• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ascent Review Thread

nemiroff

Gold Member
I haven't played the game more than two hours yet, but the more I play the less sense the 3/10 score makes to me.

Why do so many feel the need to point out the size of the team who made this? Is it supposed to get a sympathy point bump in reviews cause its a small team?

No. You're missing the point. I don't think anyone is giving the game higher scores because its team size. It's just information added in context because the game in many ways looks better than some "AAA" games on the market. Uncomplicated as that.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It doesn't take a PhD to determine the game is average at this point with 20 reviews in........

Yes, as we all know gaming "journalists" know what they are talking about. /s

Knock it off with the console warring retardation, kiddo.

Neil Young

Played for 5 hours.

Perfectly fine and enjoyable game. The graphics are incredible.... the amount of detail in the setting is awesome. The controls are smooth and responsive. Once you find a decent gun and assign an augment, you can wreck some shit and the combat is very enjoyable. Sounds, like explosions in the background, barrels blowing up, is very well done.

Couple things that I don't like: The loot is a bit samey. Enemies drop the same gun and pants over and over. Some of the tools and interface is clunky...the grenade is almost useless for me as I have no real idea where it's going. Same for the special power. It wouldn't be a big deal if you could spam them, but whiffing when they are on a cool down stinks. Also, the hacking is something I just forget exists until I reach an ICE chest, then I remember that's a thing.

So yeah, game is fun and I'd be ok if I paid for it. Metro's 3 is beyond ridiculous. That's like Armond White agenda bullshit. That score should be reserved for absolutely broken, low effort garbage. I would say this game is a fat 7.5 so far.

Pallas

Not really big on twin stick shooters but those graphics are really crisp and amazing. I may end up checking this out at a later time after I’m done with my current game.

It's 75 for PC, 64 for Xbox. And, yes, an 80 is an average metacritic score in gaming and has been for many years.
You’re wrong, even Metacritic says you’re wrong.

The game is average, which is completely fine. Some will hate it, some will love it. It has some flaws, but it seems in general to have mixed reactions.

I don’t understand this notion that a game has to score at least an 80 to be average. It’s really disingenuous.

Eliciel

Gamebreaking bug for the 3x in a row after several hours into the game, an elevator is now longer functioning for reaching an Vortex Agent. Tried everythign several times, doesn't work. That's it for me.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
ACG's review was totally on point this game is so much FUN!

Now that I've got a clue on how to play twinstick shooters, have better armor and upgraded my guns I'm having a blast and really liking the combat even though I still pretty much suck at it.

The world is so rich, so alive and the graphics are simply amazing. I'm having so much fun just exploring this dense beautiful world that I keep ignoring quests and just wonder around checking everything out.

For me the game is an 8+ and I think it's criminal it's sitting at 65 on metacritic.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Oops, yellow Metacritic box streak continues for Xbox exclusives. 😬
I didn't go of the colour off Metacritic and some reviews of Days Gone and I'm quite enjoying that and Ascent. I have played a few Green and high scoring games that I didn't enjoy as much as Ascent and Days Gone. Everyone is different.

I give this a solid 7.5

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Why don't you try the game by yourself before calling it average?!
Nah let it be. What I've found more often these days is that the "amazing" games are average or mediocre and the "average" games are damn amazing.

There was very little hype around this game and it came out of nowhere and I'm happy for it. There is a lot to love about this game between it's setting, gameplay, visuals and how great everything sounds and feels.

Most of all the game has soul IMO and is very fun. If someone makes a game where I want to stay up until 2 in the morning playing it I think we have a winner.

If anyone has played old games like Smash TV or even some arcade shoot em ups like Shock Troopers that reward constant run and gun gameplay then this is a great entry for that kind of gameplay.

And for a game like this they are only asking for $30. For what this game is that's a nice bargain. Better if you use gamepass because then it's technically much cheaper.

This person you are responding to probably isn't even going to play the game anyway and is just drive by shit posting.

This game isn't perfect but it does a whole lot right that many devs these days just do a whole lot wrong.

graywolf323

Gold Member

haven't seen Matty's review posted (unless I overlooked it?)

I'm kinda on the fence from all the reviews I've seen since it feels like it's clearly better if you play with others versus solo

Last edited:
You’re wrong, even Metacritic says you’re wrong.
Just like a middle school will say a C is an average grade. It's not. Its below average. But this makes below average kids, feel better about themselves.

I see basically all game reviews. A 70 is not a good game. I don’t care what they list it as. Look at the actual games that get those scores. They might not be terrible, but they are usually pretty far from good.

JLB

Banned
Played it a bit yesterday.
Gameplay is ok, a bit basic imo and aiming is definitely not ideal on pad. Maybe with mkb is better.
On the other hand, Graphics are impressive. Much better than I expected. Played it on Series X.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Oops, yellow Metacritic box streak continues for Xbox exclusives. 😬
EmoQv7JU0AEEQo0.jpg

sainraja

Played for 5 hours.

Perfectly fine and enjoyable game. The graphics are incredible.... the amount of detail in the setting is awesome. The controls are smooth and responsive. Once you find a decent gun and assign an augment, you can wreck some shit and the combat is very enjoyable. Sounds, like explosions in the background, barrels blowing up, is very well done.

Couple things that I don't like: The loot is a bit samey. Enemies drop the same gun and pants over and over. Some of the tools and interface is clunky...the grenade is almost useless for me as I have no real idea where it's going. Same for the special power. It wouldn't be a big deal if you could spam them, but whiffing when they are on a cool down stinks. Also, the hacking is something I just forget exists until I reach an ICE chest, then I remember that's a thing.

So yeah, game is fun and I'd be ok if I paid for it. Metro's 3 is beyond ridiculous. That's like Armond White agenda bullshit. That score should be reserved for absolutely broken, low effort garbage. I would say this game is a fat 7.5 so far.
Scoring a game doesn't make a lot of sense to me but to say a game should get a 3 if it's broken seems a bit weird. All games should be playable (meaning not broken) in order to even a get score. If a game is broken, it should simply have a warning telling people to avoid it.

Last edited:

Calverz

The amount of people that make a game don’t define its quality nor should it be considered when reviewing a game.

“Solid game considering” means that if you don’t consider the fact it was made by 12 people, it’s not a solid game and therefore…. It’s actually not a solid game?

Kind of stupid ass reasoning is that anyway?
It’s my opinion which I’m entitled to. Do you have any intention of playing the game? What’s your gamertag and we can team up mate

Topher

Gold Member
Just like a middle school will say a C is an average grade. It's not. Its below average. But this makes below average kids, feel better about themselves.

I see basically all game reviews. A 70 is not a good game. I don’t care what they list it as. Look at the actual games that get those scores. They might not be terrible, but they are usually pretty far from good.

But that isn't how the reviewers are scoring the game. Take IGN as an example. They gave The Ascent a 7. That means they are saying the game is "good" by their own definition. Not your definition. Theirs.

7 - Good​

https://corp.ign.com/review-practices

I've played plenty of games that had metacritic of 7 that were very good.

BigLee74

There isn’t a twin stick shooter that doesn’t play better in coop mode. If you’re finding it a bit of slog on solo, find someone to play with.

Personally, I think it’s ok. Definition of 7/10 for me, so the metacritic isn’t far off. Absolutely fed up pressing the damn navigation button, and it’s souring the experience.

Also, have no interest in the story or dialog - just skipping through everything. That can’t be a good sign?

After reading all the positive comments here, I'm about to give this game a try. Any starting tips on which skills, weapons, class to start with you gents?

lefty1117

Gold Member
It's a $30 game ... i think some reviewers are losing perspective. Good solid game so far. At $30 it's not going to offer the storyline, depth, side activities, etc of a Diablo. Worth the money though.

Perrott

Gold Member
I'm just about to try it out (10 more minutes until the download ends). Excited after reading some of the impressions here 👀

It's a $30 game ... i think some reviewers are losing perspective. Good solid game so far. At $30 it's not going to offer the storyline, depth, side activities, etc of a Diablo. Worth the money though.
And Death's Door is $20 and a MUCH better game. I'm playing that on Series X right now. Price has nothing to do with a game's quality.

Last edited:
After reading all the positive comments here, I'm about to give this game a try. Any starting tips on which skills, weapons, class to start with you gents?
Skills: aiming, weapon handling, vital signs and body battery for me.

Sounds obvious but the aiming feeling off at the start is partially a stat that you can improve. I also kept aim assist on. Game is completely nuts if you like any previous shooters like this. The visual detail is like playing a moving comic of Akira.

CAB_Life

Setting is great, artistic vision is on point, controls are horrid. No idea why there's no melee option too--no difficulty setting either. Will revisit this in a few patches.

Setting is great, artistic vision is on point, controls are horrid. No idea why there's no melee option too--no difficulty setting either. Will revisit this in a few patches.
Put points into aim. Also your first augment is a melee attack.

The controls don't feel completely great, but after you get used to it - I'm having absolutely no issues. Also keep aim assist on.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I finally got to put a bit more time in. Graphics are great but gameplay is a mixed bag for me. I found myself running down some areas that led to nowhere. Loot seems a bit underwhelming at least in the beginning. Controls seem better to me with a controller (I tried on PC and XBSX) to me but still not that great. I wanted it to play more like the old Loaded game on Playstation so maybe my expectations were off. I will play some more but I am glad I did not spend $30 on it. ...at least so far.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
16h on the clock, this game simply doesn't stop to amaze me. I don't know what to use anymore,there are so many weapons, augmentations, skills, everything is so damn good and effective, and most importantly - fun. I just unlocked a pocket mech, which you can deploy on the battlefield and jump into it, fucking awesome.

And I still can't get used to the visials, they're simply unreal.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I played a little more, and I have to say the designers really should have reduced the size of the city and most maps. Too many long, long walks past samey-looking environments and a handful of alien models. They could have cut out a good 50% of the city and mission areas and it would have made the scenery seem more fresh, and the game less of a slog. The ability to run at about 3x walking speed would help too - not sure if that's some kind of ability one can acquire down the line.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Yes, as we all know gaming "journalists" know what they are talking about. /s

Knock it off with the console warring retardation, kiddo.

Errr, what? Who you calling kiddo? What console waring? Did you not get any sleep or something, maybe go re-read what I stated. You can't blame me if people come running into this thread with no intention of ever playing the game and slamming it, that's on them.

Put in a few hours into the game thus far. I've been playing co-op, so I have zero idea what the story is about since there's a lot of back and forth shit talking while playing. Will refrain from the story elements (will have to have a crack at solo). Some really early impressions from me:-
  • Game is bloody gorgeous! I'm playing this on a Series X, so I miss out on ray-tracing but even still it's beautiful to look at. The hub environment is densely packed, with a variety of character models. Lighting looks amazing.
  • With that said, there's some unpolished aspects to it graphically. I've had areas load in where I'm just floating on a blank space or in the air before the area has loaded in. Have had character models load in and texture up while playing (reminds me of Halo 2 way back on the Xbox).
  • Gunplay feels good. I'm shit with shooters like this so I reckon I miss 99% of my shots. Have only just started building out my character so far, seeing a lot of opportunity for different builds if it plays out.
  • Loot seems a bit trash so far - not Cyberpunk 2077 trash but pretty close. I also can't tell what I've picked up when roaming the world, as there's no indication if it's an armour or weapon piece. Hopefully they fix that up.
  • Enemy variety so far has been good. Different enemy types, different attack types.
  • Holy hell is the menu terrible. The map especially. You can't use the left joystick at all to pan the camera, instead that will take you to another menu item. The map is also largely useless. Frustrating when you want to track down a vendor
  • Oh and finally good god - who decided to put tutorial pop-ups on screen in the middle of combat, which don't PAUSE the combat?
So far though I'm digging it. I need to have a crack at it in single player without all the co-op banter, dig into the systems a little more and get a clearer picture of what is happening in the story.

Last edited:

Pallas

jeff bridges opinion GIF

Top Bottom