• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - 50th Anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new stereo mix is very interesting but it definitely brings up the whole debate on original creators intent vs advancements in technology. You can notice a lot of little details that were much more quiet in the mono/original stereo. Is that better though? Especially when the original mono is how the Beatles wanted the album to sound.

epmode

The new stereo mix is very interesting but it definitely brings up the whole debate on original creators intent vs advancements in technology. You can notice a lot of little details that were much more quiet in the mono/original stereo. Is that better though? Especially when the original mono is how the Beatles wanted the album to sound.

The current producers have been good about providing alternate mixes much closer to the original intent. The same goes here where they've provided a new, cleaned up mono mix. I like having both options.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Got the deluxe today. Id love to compare them with the mono and stereo versions from 2009 but my fucking ear is completely swollen shut thanks to allergies. The 5.1 will be great too.

It's so jarring how much clearer this is, and it really sounds like a live performance per the concept. I've never been able to hear that before. Damn.

Got the deluxe today. Id love to compare them with the mono and stereo versions from 2009 but my fucking ear is completely swollen shut thanks to allergies. The 5.1 will be great too.

Ah, darn you (but hope you feel better). The blu release is too expensive for me right now. Very jealous. Prime streaming is already great through my sound receiver so I can only dream what the blu offers.

Yeah, it popped up in Apple Music.

cCfPr98.jpg

Obscura

Anywhere I can buy a high quality digital copy? Trying to buy as little physical product (music and movie-wise) as possible atm.

tanuki

Amazing remix, and a lot more faithful to the sound of the original mono mix. Giles Martin did a great job.

I'm really loving this mix. The stereo isn't distractingly awkward like the old mix, and it does sound like a whole new album with this little bit of clean-up. It really feels fresh.

TS-08

About halfway through it now and you all aren't kidding. I'm really noticing how different the songs sound. So far Fixing a Hole seems the most changed to me. The drums in particular have more punch than I ever remember hearing before.

Drain You

Man I really want the deluxe, but I can't justify the price right now. Already own Sgt. Peppers on vinyl anyways, always really loved the giant photo of the four of them on the inside.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Cruised through it all on Spotify and then went through the double LP at home after work--sounds absolutely terrific. Tons of punch, great mix.

TS-08

I'm really loving the new mix. Good Morning Good Morning sounds punchy as fuck.

I'm literally listening to it right now and it feels completely different. Every sound is distinct and just pops. I think it's the most changed so far for me now.

Altazor

I'm literally listening to it right now and it feels completely different. Every sound is distinct and just pops. I think it's the most changed so far for me now.

it always sounded a bit muddy and messy to me, but with the new mix... it just shines. And punches. And rocks.

Also, the drums at the start of Sgt. Pepper's reprise - fucking powerful.

listening to this right now, and this is a pretty amazing remix. Sounds great. Songs I was never super into before for some reason or another are sticking out to me and I'm loving them.

Fixing a Hole kicked my ass. Currently on Within You Without You and while I'm not really into this track, I have a greater appreciation for the production now hearing it all cleaned up.

I can't wait to get to that Sgt Pepper Reprise. I'm ready for those drums to just punch me in the gut.

TS-08

listening to this right now, and this is a pretty amazing remix. Sounds great. Songs I was never super into before for some reason or another are sticking out to me and I'm loving them.

Fixing a Hole kicked my ass. Currently on Within You Without You and while I'm not really into this track, I have a greater appreciation for the production now hearing it all cleaned up.

I can't wait to get to that Sgt Pepper Reprise. I'm ready for those drums to just punch me in the gut.

If you want punch, Good Morning Good Morning is going to be Muhammad Ali.

Altazor

god, now I want a Revolver new mix done by Giles Martin.

Tomorrow Never Knows but spacier and punchier and fuller... fuck. Some transcendental shit right there. Eternal.

Dayum. It sounds so open. Given how consolidated the various stems probably were I expected a handful of distinct mono channels panned so it's wide but thin, like a spread hand, but it's really full.

ZeroRay

She's Leaving Home is like several levels better with the new mix.

Liking the punchier drums, but some of the subtleties such as the sitar popping up in Getting Better when Paul sings about beating his woman is way more overt.

Great so far though - still going through the whole thing!

JTripper

Listening to some of the deluxe edition Strawberry Fields Forever outtakes and Ringo's fills leave me shook every time. Same with A Day in the Life. 1967 Ringo blows me away.

Reminds me of when I first heard Take 1 of Hello Goodbye. 3:05 - 3:25 *whew*

Drain You

Man you guys are making me jealous . The Beatles are what got me into music, and I can't wait to listen to the differences and other takes.

I find the mix far too reserved. I was really hoping for a mix that got rid of the stupid bass and drums panning and instead it still sounds like an album from 1967. It's obviously the best stereo version available but it still feels like it's afraid to move away from the mix we already had. I read an interview with Giles where he's basically obsessed with not pissing people off or trying to imply he's fixing the album, which probably explains why it's so tame a remix. I really just want them to totally reinvent the album and give it modern mixing but it's clearly not going to happen. With headphones I still find it annoying.

The extras are fantastic though, that's really what I'm in it for.

Dhx

After all these years still one of the most overrated bands of all time.

Sometimes, popular consensus gets it right. It's OK, man. The Beatles aren't objectionably the greatest, but they sit firmly on Mount Rushmore.

If you have an open mind and any affinity for music theory, try this musical appreciation documentary. Seriously. If you don't, no worries:

The Beatles - a musical appreciation and analysis - by composer, Howard Goodall CBE

And.. now I'm stuck for the next 48 minutes listening to this again. Good times.

A-V-B

Jesus, this remaster has made me appreciate the hell out of Mr. Kite. How is this possible?! The circus cacophony has gone from "annoying aural experiment" to "oddly appealing storm of atmosphere."

Lynd7

I find the mix far too reserved. I was really hoping for a mix that got rid of the stupid bass and drums panning and instead it still sounds like an album from 1967. It's obviously the best stereo version available but it still feels like it's afraid to move away from the mix we already had. I read an interview with Giles where he's basically obsessed with not pissing people off or trying to imply he's fixing the album, which probably explains why it's so tame a remix. I really just want them to totally reinvent the album and give it modern mixing but it's clearly not going to happen. With headphones I still find it annoying.

The extras are fantastic though, that's really what I'm in it for.

Hm disappointing, I too would like them to go full hog and not care about trying to stay completely true to the originals.

Sounds like it'll still be a good listen though.

Hm disappointing, I too would like them to go full hog and not care about trying to stay completely true to the originals.

Sounds like it'll still be a good listen though.

Over speakers mono is still the best, over headphones this doesn't really fix my issues. Most people seem to like it though so maybe you will. I just really hate panning of drums and bass. Drives me crazy.

Lynd7

Over speakers mono is still the best, over headphones this doesn't really fix my issues. Most people seem to like it though so maybe you will. I just really hate panning of drums and bass. Drives me crazy.

Why wouldn't they centre the drums? I thought that was one of the main points... Geez.

Why wouldn't they centre the drums? I thought that was one of the main points... Geez.

In modern day records, the drums and bass are always in the centre. We mixed ‘With a Little Help From My Friends' and put those in the centre and it affected the sound of Ringo's [Starr] voice - he didn’t seem so lonely. I just try to do something new and sometimes it doesn’t suit the song. It may be technically correct in a modern day world but it just makes sense as it is - that’s probably what it was meant to be like. There’s no point stamping ego and character on something for the sake of it. You try and push the envelope with technology as much as you can but also try to pay homage to what they would have done.

I really loved the new version of 1 because a lot of songs lost that kind of nonsense. This feels like it's paying too much reverence to the original stereo mix that everyone claims to hate anyway. Probably cos his dad did it.

Lynd7

I really loved the new version of 1 because a lot of songs lost that kind of nonsense. This feels like it's paying too much reverence to the original stereo mix that everyone claims to hate anyway. Probably cos his dad did it.

His quote doesn't even make sense because his voice didn't have that in the mono mix anyway..

They should have taken the elements for each song and remixed them to modern standards, that would have been more interesting.

Dhx

The 6th Take on this new release is better. No annoying vocals.

I went back and listened to Take 6 and the 2017 mix in succession just to try and understand, but to me, the song just doesn't work anymore. It's always been about the key changes working with the vocals and the journey of the chorus. The last 30 seconds are the culmination, and it's just not the same without the vocal.

Perhaps it's just not your thing. I could understand that. But that's the joy of the Beatles - infinite discussion to be had, and rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom