• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Batman officially rated PG-13 (not R like some were hoping)

ManaByte

The Batman has received its official MPA rating, and it looks as though it’s not quite as hardcore as we were led to believe.

According to its most recent bulletin, The Batman has been rated PG-13 by the Classification and Rating Administration.

The film has been “Rated PG-13 for strong violent and disturbing content, drug content, strong language, and some suggestive material.”

The only site I can find pushing the R rating stuff was WGTC, which just makes up bullshit for clicks

WB was never going to allow the #2 selling superhero toy character to release with a R rating.

ManaByte

Kind of expected. When was the last time there was an R-rated Batman?
Ben Affleck Superman Vs Batman GIF by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

SJRB

Gold Member
Even with the PG-13 rating it's probably going to be the most gnarly Batman movie we've ever seen.

It has vibes of Zodiac and Seven all over.

GeekyDad

Loooool.

Why would Batman need to be R rated? That's just fucking dumb. I side-eye anybody who begs for a R rated Batman movie.
I agree in so much that it doesn't need to be R-rated (and I don't want it to be for any particular reason). But the original trailer last year was presenting the film as one thing, and this latest trailer is presenting it as something quite different in terms of tone and focus. The R-rating would have merely given me more hope that it was going to focus more on what the original trailer showed: a very violent, young and ignorant Bruce Wayne -- the true beginning. The latest trailer, as I said in another thread, seems to be Twilight with Batman costumes. And the PG-13 rating kinda (in my opinion, of course) falls in line with that.

And when you try to please everyone rather than focus on inspiration, it typically doesn't turn out great.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I never understood why all these nerds want to take this shit literally made to entertain 7 year olds and turn it into the fucking Wire. Go watch adult shit instead of trying to turn kid shit into adult shit.

It's mainly all the edgelord Zack Snyder fans who wanted an R rated Batman so desperately. Kinda pathetic.

I started loving the character when I was a kid... why stop kids these days from seeing his movies as well?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I agree in so much that it doesn't need to be R-rated (and I don't want it to be for any particular reason). But the original trailer last year was presenting the film as one thing, and this latest trailer is presenting it as something quite different in terms of tone and focus. The R-rating would have merely given me more hope that it was going to focus more on what the original trailer showed: a very violent, young and ignorant Bruce Wayne -- the true beginning. The latest trailer, as I said in another thread, seems to be Twilight with Batman costumes. And the PG-13 rating kinda (in my opinion, of course) falls in line with that.

And when you try to please everyone rather than focus on inspiration, it typically doesn't turn out great.

DC and WB would never make Batman R-rated. The character is a money spinner for kids toys and other child related merchandise. They'd lose millions by doing that.

Also, not aimed at you, but what do people really want from a R-rated Batman? Why do people want this?

Do they want to see Batman rip people in half and roll around in the blood like an animal? Or maybe it's to see Batman suck off Alfred while Catwoman tickles his bum hole? Is that what people want from a R-rated Batman. Batman X Fifty shades of grey?!

Like I said. Anybody who wants a R-rated Batman deserves the side-eye.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Good, you don't need guts falling out in 3D, titties and f-bombs to make a good Batman movie, it's fucking Batman. Guts, titties and f-bombs have their place.

The Dark Knight had the Joker impaling somebody's eye with a pencil. A close-up of the pencil going into the eye would not make it a better movie.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I can't even remember what was R worthy about that film.
A slightly elevated of violence. One example is that during the warehouse fight, Batman chucks a dude, and when his head hits the wall, you see a big splatter of blood stain the wall, whereas in the original cut, I believe there is no blood stain.

I'm just glad to hear that test screenings indicate this is a very dark, moody film. I don't need everything to be grim-dark, but I'm really looking forward to this. I'm sort of hoping for some classic Alex Proyas vibes from this.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Logan, Deadpool, Joker.. all R Rated all made massive amounts of money and all benefited from being R rated, I would've loved this to have been R rated

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I don't think an R-rated Batman is out of the question at all. People love to declare things will never happen. Tobey Maguire is never coming back, Joker will never get an R-rated solo movie, there will never be an Avengers movie that builds upon previous solo movies starring Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, which leads into the highest grossing fil- you get the point.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a director's cut or extended version on HBO MAX that will be R-rated, but even if not, there's always the possibility in the future - if the material calls for it. It just makes me think of explicit violence or sexuality, both of which could maybe enhance the tone of the story if they really want to "put us in the shit" of Gotham, at some point down the line.

I mean, who knows. All I'm saying is it's not that crazy of a proposition. Crazier things happen in Hollywood all the time. WB would need to really be convinced though. I imagine that type of deal would come along when they are desperate for a director. You know, like David Fincher steps in the door again, at the right time, and they're desperate for his take.

Little Mac

It's a shame because I was getting some serious Se7en vibes from the trailer. Dark Knight Rises was PG13 though so I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Vagswarm

Didn't expect any different. Why would they limit the audience of a mainline franchise or steer too far from what it is?

The Dark Knight was perfectly fine as a PG-13 movie.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Well seeing as Christopher Nolan's trilogy was rated a twelve I'm not going to shit the bed just yet. I'll remain optimistic until I see it in the flesh, who knows this could be great.

IDKFA

Logan, Deadpool, Joker.. all R Rated all made massive amounts of money and all benefited from being R rated, I would've loved this to have been R rated

Batman sells a load of merchandise aimed at children. A hell of a lot more than Joker, Deadpool and Wolverine combined. There is no why they'll make Batman go R rated.

Why would you want Batman to go R rated? What could this possibly add to Batman to make it better? Blood and gore? Hardcore sex? What do you want from a R rated Batman?

Vagswarm

Batman sells a load of merchandise aimed at children. A hell of a lot more than Joker, Deadpool and Wolverine combined. There is no why they'll make Batman go R rated.

Why would you want Batman to go R rated? What could this possibly add to Batman to make it better? Blood and gore? Hardcore sex? What do you want from a R rated Batman?
Was thinking the same thing. Batman is right up there with Superman and the Avengers. They will want to target as many people as possible.

I give them credit for the dark knight trilogy... it was definitely darker than most mainstream comic movies. And it was perfectly fine.

SJRB

Gold Member

Agreed. Seeing an R-rating as some bizarre seal of extra quality makes no sense.

Kadve

More parents will take their kids to PG13 than to R.
What sicko of a parent takes a child to a R-rated movie? I know the rating system is completely messed up nowadays, but that's just wrong and cruel.

Anyway. I'm fine with it being PG-13. There is nothing related to Batman that needs him to be R-rated unlike Deadpool.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

What sicko of a parent takes a child to a R-rated movie? I know the rating system is completely messed up nowadays, but that's just wrong and cruel.

Anyway. I'm fine with it being PG-13. There is nothing related to Batman that needs him to be R-rated unlike Deadpool.
I have been to plenty of R movies and seen parents with kids as young as 8 or 9 in there with them. So there are plenty.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

It doesn't have to be filled with blood and gore, but look how they approached the Joker, instead of a cartoonist comic book character they made a deeply disturbed wholey realistic take on him and the violence, now think Batman but make him more brutal and violent, make the guys he's going after brutal and make it realistic, dump the physics defying toys and bombastic set pieces and just ground it all in the same world as the Joker is what I would've wanted instead all we've got is an admittedly good looking batman film no different than the countless takes of the character we've seen before

Thaedolus

To the surprise of no one? I like my R rated content as much as anyone, but Batman is very much a PG-13 movie franchise.

PG-13 combined with the twilight star is a good business movie , this will bring new audience to batman
robert pattinson deserves more than "the twilight star". yeah that's what made him really famous but c'mon. he's been in a lot of great movies since then.

to me i'll always remember him as Cedric Diggory and my favourite film he has done is The Lighthouse.

Last edited:

IDKFA

It doesn't have to be filled with blood and gore, but look how they approached the Joker, instead of a cartoonist comic book character they made a deeply disturbed wholey realistic take on him and the violence, now think Batman but make him more brutal and violent, make the guys he's going after brutal and make it realistic, dump the physics defying toys and bombastic set pieces and just ground it all in the same world as the Joker is what I would've wanted instead all we've got is an admittedly good looking batman film no different than the countless takes of the character we've seen before

We've had a grounded and realistic take on Batman. That was the Nolan trilogy. However, it didn't need to have a R rating (or 18 rating in the UK) to be an amazing take on Batman. It had violence, but didn't go into extreme territories to push it up to an R rating. For that, we'd need to see lots of blood and gore and possibly hardcore sex, which if I'm being honest is what people want when they beg for an R rated Batman.

Be honest. Do you want to see Batman festoon the Batcave with the guts of his fallen foes (victims?/), or see Bruce Wayne and Alfred in some hardcore, animalistic, raw sex scene? Because that's what people seem to want from a R rated Batman and frankly, the idea of that is complete nonsense.

WB make a ton of money from Batman merchandise aimed at children. He was a character designed to sell comics to children after all. If WB made an R rated Batman it would cut off a large revenue stream for them. It would be as crazy as Disney making an R rated Spider-Man film.

Joker was different. WB don't make a fraction of the merchandise money from Joker as they do from Batman, so a R rated Joker movie, which handles adult themes such as mental illness, was far less of a risk. The Joker movie also could have dropped the Joker name, been set outside of the DC universe and it would have lost none of it's story or original themes. It didn't have to be a Joker origin story at all. In fact, I felt bringing in Bruce and Thomas Wayne were the weakest aspects of the story because it tried to shoehorn in the DC universe.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
We've had a grounded and realistic take on Batman. That was the Nolan trilogy. However, it didn't need to have a R rating (or 18 rating in the UK) to be an amazing take on Batman. It had violence, but didn't go into extreme territories to push it up to an R rating. For that, we'd need to see lots of blood and gore and possibly hardcore sex, which if I'm being honest is what people want when they beg for an R rated Batman.

Be honest. Do you want to see Batman festoon the Batcave with the guts of his fallen foes (victims?/), or see Bruce Wayne and Alfred in some hardcore, animalistic, raw sex scene? Because that's what people seem to want from a R rated Batman and frankly, the idea of that is complete nonsense.

WB make a ton of money from Batman merchandise aimed at children. He was a character designed to sell comics to children after all. If WB made an R rated Batman it would cut off a large revenue stream for them. It would be as crazy as Disney making an R rated Spider-Man film.

Joker was different. WB don't make a fraction of the merchandise money from Joker as they do from Batman, so a R rated Joker movie, which handles adult themes such as mental illness, was far less of a risk. The Joker movie also could have dropped the Joker name, been set outside of the DC universe and it would have lost none of it's story or original themes. It didn't have to be a Joker origin story at all. In fact, I felt bringing in Bruce and Thomas Wayne were the weakest aspects of the story because it tried to shoehorn in the DC universe.
Now you're being silly, I don't want to see any sex in a bloody batman movie and I fully understand the reasons behind why Batman is rated, I'm just saying I would've like to have seen a Logan take on the character where the writing is not held back, have him skirt the fine line of becoming the monsters he's hunting

IDKFA

Now you're being silly, I don't want to see any sex in a bloody batman movie and I fully understand the reasons behind why Batman is rated, I'm just saying I would've like to have seen a Logan take on the character where the writing is not held back, have him skirt the fine line of becoming the monsters he's hunting

So you want Batman to be a complete psychopath who beats people to a bloody pulp?

Logan got the R rating because Logan brutally killed people. That would be ridiculous in a Batman film.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
So you want Batman to be a complete psychopath who beats people to a bloody pulp?

Logan got the R rating because Logan brutally killed people. That would be ridiculous in a Batman film.
Yes I want him to be a raging vigilante, taking out his pain on a proper seedy Gotham through brutality, like I said I wanted something different each subsequent movie kinda ups the violence if you haven't noticed so why not go all out, have the audience at the start of the movie uncomfortable with supporting the bat due to his means and redeem him by the end, y'know.. something new

ManaByte

Someone says to me: [Ben Affleck’s] Batman killed a guy. I’m like, ‘Fuck, really? Wake the fuck up. Once you've lost your virginity to this fucking movie and then you come and say to me something about like ‘my superhero wouldn’t do that.' I’m like ‘Are you serious?’ I’m like down the fucking road on that. It’s a cool point of view to be like ‘my heroes are still innocent. My heroes didn't fucking lie to America. My heroes didn't embezzle money from their corporations. My heroes didn't commit any atrocities.' That’s cool. But you’re living in a fucking dream world.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
sure look how cunts got their knickers in a twist cause Supes killed Zod... yeah lets just forget about the absoute carnage wrecked on the city and god only knows how many human lives lost.. but supes kills 1 baddie comic nerds have a fucking meltdown

Top Bottom