• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE BATMAN – Main Trailer

Wunray

The walk to the camera at the end was the best thing I've seen all year. Even better than seeing doc of return. In there on day 1.

Labolas

I'm not entirely sold on Pattinson as Bruce Wayne but him as Batman is pretty convincing. As for the rest of the trailer, I'm in.

Keihart

You're missing my point, I am not saying that they need to kill him I am saying that they could at least look like they're trying.
It adds tension to the scene and makes it feel more real, you're kinda right about the latter but all it takes is one guy that has a functioning brain and it's not like they don't have time to react.
It's just really dumb to walk like that and let yourself get shot at you're making it sound like being shocked and paniking would make you intentionally shoot him in the chest.
Even if they'd do something more believable in that situation and just spray and pray all it'd take is one stray bullet.

It's not even really so much about realism it's more about adding tension to the scene.
If the villains pose an actual threat it makes the action feel more impactful.
And this take on Batman is trying to be more '' grounded and realistic '', so yes these things stand out more and I think it's unnecessary to act the scene out in a way that makes it so obvious and draws more attention to it.

All they'd really have to do is have him cover his mouth with his arm, it'd make the bullets feel more dangerous.
So when you see a gun on the screen you'd feel the tension and like one split second with his guard down could kill him.
It adds danger to the movie and makes it more enjoyable.
Should of walked with his forearms on his face, would of look cooler and more practical, i agree that is weird to have a more utilitarian suit in a grounded movie and make him take the risk like that, feels pointless and at odds.

Somthing like this:
Edit: i guess a one handed hold of the cloak like Dracula would work too if it's bulletproof as well.

oBooxY7.png

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The cinematography is gorgeous. Same cinematographer as the new Dune film. Check out the shot of Gordon standing by the signal with the view of Gotham lit up behind him, or the shot of Bruce and Selina's silhouettes against the morning sky. This is a gorgeous looking film, which is already something to be excited about.

As for the cast, I don't know how those of y'all who were hating on it sleep at night :p

They're literally all killing it in the trailer. Pattinson and Pharrel in particular. The shot where Selina is questioning Batman's identity, you can already see so much pain, and at the same time, a confidence and determination in his expression.

Pharrell is losing himself in Oswald and his delivery is fantastic. Great stuff.

And you'd have to be living as dangerously as Austin Powers to bet against Paul Dano as riddler. He didn't get to do much here, but I guarantee you he is going to steal a scene or two. The guy is super talented. Sure, he doesn't look like the typical Riddler - he looks better, and honestly not that far off from the heart of the character. The basis is an intelligent, yet deranged egomaniac who likes to screw with people, using riddles.

I'm just so amped on this trailer. I know it can't please everyone, but this take on Batman excites me. I feel like it captures the character very well and feels fresh at the same time.
Some people think it feels too much like Nolan. I can see where they are coming from. There are similar tones, but I think once we take it all in, we will see more of what makes it stand apart.
Edit Reply

MastaKiiLA

DC will keep going back to this well, because they're tethered to a shitty studio in WB. That said, this looks awesome, and I hope Patterson is in it for a trilogy, because he looks the business in that suit.

Romulus

Anyone remember in Batman Begins when Batman uses Scarecrow's pathogen against him? Remember how he saw batman as some demon? The mask should take cues from that design. That was sinister as hell.

Ionian

What is issue with misspelling names in this thread?

Thought the dude from the NEPTUNES was in it.

Funny shit.

kunonabi

The cinematography is gorgeous. Same cinematographer as the new Dune film. Check out the shot of Gordon standing by the signal with the view of Gotham lit up behind him, or the shot of Bruce and Selina's silhouettes against the morning sky. This is a gorgeous looking film, which is already something to be excited about.

As for the cast, I don't know how those of y'all who were hating on it sleep at night :p

They're literally all killing it in the trailer. Pattinson and Pharrel in particular. The shot where Selina is questioning Batman's identity, you can already see so much pain, and at the same time, a confidence and determination in his expression.

Pharrell is losing himself in Oswald and his delivery is fantastic. Great stuff.

And you'd have to be living as dangerously as Austin Powers to bet against Paul Dano as riddler. He didn't get to do much here, but I guarantee you he is going to steal a scene or two. The guy is super talented. Sure, he doesn't look like the typical Riddler - he looks better, and honestly not that far off from the heart of the character. The basis is an intelligent, yet deranged egomaniac who likes to screw with people, using riddles.

I'm just so amped on this trailer. I know it can't please everyone, but this take on Batman excites me. I feel like it captures the character very well and feels fresh at the same time.
Some people think it feels too much like Nolan. I can see where they are coming from. There are similar tones, but I think once we take it all in, we will see more of what makes it stand apart.
Edit Reply
Dano as Riddler is perfect casting but their take on the Riddler so far is very eh. I got no beef with Pattinson but at the moment his Batman is somewhat hit or miss. Some bits in the trailer are perfect and others don't really land. I had the same feeling towards Ledger's Joker so I'm not really worried on that end. Kravitz is the one big misfire but that's pretty much her whole career up to this point.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
My only issue here is Batman walking into two machine guns without even flinching.

Yeah, I noticed that. It was like he was getting shot with automatic potato guns.

Overall great trailer. Can't wait.

Also, I've heard rumours that the Court of the Owls might make an appearance in this film? Can anyone confirm if that's true?

SJRB

Gold Member
My only issue here is Batman walking into two machine guns without even flinching.

[Plot] armor aside, I think the trailer shows very well that Bruce really doesn't give a fuck if he lives or dies.

There are plenty of scenes that show him going too far. He's super unhinged.

I just wish the cowl was a bit less goofy.

Dorohedoro

I would've preferred to see Catwoman wear a cowl and goggles like in the Rocksteady/Telltale Batman games but the movie looks good apart from that.

It's like neither of you even read or thought at all about what I said.

The cannon fodder thing works fine in a more stylized and cartoony movie like the Avengers or something.
But the tone in this movie is totally different, even in the Christopher Nolan movies they had the sense to at least have Batman use stealth against people with guns and to have guns magically disappear in melee scenes.
Sure the latter is stupid too, but at least they acknowledged guns as an actual threat.

Batman is also not Superman, he's obviously a super ultra ninja elite warrior 1337xXx of doom but he can still die from a bullet and isn't invinsible.
So yeah a guy with a gun should be taken more seriously as a threat than '' I am going to slowly do my casual walk as multiple people are shooting at me for a good couple of seconds before I react ''.

I mean I think that what I am saying is pretty common sense and would ultimately make the movie better.
Take a hero who is fighting a bunch of guys in a medieval setting and the goons are just swinging at his armor constantly while the hero is slaughtering them and the villains armor is made out of butter vs the same hero where the goons are actually going for the gaps and the hero has to react and move accordingly.
Which would have more tension?

Imo when there is tension and you feel like the hero is in danger it makes the action better.
There's another scene too where Batman gets shot at close range and the guy who shoots him and the people around don't seem panicked at all.
You could argue that he doesn't expect it to be bullet proof but cmon, Batman is totally in black with one spot.
That one spot is drawing all of the attention of your eyes and people tend to shoot where they're looking, so why are their eyes being drawn to literally the least expected place their eyes would look?

I am not attacking the movie or saying it's going to be awful I am just saying that it took me out of it a little and I expect better in a movie like this.
And there is a difference between being reckless and suicidal, by that logic why would he use stealth at all or armor and gadgets?
He's reckless but he's clearly not THAT reckless.

And if he's angry and reckless then why wouldn't he be more aggressive, it makes him seem like an old man with *HORRIBLE* reflexes.
I didn’t think much about it because I treat movies like this as popcorn flicks. I don’t want to or need to think critically about films like these.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
[Plot] armor aside, I think the trailer shows very well that Bruce really doesn't give a fuck if he lives or dies.

There are plenty of scenes that show him going too far. He's super unhinged.

Yep. That’s the whole point of that sequence.

Nice! Cinematography is incredible. I'm not fully sold on Selina yet, i didn't like the Character in TDKR and this just seems to be the same direction.
The over-flirty femme fatale is just not really an interesting character anymore. But i hope we are in for some surprises.

cr0w

Old Member
People got used to the Ben Affleck beast, which was needed to be convincing against Supe, that was also short lived when push came to shove.

Well, Bale was legitimately beefy in Begins partially due to how quickly he put weight on after going straight to Batman from The Machinist. He had more of a swimmer's physique in TDK and was even smaller in TDKR for the most part, which is why it's silly to say Pattinson looks small in The Batman. This shot next to Gordon will give a pretty good idea of his stature.

8dspqg13j0u71.png

Marvel14

Banned
Looks very gritty and super dark....I was a little Bat-full after the Nolan trilogy but this take looks super interesting and fresh.

The guy playing the Riddler is an awesome actor and making him a demented serial killer could be a stroke of genius.

Marvel14

Banned
Batman is powered by pure vitriol and part of the fun of watching him fight is that the audience knows he's not as invulnerable as he acts he is, there is supposed to be an emotional and physical vulnerability to him under his persona; this trailer doesn't show any of that; he's completely bulletproof and casual walks into sub-machine gun fire despite wearing a mask that doesn't even cover his whole face.
Except there's a scene in the trailer where you can see all the scars on his back....so maybe let's wait till its out before we judge if they're playing him as if he was Superman.

Top Bottom