2049

yeah i got the same email saying it was gonna ship earlier than they esitmated i was thinking great i'm gonna get it super soon then i say it was just one day and i was like oh, ok then lol.

Still looking forward to this. Never could afford an amiga as a kid i had to live the life by playing the few machines my friends owned and the games they bought and then later on by emulation exclusively via my pc. There's so many original games for this thing. People seem to concentrate on arcade conversions & stuff that was also on consoles, but the amiga and also the other 8 & 16bit computers all shined the best on the original stuff that was made for them. It's what makes it appealing to get, i don't need arcade perfect ports i have mame and modern consoles for that, what i want to enjoy is all those games that were released & forgotten ones that were never ported to other machines these are the games from my childhood.

It's a weird time in gaming when the 8 & 16bit computers were super big in europe and the usa was the tiny region in comparison that got a fraction of what europe saw. And that's before you add in all the demoscene stuff or computers that were never released there. On the upside to this usa peeps now have whole libraries of stuff they may have never gotten to try or knew existed because it was kept to euro regions.
I'm an Atari 8 & 16-bit computer user from the United States.

The C64/128, Apple II line and Atari 8-bit line of computers sold extremely well in the United States. The Amiga and ST had a decent following in the United States and Canada as well, along with the Mac and PC. Tons of games and productivity software was developed and published by American companies for Commodore, Apple and Atari computers. There were tons of magazines that specifically covered Commodore, Apple and Atari computer lines, both 8-bit and 16-bit computers. National chains carried computer hardware, games and software for those platforms.

The difference between North America and Europe is that the timeline of the popularity for example of the Amiga and ST was from like 1985 to 1991 in North America, while it started later, but lasted longer in Europe. Americans were also into different genres, with RPGs, simulations, war games and adventure games (text, gfx/text and point and click). For sports; baseball, basketball and football games were popular. For example, Earl Weaver Baseball by Electronic Arts was one of the killer app games for the Amiga in the United States.

Almost all the heavy hitters and popular games in the UK were also released in the United States, with Amiga and ST dealers being really good at importing games into the 90's from the UK.

Ozzie666

I'm an Atari 8 & 16-bit computer user from the United States.

The C64/128, Apple II line and Atari 8-bit line of computers sold extremely well in the United States. The Amiga and ST had a decent following in the United States and Canada as well, along with the Mac and PC. Tons of games and productivity software was developed and published by American companies for Commodore, Apple and Atari computers. There were tons of magazines that specifically covered Commodore, Apple and Atari computer lines, both 8-bit and 16-bit computers. National chains carried computer hardware, games and software for those platforms.

The difference between North America and Europe is that the timeline of the popularity for example of the Amiga and ST was from like 1985 to 1991 in North America, while it started later, but lasted longer in Europe. Americans were also into different genres, with RPGs, simulations, war games and adventure games (text, gfx/text and point and click). For sports; baseball, basketball and football games were popular. For example, Earl Weaver Baseball by Electronic Arts was one of the killer app games for the Amiga in the United States.

Almost all the heavy hitters and popular games in the UK were also released in the United States, with Amiga and ST dealers being really good at importing games into the 90's from the UK.

American companies really started to abandon the Atari ST by 1990. The Amiga was able to maintain an American software presence into late 1992. Companies like Cinemaware, Sierra, Interplay, Lucasfilm, SSI, Mindscape, EA, Origin and Readysoft, either stopped developing or switched to releasing their titles in Europe through partnerships, before finally stopping. I'm probably forgetting a few of the big American companies.

From my recollection 1990 really was the year of change, with the 386 finally becoming something to consider for gamers and the NES was still cleaning up - and king. The C64 was still on shelves in 1990 with new releases, in fact in late 1991 and early 1992 games like Wrath of the Demon, Turtle Arcade Coin Op and Simpsons Arcade were released, which was pretty crazy to be honest.

For some strange reason the Atari ST was a very big success in Canada, particularly in Quebec. I recall a Trip Hawkins article lamenting how the 8 bit software was still safer and more profitable than the 16 bit home computers. It was a really strange time in between the successful 8 bit machines, which wouldn't die and the new breed of 16 bit consoles/PC.

The NES really killed the C64 in America, which was already eating into the Atari and Apple. But amazingly the Apple II line continued with releases into 89/90, out preforming the GS. The video game crash in American, barely sent a ripple to Europe. But in North America the video game crash probably helped the home computer market for a brief time. The Atari 8 bit line is extremely under rated, having sort of lost out by 86/87, even the ancient Apple continued to out perform it.

Good times. Amiga was simply amazing. Actually looking back, the impact the NES had on America is just crazy and it's ripple effects change the fortunes of so many companies.

RAIDEN1

Amiga 500 was by far the most powerful PC in that era and it kept it's dominance until mid 90's here in Europe. - so much the community till this day are pushing the limits for what a '87 PC should be able to do..

Well I wouldn't be so sure about that if you take into account Japan's answer to the Amiga, the Sharp X86000 had that released in the west it would have wiped the floor with the Amiga on the games-front, a machine released in 1987 some of the arcade ports on there are enough to make you think, if only the Amiga had that!

Garibaldi

Me too. I'm giddy as fuck! I wanted a 1200 back when I was a kid but could never afford it. Then they went bust and the dream was gone. Stuck with my C64. I cannot wait!

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Well I wouldn't be so sure about that if you take into account Japan's answer to the Amiga, the Sharp X86000 had that released in the west it would have wiped the floor with the Amiga on the games-front, a machine released in 1987 some of the arcade ports on there are enough to make you think, if only the Amiga had that!
X68000. You're right it had more power, but the Amiga had the community to go beyond the "limitations".

SirTerry-T

Majority of games Graftgold made were brilliant. Paradroid 90, Uridium 2, Virocop hell even the Rainbow Islands conversions.

Andrew Braybrook one of those old skool bedroom coders.
Dominic Robinson too, what he could make the Spectrum do was bordering on genius.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

X68000. You're right it had more power, but the Amiga had the community to go beyond the "limitations".
If only there was such a community for the CD32 .....Commordore's answer to the Sega CD, by which time Sega were already focusing on the "botched" Saturn..

8BiTw0LF

Banned
If only there was such a community for the CD32 .....Commordore's answer to the Sega CD, by which time Sega were already focusing on the "botched" Saturn..
Just sold my CD32 last year. Were considering upgrading it with a Terrible Fire 330, but emulation has come so far these days and I'd rather have something "lightweight" and user friendly. Sad story about the CD32 tho' - how the patents screwed it up for export to the US and thousands of consoles just piling up in the Philippines. Would be awesome to see Commodore as a contender today.

• Fire
Reactions: TLZ

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It was a game with different Type of enemies and also flying monsters. You can run to the left and right. Don't know which kind of weapons you use.

If this game would be well known I would already know the name Nitty_Grimes Nitty_Grimes

No It's not Turrican.
Shot in the dark mate. Wasn't trying to come across like I was taking the piss.

Thebonehead

Banned

Strider?

Top Bottom