• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Batman seems to borrow a lot from TDK Trilogy

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Is it just me?

Of course this is just speculation, but for now Catwoman seems to have the same treatment as in TDKR, we also have The Riddler who is acting like the Joker in some ways...

unknown.png
unknown.png

Catwoman doing cat stuff:
unknown.png
unknown.png

Message from the bad guy/some trolling:
unknown.png
unknown.png

Shootout in the tunnel and interrogatory:
Sans_titre.png
Sans_titre.png

There is other little things but I guess this already gave an idea. I'm still not sold on Pattinson but since it's Matt Reeves I'm sure it's gonna be a solid entry, can't wait to see his take on the Dark Knight and how some scenes will play out !

Last edited:
^yup. When all films draw upon the comics, there will obviously be some similarities. However, what sets Matt Reeves version apart is showing a Batman who doesn't have his shit together and is just a angry, brutal thug. At least, that's the impression I get from the trailers. This dude just wants to hurt criminals, and hurt them bad.

GeekyDad

They're pulling from the same source material. There's bound to be some similarities.
Yup.

But the vibe seems a whole lot darker (surprisingly) and edgier. For this Batman, I think they made a good choice for their lead.

That being said, just going by the trailers, I'm not caring for the Catwoman thing. Awkward to have that in the middle of the punk-violent action/drama the rest of the trailer(s) shows.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
When you're doing a "serious" take on the same source material it's bound to look similar at least in trailers.

I just really hope the reports of it being way more of a detective Batman are accurate. That's what Batman is, I want him to actually solve something.

When you're doing a "serious" take on the same source material it's bound to look similar at least in trailers.

I just really hope the reports of it being way more of a detective Batman are accurate. That's what Batman is, I want him to actually solve something.
He probably just figures out the Riddler's bullshit a few times when the police can't, but i think its an action/horror film.

GermanZepp

Yeah, i notice this myself. I think is unnecesary and show lack of creativity, at lest from what i saw in the trailer.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
They're pulling from the same source material. There's bound to be some similarities.
Yes and no?
Sure there can be some similarities about the treatment and eventually some scenes but appart from that, they both don't take inspiration from the same, very specific comics. Here you can see entire scenes with specific camera angle and ideas just recopied again.

However, what sets Matt Reeves version apart is showing a Batman who doesn't have his shit together and is just a angry, brutal thug
Battfleck did that and was criticized for it. And Batinson is Batman for only 2 years and he is like that? By the end of his career he is gonna send bat-nuke to criminal.

I hope you are right, and yeah I can't wait to see his detective skills in action !

Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

cr0w

Old Member
You know Batman existed before the Nolan movies, right? Between 1939-2021, there's a whole lot of source material and tropes to draw from. There are bound to be similarities here and there.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You know Batman existed before the Nolan movies, right? Between 1939-2021, there's a whole lot of source material and tropes to draw from. There are bound to be similarities here and there.
Yeah, precisely ! That's why I think it's curious to have so many similarities between TDK movies and The Batman. You have decades of ideas and concept yet that movie drawn a lot from TDK trilogy.
As I said, it's literally the same camera angles, the same scenes, the vilain doing the same things...

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah, precisely ! That's why I think it's curious to have so many similarities between TDK movies and The Batman. You have decades of ideas and concept yet that movie drawn a lot from TDK trilogy.
As I said, it's literally the same camera angles, the same scenes, the vilain doing the same things...

The problem is the trailer is cut just like every other trailer - to hype up a product. They are rarely representative of the actual movie.

By all accounts, The Batman is vastly different to The Dark Knight trilogy in the respect it's a neo noir thriller, with Batman primarily working as a detective to solve a case. I'm willing to bet that this trailer is made up of all the action beats in the film. I doubt there are any missing.

I get your point that the stuff on show seems similar to TDK, but I think that's just the trailer people wanting to sell the movie to the audience that spent billions on the TDK trilogy.

Don't worry about it. The final film is going to be very different.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The problem is the trailer is cut just like every other trailer - to hype up a product. They are rarely representative of the actual movie.

By all accounts, The Batman is vastly different to The Dark Knight trilogy in the respect it's a neo noir thriller, with Batman primarily working as a detective to solve a case. I'm willing to bet that this trailer is made up of all the action beats in the film. I doubt there are any missing.

I get your point that the stuff on show seems similar to TDK, but I think that's just the trailer people wanting to sell the movie to the audience that spent billions on the TDK trilogy.

Don't worry about it. The final film is going to be very different.
Thx for making an actual point! And I think ou are right.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Without the joker? The dark knight is great for a variety of reasons. I look at the dark knight as the joker taking pressure off the Batman. Batman basically contributes where he can when Superman is out there (alien warrior) it’s the opposite you have to remind people who the Superman bad guy is.

cr0w

Old Member

It's 2 1/2 minutes of mostly single shots from a 3-hour movie. The vast majority of Average Joe moviegoers are mostly familiar with Batman through the Nolan trilogy, so it would stand to reason that the editing house that cut the trailer would seek out familiar shots to make people more comfortable with the product, for lack of a better term.

I don't mind if they are. I loved the tone of Batman Begins and Dark Knight. Nolan's trilogy holds up on rewatches for me.

Batman Begins especially has really grown on me over the years. I think it's pretty great.

I did not know until a few hours after the trailer had dropped that Colin Farrell was playing the Pinguin...Astonishing transformation, including his voice.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Having been a big Batman comic reader as a kid, I can see that ever since Batman Begins they've been pulling stories from the same shallow pool of comic stories. They can only do that so much before it all starts seeming eerily similar.

- Lots of Batman Year One
- Narrative similarities to The Long Halloween
- Inspirations and homages from The Dark Knight Returns
- Inspirations and homages from A Lonely Place of Dying as it relates to Bruce Wayne's dealing with grief

Over, and over, and over

Kenpachii

also copy's the scene with darth vader in rogue one, where he walks through a small coridoor area in the dark people shoot at him and he walks towards them and crushes them.

Sadly not remotely as well done tho, looked kinda bad.

GeekyDad

I don't mind if they are. I loved the tone of Batman Begins and Dark Knight. Nolan's trilogy holds up on rewatches for me.

Batman Begins especially has really grown on me over the years. I think it's pretty great.
It's still my personal favorite of the bunch.
Having been a big Batman comic reader as a kid, I can see that ever since Batman Begins they've been pulling stories from the same shallow pool of comic stories. They can only do that so much before it all starts seeming eerily similar.

- Lots of Batman Year One
- Narrative similarities to The Long Halloween
- Inspirations and homages from The Dark Knight Returns
- Inspirations and homages from A Lonely Place of Dying as it relates to Bruce Wayne's dealing with grief

Over, and over, and over
Fair enough, and like you, I'd like to see something new that isn't shite (Ben Affleck Baturd). But it's understandable, since really, the studios are simply trying to appeal to the new, younger audiences each decade or so. And well, it's time, I guess.

But I still think this one has promise to be entertaining.

sobaka770

Banned
I mean in you're going to steal - steal from the best. I think there's hope for this movie yet to be it's own thing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cant they get some better looking Catwomen lately?

Anne Hatheway and this latest one. Ugh.

Bring back some women who look like Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry.

Last edited:

fatmarco

I agree with OP, there's clearly a lot of scenes/inspiration taken from the DK trilogy, which is fine and makes sense.

The idea that this is all just typical batman stuff is nonsense, they're obviously conscious that those scenes have been done before in the most successful iteration of batman on film.

There's a lot of Batman imagery they could use from other media, but you are still seeing a lot of DK stuff, Burton stuff, and even, you could argue, some BVS stuff. Which again, is perfectly fine.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I mean, it's meant to be Batman Year One Batman, so his first year as Batman.

This. Pretty sure they've said that Bruce has only been in the role for a year. I like the idea of a raw, inexperienced Batman.

Really looking forward to this one. Especially at the hints of the Court of Owls making an appearance.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Looks like more grimdark snores from DC. Pattinson has no charisma. He's a fine actor but I can't be bothered to care when he's on-screen.

Top Bottom