• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Bee That Broke Skyrim

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Skyrim's intro is iconic, but the classic opening-turned-meme almost didn't happen due to a bug in the game--to be more specific, a bee.

Skyrim's opening cart scene has become iconic since the game's release ten years ago, but it nearly didn't happen due to a bug that derailed the whole thing… quite literally.

In this video, Kurt Indovina chats with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim senior world artist Nate Purkeypile about the bee that broke the game's classic intro. In the decade since its release, Skyrim's opening has become synonymous with the meme which spawned "Hey you, you're finally awake.'' For a lot of players, seeing the intro means a new journey through Northern Tamriel awaits, but for Purkeypile, seeing the intro again is a bit of a touchy subject.

Purkeypile breaks down the story of the mysterious bug that plagued the game's opening cart scene, and the many layers it took to unravel to find the bug and fix it. With Purkeypile, Kurt helps carry the story along, while regaling his own passion for Bethesda's epic fantasy RPG.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Anniversary Edition comes out on November 11 for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, with next-gen upgrades for the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Honey Bee Oprah GIF by Team Coco

GymWolf

Hopefully Microsoft betatesting is gonna be far better so we are gonna stop celebrating games (that we buy full price) for their historic bugs :lollipop_squinting:

makaveli60

Amazing. Strangely if I didn’t read the forums I would never know that TES games are considered one of the buggiest, despite having played a ton of Oblivion and Skyrim on the 360. Actually there is nothing I can remember about encountering bugs.

BigBooper

Amazing. Strangely if I didn’t read the forums I would never know that TES games are considered one of the buggiest, despite having played a ton of Oblivion and Skyrim on the 360. Actually there is nothing I can remember about encountering bugs.
If you'd played them on the PS3, you'd know. I think 360 had some too, but on PS3, after you got to level 25 or so the save file just kept growing bigger and bigger and the game would crash frequently.

Exoil

That cart ride is amazing. It made the frame rate go haywire during the PS3 days, during the Special Edition days on PS4 and Pro and also after the 60fps patch for PS5.

Oh, the PSVR version couldn't handle the cart ride either.

Top Bottom