• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best FromSoftware bosses, as picked by PlayStation Studio devs

Fbh

Yeah, Ludwig's boss music just screams "epic".

Yeah, it's my favorite music from all FROM games.

And as I mentioned in another thread the other day, my only nitpick with Isshin is that the music is just ok. It's fine, it fits the fight and it sets the mood....but it's not memorable.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, it's my favorite music from all FROM games.

And as I mentioned in another thread the other day, my only nitpick with Isshin is that the music is just ok. It's fine, it fits the fight and it sets the mood....but it's not memorable.
I 100% agree, Sekiro might have my favourite combat in all FROM games but when it comes to OST Bloodborne wins hands down. When Ludwig's second phase starts the music just gives you goosebumps.
goosebumps-voyagers.gif

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
its a mini boss and is not better, and for that matter Shinobi Hunter Enshin of Misen was first. 🤷‍♂️
well yes? Enshin of Misen IS a boss, he fucks up people GOOD

yurinka

PS Studios x From Software? What are you hinting here, Jimbo?

Acquisition or Bloodborne 2 announcement coming soon?

Or are you with him in the showers and you just thrown your soap bar to the floor to see if he grabs it?

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
PS Studios x From Software? What are you hinting here, Jimbo? Acquisition or Bloodborne 2 announcement coming soon?
announcing the Bloodborne remaster/remake/2? at the height of Elden Ring post-release frenzy would be THE MOVE , if this project is real no wonder they're waiting.

yurinka

announcing the Bloodborne remaster/remake/2? at the height of Elden Ring post-release frenzy would be THE MOVE , if this project is real no wonder they're waiting.
They have been busy with Elder Ring, I assume they weren't able to work on Bloodbone 2 at the same time.

But I can see a Bloodbone refurbished for PS5 & PC being announced just after the Elder Ring release, maybe with some extra content made by Bluepoint and overviewed by FromSoft.

Last edited:

skit_data

It really feels like they’re warming up to unveil they’re acquiring From Software. Idk, maybe it’s just seeing stuff that isn’t really there. It would be the biggest get ever in my book, but I know it’s probably too good to be true.

Yoboman

I believe Bloodborne was announced shortly after Dark Souls 2

In fact most their games are announced fairly shortly after the last games release, so I wouldn't be shocked to see whatever they are doing next announced this year

Bartski

Gold Member
I believe Bloodborne was announced shortly after Dark Souls 2

In fact most their games are announced fairly shortly after the last games release, so I wouldn't be shocked to see whatever they are doing next announced this year
That would be the Armor Core game.

Dream-Knife

Banned
PS Studios x From Software? What are you hinting here, Jimbo?

Acquisition or Bloodborne 2 announcement coming soon?

Or are you with him in the showers and you just thrown your soap bar to the floor to see if he grabs it?
They're hyping up Elden Ring. Hopefully.

Ahead of Elden Ring, Santa Monica Studio, Insomniac Games, Naughty Dog and more reflect on their most memorable enemy encounters.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Old Monk is the most surprising, mechanically shocking and chanllenging (not all times lol).

Sadly it only works online.

Tschumi

I haven't faced all of them yet. Not by a long shot. I've been playing other genres much more often, though recently I've got back into it via sekiro and demons souls remake in anticipation of elden ring. I think my favourite so far might have been... Well let's see.. Phalanx is too easy, the tower knight was pretty great but simple, the asylum demon in dark souls was fun but easy... The drunk dude in sekiro was fun but a lot easier when i realised you could thin out his adds entirely... Lady butterfly was damn difficult and i was psyched to beat her, the chained norseman ogre was pretty great for his awesome animations.. also freaky as a first big boss... the shinobi hunter was easy and i didn't even know how to do mikiri counter when I faced him.. the general by the gate was really easy compared to lady butterfly, so not as special... The fiery bull pretty cool but just a miniboss.. uhh the ashina elite was fucking badass but easy to beat.. genchiro was easier than lady butterfly, maybe because of lady butterfly, easy to dodge his second phase special attack... That's it for me so far, I've got plenty of soulsborn-like bosses that i remember fondly, kena's woodsmith on top of the tower, the wood knight was way harder than other early bosses... the dark jedi boss on kasshyk..

I think for me it's either the white ogre with his amazingly animated body slams and awesome introductory stocks-breaking, or lady butterfly for her iconic "you're dead" line - まだまだ子犬よ!- and challenging variety of attack types, and homing adds that make it all harder.

Some understandable choices there. I have fond memories of most of them and their fights. Some of my personal favorites include a bunch mentioned here but also a few that aren't, such as Genichiro, SSI, OoK and Friede.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Lady Maria Bloodborne. I was NG+ and spec in arcane so it wasnt too hard. Parrying her with a squid arm and ghost dashing right in her grill was amazing. The battle had final fantasy levels of back and forth.
Christ, I was worried we will go on Page 2 without Lady Maria. Thank you for saving the day balls of snow balls of snow . Others are too busy with degenerate parasitic Lovecraft stuff or animu shit.

Green_Eyes

How in all living fucks is Lady Butterfly there? Quite literally the worst boss in ANY From Soft game out there.

Absolutely fucking awful list solely for that.

You must've got your ass handed to you pretty bad. She's one of the coolest bosses ever.

Man, Sekiro is a real good litmus test for the bitch-assed.

Pejo

For me, it's the OG Flamelurker. I had never, despite years of video game experience, fought a boss that was so hyper aggressive and seemingly impossible to beat. Keep in mind, souls games were totally new at the time, so nobody knew about the cheese methods, and nobody was used to the souls boss formula and the gameplay mechanics. There wasn't much info at all.

He was just absolutely relentless in a way I never experienced up until that point. I remember fighting him about 20 times, then looking online at the meager resources of the time to find anything with flame resistance to give myself an edge. Ended up beating him with the Purple Flame shield and a spear.

By the end of the fight when I won, I was both physically and mentally exhausted. I think I took a 3 day break from the game after that just because.

Melchiah

I like father Gascogne

Same, plus Blood-starving Beast. Both truly a test of learned skills, particularly parrying, which makes them considerably easier. Also, the final Chalice dungeon boss, Yharnam, Blood Queen of the Old Labyrinth.

What I dislike the most are the mob bosses, like Rom. It was a pain in the ass to deal with her in the cramped dungeon space.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The good news is, if this is setting up Sony purchasing them we know the games would come to PC day one becuase there is literally millions of From fans that stream those games day in and out on PC. There’s no way Sony would rock that boat, so I think this would be a good get for them.

back on topic.

Artorias, legendary.

daughter of cosmos and orphan of Kos for his crazy baby crying man moans.

Isshin, and ape boy. Basically all of sekiro is just the pinnacle.

absolutely amazing games and the echelon of gaming. Nothing comes close to Froms best areas and bosses for creating memories.

DavidGzz

Activision makes sense for MS with the multiplayer focus. Capcom and From Software would make sense for Sony with their focus on single-player. Let's see how it all plays out.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Capcom and From Software would make sense for Sony with their focus on single-player. Let's see how it all plays out.
I will never say never because nothing is impossible but I highly doubt Sony will buy those two studios and honestly speaking I dont want them to. I like the fact both Capcom and FROM make games for multiple systems.

DavidGzz

I will never say never because nothing is impossible but I highly doubt Sony will buy those two studios and honestly speaking I dont want them to. I like the fact both Capcom and FROM make games for multiple systems.

Me too, especially if that means they will also delay the games for PC. Just speculating.

Fools idol

Banned
you can probably take a wild guess which one is my personal fave.

I think overall Dark Souls 3 and DLC has the best bosses of all, closely followed by Demons Souls (original).

Mr Hyde

My personal favorites.

Flamelurker
Man-eater
Maiden Astraea
Artorias
Manus
Executioner Chariot
Sir Alonne
Burnt Ivory King
Sinh
Father Gascoigne
Lady Maria
Orphan of Kos
Gerhman
Vicar Amelia
Twin Princes
Slave Knight Gael
Darkeater Midir
Pontiff Sulyvaahn
Aldrich
Corrupted Monk
Isshin Sword Saint
Genichiro
Guardian Ape
Owl

I love almost all bosses in Soulsborne and Sekiro. Even the gimmicky ones but these are my absolute favorites. I especially love bosses that test your skills. From Software are the undisputed champions when it comes to designing bosses. Can't wait to see what Elden Ring has in store for me.

Top Bottom