• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Anticipation Express - Most Personal Gaming Hype Trains

Welcome to the Anticipation Express. A place where excitement and expectations are through the proverbial roof, promotion and marketing in the millions and where rumours and hearsay are considered par for the course. I'm talking about hype trains, most specifically the ones that were most memorable and entertaining for you to board until the final stop at the checkout. Gaming promotion has changed over the past two decades, there was a time when being part of the collective culture and discourse was something special, and often times it was more enjoyable than playing the final product. Announcement presentations at E3, PAX and Gamescom were flames that lit the torches of anticipation, and it spread like wildfire to gaming discussion boards such as these, Youtube chat boxes, wish lists and regular word of mouth. Endless coverage in the form of screenshots, developer interviews and analysis from outlets like Game Informer, IGN and Gamespot, even CD-ROM demos for those old enough to recall (and there plenty that are).

It was an institution without a formal body, a collective with conscious and although times have changed, I do believe the essence lives on in NeoGAF and similar platforms. So let's discuss those hype trains that resonated with you on a personal level, the ones discussed the most with friends over cans of Kool-Aid, waiting outside GameStop at 2 in the morning and CG trailers with dented replay buttons. Note that the final product doesn't even have to be positively received. You can submit Duke Nukem: Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines as viable answers and as long as you were excited they are welcome.

Conditions of Carriage:
  • A maximum of three entries with each one representing a class (economy, business and first).
  • You must have been there to anticipate the item, retrospective submissions aren't welcome.
  • Despite leaning towards video game releases, consoles and other related products are allowed.
  • Non-released titles are viable too, as long as the hype train is strong then that's all that matters.
Economy Class - Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2

Vampire_The_Masquerade_Bloodlines_2_Cover_Art.png
Vampire-the-Masquerade-Bloodlines-2-GC-Preview-03-Lets-Talk.jpg

This thing was announced in 2019 and still there's no news on an actual release date. Development has been a mess due to a new studio starting afresh, but I'm placing it in economy due to the strong source material and my love for the first game.

Business Class - GTA IV (PC Version)

Grand_Theft_Auto_IV_cover.jpg

As a long time Grand Theft Auto fan I was beyond livid the console peasants got the game months before we did. I remember the marketing campaigns with billboards and posters galore, even the developer with that shitty tattoo on his arm. When the PC version finally released it ran like dogshit and that's not even taking into consideration that I had an old PC that didn't meet the minimum system requirements, so the whole thing looked like a damn slideshow. I didn't care however, I was playing GTA IV, despite the 10cm draw distance.

First Class - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The_Elder_Scrolls_IV_Oblivion_cover.png

I wasn't too familiar with The Elder Scrolls franchise in the early 2000s, though I vaguely remember having some exposure to the Morrowind marketing. But Oblivion changed everything on the RPG landscape when that first trailer dropped at E3 2005 with Patrick Stewart's booming narration. Young gamers were introduced to a franchise they would sink hundreds of hours into and veterans were creaming in their pants because Oblivion looked absolutely spectacular for the time. Bethesda spent a good deal on promotion and gave tonnes of access to gaming journalists to fan the flames, and don't forget Todd Howard with his lofty promises which mostly came to fruition (Check out the making of documentary for more information). Oblivion is one of those rare things in my life that I will never finish or get closure on, because I will always be back no matter how much time has passed. Forever riding through the forests of Cyrodiil, forever happy, forever free.

Final STOP!!!

Journey duration: 1 hour 20 minutes
Ticket cost: One month's NeoGAF Gold a piece.

3iys6.jpg

Choo Choo motherf***ers!

T0minator

My most anticipated game that I could remember was MGS2 since the day they announced it.
.I was searching for all kinds of updates as a kid. Google searches, dissecting interviews. Slowing down trailers by frames. I was hyped!! I enjoyed MGS1 on PS1 it was my first game I ever completed myself. My brother and I went through RE Tomb Raider and bunch of others. But him and I played MGS1 separately avoiding spoilers. MGS2 was anticipation at the highest level

Jak and Daxter and Ratchet n Clank 1 were both highly anticipated as a kid too coming off of crash and those platformers. They were kinda big back then. But I would draw the characters and create my own animations seeing if I can replicate the trailers. I was hyped!!

The latest anticipation is Wolverine I'm kinda at that point I'm on YouTube searching for leaks or possible story hints watching the trailer in slow mo. It brought back that anticipation I had as a kid. I'm a huge Wolverine fan and that reveal got me so hyped because I know Insomniac is gonna knock it out if the park! 🤌🏼

anthraticus

Banned
One good thing about Oblivion (besides the Dark Brotherhood quests & music) was that I discovered the Codex and their iconic review because of it. Felt good to hear my thoughts being echoed, while everybody else was thinking it was like the best thing ever. Probably the biggest disappointment in gaming for me EVER. Especially after the promise Daggerfall & Morrowind had shown and all the hype they had built up for it. Really taught me a lesson on not buying the bs hype anymore.

A big turning point in the RPG landscape and the one most looked at by longtime cRPG fans to be the true 'symbol of decline', leading to the more shallow and dumbed down experiences we know all too well from all the modern AAA/mainstream 'RPGs'.

Ans a big LOL to Bloodlines 2.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Sorry OP. But ain't reading all that.

I'm hyped for the Alone in the Dark reboot. That shit looks infinitely more interesting than the SH2 remake.

I'm keeping my expectations in check but Ive always had a soft spot for AITD even if the games are mediocre at best.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't remember ever getting that hyped up about a game prior to its release. I mean, I had some games that I waited for and was excited to play them when they finally came out but I never, like, followed any promotional campaigns or psyched myself up and shit. My hype usually began when I actually started playing and I liked it.

What stands out in my mind are the games that I bought on release back when digital distribution wasn't so commonplace and I bought most of my PC games physically. Those were also the days when physical releases were actually worth buying and it wasn't just a piece of plastic with nothing but a disc inside. I loved cracking open those boxes filled with goodies like soundtrack, artbooks, user manuals, bonus discs, etc. I have fond memories looking through those extra items while the game installed on my computer and then enjoying the hell out of the games.

Ones that I remember in particular are:
  • Fallout 3, for which I bought a collector's edition with like this Fallout Boy bobblehead figure, a beautiful artbook featuring drawings of the late great Adam Adamowicz, and a DVD with the Making of... documentary that I vividly remember watching after I cracked open the box. Oh and all of that came in this cool metal lunchbox.
  • Dawn of War II which had a really kickass physical release and this beefy manual that was way too detailed for what that game actually was, lol.
  • Red Alert 3 that came with a poster with all the hot chicks from the game on it and I put it on the wall over my monitor, where it stayed until I moved out of my mom's house.
And a couple of others. Overall, that was the extent of my hype surrounding game releases back in the day.

Last edited:
Sorry OP. But ain't reading all that.

I'm hyped for the Alone in the Dark reboot. That shit looks infinitely more interesting than the SH2 remake.

I'm keeping my expectations in check but Ive always had a soft spot for AITD even if the games are mediocre at best.
How did you manage to find this thread? After the disappointing lack of traction I assumed it dead and buried, though I had an enjoyable time making it. What's funny is that the people who liked the opening post didn't bother posting at all lol.
  • Fallout 3, for which I bought a collector's edition with like this Fallout Boy bobblehead figure, a beautiful artbook featuring drawings of the late great Adam Adamowicz, and a DVD with the Making of... documentary that I vividly remember watching after I cracked open the box. Oh and all of that came in this cool metal lunchbox.
  • Dawn of War II which had a really kickass physical release and this beefy manual that was way too detailed for what that game actually was, lol.
  • Red Alert 3 that came with a poster with all the hot chicks from the game on it and I put it on the wall over my monitor, where it stayed until I moved out of my mom's house.
And a couple of others. Overall, that was the extent of my hype surrounding game releases back in the day.
I remember those Fallout 3 collector's edition lunchboxes, they were all over the place and weren't really a limited piece. Red Alert 3 had a prime Gina Carano as I remember, always good news.

Top Bottom