• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Avengers save files are client side instead of server side. Big yikes.

DryvBy

Just a heads up and what I thought since the beta. The saves in Avengers are client side meaning that if you're save corrupted or you delete it, your progress is gone. Everything outside of the challenge cards are stored on your local drive. I can only imagine no one is going to spend a dollar on MTX on PC since someone will figure out how to mod the save and enable everything.

Nice job, Square.

wipeout364

Gamers are the world's most upstanding citizens. It's insulting to all of us on NeoGAF that you think this will get abused.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Do I need to create you a guide on Scheduled Tasks so you can learn how to back up your local saves?

Pretty easy to do in Windows.

Stallone

Neo Member
Isn't Monster Hunter World the same way?

It is. And besides issues that might happen with your save on your side, it unveils a big cheating issue. If your save is stored on your computer, you can tweak it as you want - and it often leads to toxicity in an online multiplayer game. It should be fixed though because Square Enix is usually really careful about these things.

Last edited:

Pejo

Looks like its time has come:

9c87580a18faf564c79ce3e5b0b03a3d.png

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
The concern is not having saves backed up... it’s cheating thru saves
Hahahahahaha
The last of your concerns regarding GaaS security should be modded save files

There's much more destructive/intrusive ways to mess with online services

If the developer hates the idea of a modded save file, they'll do a parity check on your save and flag your account for review. If it's egregious you'll get a ban

Checksum the save file at launch and close, and regular intervals during game play and voila

SaturnSaturn

Gold Member
Same as The Crew games then, saves are tied to your account, so you have to rebuy your game on another account to start over, insane shit

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Ah, yeah... Just like a true Gaa-.... Wait, huh?!

Really though, this kind of thing is absolutely asinine. In any game that has a strong focus on online play.

It is. And besides issues that might happen with your save on your side, it unveils a big cheating issue. If your save is stored on your computer, you can tweak it as you want - and it often leads to toxicity in an online multiplayer game. It should be fixed though because Square Enix is usually really careful about these things.

Monster Hunter World isn't PvP though so who cares. This shitty Avengers game though...

Last edited:
This game gets shit for a lot of valid reasons, but it's a non-competitive game so this is a non-issue. It's also not an always-online game so I'm not sure why you would think the saves would be server-side. You only need to connect to the internet a single time, as indicated when you first start up the game.

Monster Hunter World isn't PvP though so who cares. This shitty Avengers game though...
Avengers isn't PvP either so... who cares?

Top Bottom