• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent Review Thread

Fredrik

Seems like some reviews are dropping in late.

Gamereactor, network average at 8/10, and Finland, the home country of twinstick shooter master Housemarque, gave it a 9/10. ✌️

ibEu1Oc.png

Leyasu

Banned
8 pages on a review thread for an indie twin stick shooter.

Can someone please explain how that happened?

I have this sitting on my hard drive thanks to gamepass. I’ll give it a try eventually

The more I play this the more I love this. As a single, I die a lot though. But loads times are pretty snappy so it’s not that big a deal. As long as I eventually learn from my deaths :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I die a lot too playing solo. The biggest issue I have is that I can be fighting level 8 or 9 guys then be suddenly fighting 18+ level guys without warning. The ED-209 looking boss is only 7 but EASILY destroys me in seconds but I can take down level 20 guys if I am careful. The game is all over the place. Beautiful world, fantastic gameplay, but buggy and uneven as hell. I still appreciate it for what it is.

Well, it's one of the best looking games I've ever seen. It's like watching a moving Akira comic with how insane the depth of detail is; like the pinnacle of pre-rendered backgrounds, only it's not pre-rendered.

Ztd1RuT.jpeg

images

7E3dmVm1_0109201719131gpadd.jpg

It's one of the first major Gamepass next-gen exclusives. It also has some of the most insanely ridiculous reviews I've ever seen, with one outlet rating it a 3/10. It's almost on par with the original NieR getting a 0/10 from Joystiq, and then 10 years later the game is finally acknowledged to be a cult classic and a masterpiece. The game is incredibly divisive.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I have this sitting on my hard drive thanks to gamepass. I’ll give it a try eventually
Try it and you’ll know 😉

It’s simply great. And isn’t not just oldschool gameplay with nice visuals, they’re doing a unique mix of shooter and RPG that we haven’t really seen before. I’ve been gaming since the early 80s and I still have trouble finding games to compare it with. I see crumbles of several games but nothing close enough that I could say ”- It’s like [game X].” For me it’s unique and I really appreciate that.

Because the XSX/XSS have a great exclusive title and a certain console owning subset of fans can’t live with that fact? 🤷🏼‍♂️

The game is great fun so far. Have a few gripes, but for a dirty dozen indie development team, it’s excellent.

Kenpachii

Played it a little bit and frankly the game looks amazing with RT on, probably best showcase for RT i saw. Beats cyberpunk for sure.

Sadly it nukes CPU performance.

Honestly the this video showcases the quality difference, and its big. the city looks flat as hell without RT.

Last edited:

Nico_D

I think this may be one of the most underrated recently released game.

Sure, it crashes sometimes. But in addition to good gameplay the sheer amount of incredible details in the scenery is bonkers. They wouldn't have needed those extra miles (or twenty)but they did and it really brings the world alive. Sometimes I just stay put and watch it all, the pumps, vendors, police cars.

Darsxx82

I think this may be one of the most underrated recently released game.

Sure, it crashes sometimes. But in addition to good gameplay the sheer amount of incredible details in the scenery is bonkers. They wouldn't have needed those extra miles (or twenty)but they did and it really brings the world alive. Sometimes I just stay put and watch it all, the pumps, vendors, police cars.
totally agree. The most underrated game of the year and, in my opinion, an injustice to the fantastic and incredible work done by the studio that, I remember, is only 12 people. Graphic and visual level is the best there is out there and the biggest proof is that even with the first-person mod the game still looks incredible. On an artistic level it is SUPREME and the same can be said as far as sound is concerned.

Top Bottom