• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - 50th Anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went back and listened to Take 6 and the 2017 mix in succession just to try and understand, but to me, the song just doesn't work anymore. It's always been about the key changes working with the vocals and the journey of the chorus. The last 30 seconds are the culmination, and it's just not the same without the vocal.

Perhaps it's just not your thing. I could understand that. But that's the joy of the Beatles - infinite discussion to be had, and rightfully so.

I hate the vocals and the orchestration is annoying to me. I find the song quite irritating. I always prefer the more stripped down versions rather than the Martin'd ones. It's why I love Anthology so much

Parch

I was just a kid but my sister would buy every Beatle album day one. I remember sitting with her talking about the cover. We played that album every day for a month.

Xun

I bought the 2x CD edition, but a part of me regrets not buying the Super Deluxe Edition... 🤔

Xun

I bought the 2x CD edition, but a part of me regrets not buying the Super Deluxe Edition... 🤔
It finally arrived today and I must say I'm impressed.

The new stereo mix is fantastic in my opinion.

ghostjoke

Banned
Like the new mixes - so much extra punch - but don't like the stereo implementation on certain tracks.

azmgtvgz7pyw5newomve.jpg

Life is unfair

I'll probably just rip flacs and down mix them

Ricker

I have the LP of this...just before CD's took over or when they became popular,labels started making colored vinyls and I have the marble colored edition of the LP...I wonder if its worth anything worthwhile these days,especialy with the resurgence of vinyls...

Anyway,great album,I like it more then Magical Mystery Tour although theres some classics on that one also,like I am the Walrus.

facelike

A customer brought this into the store the other day. We went and opened it all up checked it all out, great packaging. I was concerned on how the stereo mixes with sound. Some things are better left untouched, there's a chance that this could be the same. We are talking about the Beatles here.

Ricker

My kid thinks Rocky Raccoon is the best song. What a cool band.

Your kid will have good taste in music lol ;).Great song..I'm sure you know this but it's from the White Album,their most underrated(only disc 2 side 2 is average,the rest is awesome)...stuff like Dear Prudence is sublime...anyway sorry for the derail lol.

BumRush

Your kid will have good taste in music lol ;).Great song..I'm sure you know this but it's from the White Album,their most underrated(only disc 2 side 2 is average,the rest is awesome)...stuff like Dear Prudence is sublime...anyway sorry for the derail lol.

The White album is my favorite album of all time by a large margin. Just amazing stuff from front to back

A customer brought this into the store the other day. We went and opened it all up checked it all out, great packaging. I was concerned on how the stereo mixes with sound. Some things are better left untouched, there's a chance that this could be the same. We are talking about the Beatles here.

The original stereo mix is garbage so it's good this exists seeing as 99% of people listen to stereo.

Pepper never really resonated with me like Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road, and The White Album did. I still respected it and its place in rock/pop, but some of the songs would drag for me in contrast to the more heavy hitters.

Now, I've just find out about the whole mono/stereo deal with the album. I've always heard the album in stereo and never knew about the differences between them. I'm about to throw this remix on and blow my mind hopefully. It also makes me curious if I've screwed up by listening to the stereo versions of Rubber Soul and Revolver all these years. Could it be possible that they could be even better?

GTI Guy

Pepper never really resonated with me like Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road, and The White Album did. I still respected it and its place in rock/pop, but some of the songs would drag for me in contrast to the more heavy hitters.

Now, I've just find out about the whole mono/stereo deal with the album. I've always heard the album in stereo and never knew about the differences between them. I'm about to throw this remix on and blow my mind hopefully. It also makes me curious if I've screwed up by listening to the stereo versions of Rubber Soul and Revolver all these years. Could it be possible that they could be even better?

I prefer mono so possibly yes. :)

le-seb

If some people around here also like reggae/dub, they should listen to Easy Star All Stars' cover of this album (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Dub Band), it's pretty good.

I feel the same way. The problem is the songs are pretty weak aside from a few obvious ones. Clever songwriting and catchy melodies are gone on this album, which is what makes The Beatles great. I'm pretty sure either Paul or Ringo said it was just a drug album. I personally think the reason it's held in such high regard is because a bunch of people/critics dropped acid and listened to it. Since the production was so unbelievably advanced and there was nothing else like it, Pepper got the "greatest album ever" treatment.

So yeah, you probably still won't like it. I've been trying unsuccessfully for 20 years now. That's fine though, to each their own.

Sorcerer

I feel the same way. The problem is the songs are pretty weak aside from a few obvious ones. Clever songwriting and catchy melodies are gone on this album, which is what makes The Beatles great. I'm pretty sure either Paul or Ringo said it was just a drug album. I personally think the reason it's held in such high regard is because a bunch of people/critics dropped acid and listened to it. Since the production was so unbelievably advanced and there was nothing else like it, Pepper got the "greatest album ever" treatment.

So yeah, you probably still won't like it. I've been trying unsuccessfully for 20 years now. That's fine though, to each their own.

Paul would never criticize his baby. Ringo said he had nothing to do most of time. John was rather harsh on the album when he looked back on it.

mhanna49

Neo Member
My brief impressions: the new stereo mix is a big improvement over the original stereo mix. I think that the original stereo mix, like other Beatles stereo mixes, just sound wrong or unnatural with the hard panning of vocals and instruments. The only disappointment to me is the loud mastering. I also would have rather had the Sgt. Pepper mono mix on the second disk than the outtakes. CDs can hold enough audio that they could have included bonus tracks if that were the case as well.

1987 CD: best mastering of the original stereo mix
2009 CD: same as 1987 but mastered louder
2017 CD: good remix but mastered a bit too loudly

I don't have the mono CD from 2009 to compare to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom