• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE BATMAN – Main Trailer

Javthusiast

Banned
I fucking love this so much. Wish it still had the original october 2021 date.

orgasm ovaries exploding GIF

tsumake

Batman is powered by pure vitriol and part of the fun of watching him fight is that the audience knows he's not as invulnerable as he acts he is, there is supposed to be an emotional and physical vulnerability to him under his persona; this trailer doesn't show any of that; he's completely bulletproof and casual walks into sub-machine gun fire despite wearing a mask that doesn't even cover his whole face.

I wonder if the Iron Man Mk 1 suit they gave Batman was part of the reshoots. It seems like a way to hide that Pattinson didn’t work out at all for the role.

*Nightwing

Hate Robert Patterson

Detective Comics is my favorite Batman comic series, and this is nailing that in spirit on the head. Cautiously optimistic after this trailer

Last edited:

Vaelka

It was a cool trailer but people deliberately shooting him in the armor kinda took me out of it a little tbh.
Especially in the hallway it felt very obvious especially since he was walking forward pretty casually.

No one raised their gun to hit him in the face?
It'd give more tension to the scene too imo if he actually had to go out of his way to dodge or make sure that he covers his mouth.
The guns end up not feeling like a threat at all otherwise.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It was a cool trailer but people deliberately shooting him in the armor kinda took me out of it a little tbh.
Especially in the hallway it felt very obvious especially since he was walking forward pretty casually.

No one raised their gun to hit him in the face?
It'd give more tension to the scene too imo if he actually had to go out of his way to dodge or make sure that he covers his mouth.
The guns end up not feeling like a threat at all otherwise.

Why dont the bad guys never kill the good guys in the movies? Don't be ridiculous. It's a fucking Batman movie. Its not supposed to be realistic. Besides, when you see a walking armor in complete darkness and you're highly panicked you won't think where you shoot, you just do. He ain't fighting special soldiers. He's fighting punks.

mortal

Gold Member
The first trailer had me thinking this adaptation would be much more of a moodier noir/detective Batman.
It looks good for the most part, although it comes off as more bombastic and flashier than the initial impression.

The art direction and color grading still look awesome though.

Cocksman

Looks good. Not liking the suit though. Everything going forward is going to look lesser compared to the BVS suit. That shit was glorious.

kunonabi

Looks great visually but man Kravitz just can't act and I'm not sure this take on Riddler is working for me.

Last edited:

iorek21

Reminds me the Nolan trilogy a lot.

I wonder how will this new series handle the most over the top villains, or are they going to keep to the most realistic ones?

Joker is obviously a must, what other villains they could use here? I don't really think a Mr. Freeze or a Poison Ivy would fit well in this universe...

Vaelka

Why dont the bad guys never kill the good guys in the movies? Don't be ridiculous. It's a fucking Batman movie. Its not supposed to be realistic. Besides, when you see a walking armor in complete darkness and you're highly panicked you won't think where you shoot, you just do. He ain't fighting special soldiers. He's fighting punks.

You're missing my point, I am not saying that they need to kill him I am saying that they could at least look like they're trying.
It adds tension to the scene and makes it feel more real, you're kinda right about the latter but all it takes is one guy that has a functioning brain and it's not like they don't have time to react.
It's just really dumb to walk like that and let yourself get shot at you're making it sound like being shocked and paniking would make you intentionally shoot him in the chest.
Even if they'd do something more believable in that situation and just spray and pray all it'd take is one stray bullet.

It's not even really so much about realism it's more about adding tension to the scene.
If the villains pose an actual threat it makes the action feel more impactful.
And this take on Batman is trying to be more '' grounded and realistic '', so yes these things stand out more and I think it's unnecessary to act the scene out in a way that makes it so obvious and draws more attention to it.

All they'd really have to do is have him cover his mouth with his arm, it'd make the bullets feel more dangerous.
So when you see a gun on the screen you'd feel the tension and like one split second with his guard down could kill him.
It adds danger to the movie and makes it more enjoyable.

Last edited:
The shot of the mirror showing the Batmobile flying through the flames, followed by the upside down shot of Batman walking towards the car, then it turning into the logo...

200.gif

You're missing my point, I am not saying that they need to kill him I am saying that they could at least look like they're trying.
It adds tension to the scene and makes it feel more real, you're kinda right about the latter but all it takes is one guy that has a functioning brain and it's not like they don't have time to react.
It's just really dumb to walk like that and let yourself get shot at you're making it sound like being shocked and paniking would make you intentionally shoot him in the chest.
Even if they'd do something more believable in that situation and just spray and pray all it'd take is one stray bullet.

It's not even really so much about realism it's more about adding tension to the scene.
And this take on Batman is trying to be more '' grounded and realistic '', so yes these things stand out more and I think it's unnecessary to act the scene out in a way that makes it so obvious and draws more attention to it.

All they'd really have to do is have him cover his mouth with his arm, it'd make the bullets feel more dangerous.
So when you see a gun on the screen you'd feel the tension and like one split second with his guard down could kill him.
That’s what the main baddies are for. Scrubs with guns have always been and always will be cannon fodder for Batman to mow down for our pleasure.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Batman is powered by pure vitriol and part of the fun of watching him fight is that the audience knows he's not as invulnerable as he acts he is, there is supposed to be an emotional and physical vulnerability to him under his persona; this trailer doesn't show any of that; he's completely bulletproof and casual walks into sub-machine gun fire despite wearing a mask that doesn't even cover his whole face.

How about you wait for context eh? It’s a completely black room, only lit from the gunfire erupting from the gun barrels. They are probably terrified. He uses fear as a weapon. And this is a young and extremely angry Batman. Probably too reckless.

You‘re making assumptions without knowing any of the context behind that super quick sequence.

Last edited:

Jennings

The bad first, I dislike this take in Selina Kyle because she's too close to Halle Berry's Catwoman with the bald head and all. It's all I see in her, will hope there are no basketball scenes. I would have preferred they gave Kravits' character a whole different look.

The good, Love the lighting. Love the shot of the Batmobile ramping through the flames. It's glorious. Love pretty much everything about the general aesthetic of the world and its characters. I've been super pumped to see Pattinson as the bat ever since Tenet proved he's got the chops for a solid Bruce Wayne at minimum.

Last edited:

Vaelka

How about you wait for context eh? It’s a completely black room, only lit from the gunfire erupting from the gun barrels. They are probably terrified. He uses fear as a weapon. And this is a young and extremely angry Batman. Probably too reckless.

You‘re making assumptions without knowing any of the context behind that super quick sequence.
That’s what the main baddies are for. Scrubs with guns have always been and always will be cannon fodder for Batman to mow down for our pleasure.

It's like neither of you even read or thought at all about what I said.

The cannon fodder thing works fine in a more stylized and cartoony movie like the Avengers or something.
But the tone in this movie is totally different, even in the Christopher Nolan movies they had the sense to at least have Batman use stealth against people with guns and to have guns magically disappear in melee scenes.
Sure the latter is stupid too, but at least they acknowledged guns as an actual threat.

Batman is also not Superman, he's obviously a super ultra ninja elite warrior 1337xXx of doom but he can still die from a bullet and isn't invinsible.
So yeah a guy with a gun should be taken more seriously as a threat than '' I am going to slowly do my casual walk as multiple people are shooting at me for a good couple of seconds before I react ''.

I mean I think that what I am saying is pretty common sense and would ultimately make the movie better.
Take a hero who is fighting a bunch of guys in a medieval setting and the goons are just swinging at his armor constantly while the hero is slaughtering them and the villains armor is made out of butter vs the same hero where the goons are actually going for the gaps and the hero has to react and move accordingly.
Which would have more tension?

Imo when there is tension and you feel like the hero is in danger it makes the action better.
There's another scene too where Batman gets shot at close range and the guy who shoots him and the people around don't seem panicked at all.
You could argue that he doesn't expect it to be bullet proof but cmon, Batman is totally in black with one spot.
That one spot is drawing all of the attention of your eyes and people tend to shoot where they're looking, so why are their eyes being drawn to literally the least expected place their eyes would look?

I am not attacking the movie or saying it's going to be awful I am just saying that it took me out of it a little and I expect better in a movie like this.
And there is a difference between being reckless and suicidal, by that logic why would he use stealth at all or armor and gadgets?
He's reckless but he's clearly not THAT reckless.

And if he's angry and reckless then why wouldn't he be more aggressive, it makes him seem like an old man with *HORRIBLE* reflexes.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Batman is also not Superman, he's obviously a super ultra ninja elite warrior 1337xXx of doom but he can still die from a bullet and isn't invinsible.
So yeah a guy with a gun should be taken more seriously as a threat than '' I am going to slowly do my casual walk as multiple people are shooting at me for a good couple of seconds before I react ''.

Yeah, but did you stop to consider that his recklessness is entirely deliberate on Reeves’s part? You‘re making a complaint based on no knowledge of what’s happening beyond those couple of seconds. Like I say, wait for the context. You may find that your objection to him being reckless is part of the character arc he has in the film.

DonJorginho

Banned
So beautiful seeing more Pattinson doubters come to their senses now and join the hype train me and many others were on since day dot.

Pattinson in my opinion can surpass Bale and make the role his own. He's a powerhouse of an actor.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
no you don't understand, if you see the trailer he is more brutal and a bit messy, even taking bullets just because he can. When he was punching the thug, when he was interrogating riddler etc etc... that's obviously a young ruthless Batman. Even Selena was scared in a scene. I feel like that's on purpose because something is going to happen and he's gonna become the Batman we all know, tactical and shit.
They had a behind the scenes quick spot on ign and it says this batman has uncontrollable rage, and he doesn't know why he's angry, but hes pissed

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What horrendous casting choices?

Robert Pattinson, Paul Dano and Colin Farrell are three of the starring roles and are three of the finest actors out there atm, how on earth is that horrendous casting?

Robert Pattinson is a 130lb Brit who's been plastered on magazine covers at grocery store checkouts for the last 15 years. About as believable as Angelona Jolie was in SALT.

Dano is fine. Colin Ferrell and Zoe Kravitz are gross Hollywood.

People Magazine the movie.

DonJorginho

Banned
Robert Pattinson is a 130lb Brit who's been plastered on magazine covers at grocery store checkouts for the last 15 years. About as believable as Angelona Jolie was in SALT.

Pattinson has already proven himself in many roles, he's one of the most talented actors around and there's a reason every director wants to work with him. Your childish reasoning mentioned nothing of his acting nouse and just exposes your love for grocery store magazines if anything.

Colin Farrell is mainstream but he's a great actor, same with Zoe Kravtiz, they're both great.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

It's a comic book movie. Perhaps you should watch something more realistic such a documentaries?

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The missus used to drone on about Twilight, wasnt for me, I saw Robert as a bit of a lame duck, after seeing The Lighthouse I withdrew that thought, that was an awsome show of how good he was and a brilliant film

Looking forward to this!

Ionian

The missus used to drone on about Twilight, wasnt for me, I saw Robert as a bit of a lame duck, after seeing The Lighthouse I withdrew that thought, that was an awsome show of how good he was and a brilliant film

Looking forward to this!

Exact same for me. The film really proved his acting chops.

Never watched Twilight, just thought he was some pretty-boy. Not my type of film anyway (Twilight).

VN1X

Banned

Looking forward to this!
If you've only seen him in the Lighthouse you should check out some of his other films. He's phenomenal.

I recommend The Rover for starters.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Big Affleck fan, huh?

never been a big batman fan but that trailer was damn good. only batman i've seen is the dark knight but i'll be going to cinema to see this. plus, i got to see them filming some scenes cause they came to my city so i want to see what they do with it. the trailer has a scene i saw filmed :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom