• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Best GAMES Ever Made (Help me to list)

DO NOT EXISTS ONE BEST GAME EVER.

yPDrHlL.jpg

Some games could have become a game-changer. But its impact was not enough to create trends and actually create a new genre, a good example is alone in the dark, but Resident evil came with something much more striking that changed the horror genre.

These kind of games for me are the best games ever created, because they create genres and sub-genres, or aggressively they are fantastic memorable games, not necessarily needing to be a new genre, but creating something great based on an already made genre.

Examples (not in order);

-Tetris

-Pacman

-Super Mario Bros

-Pong

-Castlevania

-Luxor

-Age of Empires 2

-Sim City

-Clock Tower

-God of War

-Zelda

-Metroid

-Sonic (fast paced mario)

-Chrono Trigger (another lvl jrpg)

-Final Fight

-Street Fighter 2

-Doom

-Streets of Rage 2 (not the "average joe" clone of final fight)

-Myst

-Full Throttle (and lucas arts point and click)

-Splatterhouse (first ever horror b based game)

-Mortal Kombat (created age restriction for games)

-Virtua Fighter

-Tekken 3

-Gundam Endless duel (gameplay waaay ahead of its time)

-Killer Instinct

-Resident evil

-Silent Hill (psychological horror)

-Silent Hill 2 (changed even the cinemas)

-Half Life 2

-Resident Evil 4 (over the shoulder
aim)

-Megaman

-Devil May Cry (Redefined action games to another level)

-Dark Souls

-Twisted Metal

-Dynasty Warriors

-Sengoku Basara (Dynasty Warriors on crack)

-Soul Calibur

-Super Mario 64

-Minecraft

-Metal Gear Solid (ps1)

-Guilty Gear and Advanced VG2 (start of anime fighting games with crazy combos)

-Top Gear

-The need for Speed/Underground

-Aero Fighters

-The King of Fighters

-Gta 3

-Ultima Online

-Portal

-Wipeout

-Lemmings

-Shinobi

-Tenchu

-DDR

-Guitar Hero

-Secret of Monkey Isnland

-Dragons Lair

-Shenmue

-Pokemon (gbc)

-Tomb Raider

-Goldeneye (n64)

-Warcraft

-Metalslug

-Mario Kart

-Counter Strike

-Max Payne

-Super Meatboy

-Cuphead (influential, lots of old cartoon themed games now)

-Destruction Derby

-Burnout 3

-Viewtiful Joe

-Panzer Dragoon

-Snake

-Gunstar Heroes

-Ico

-Phantasy Star Online

-The Sims

-Final Fantasy Tactics

-Scribblenauts (ds)

-Mad Dog MacCree

-F-zero

-Startfox

-Killer 7

-Diablo 2

-Deus Ex

-OutRun

-Space Invaders

-Call of Duty 4

-Samurai Shodown

-Fortnite (yeah...can't deny lol)

-Wonder boy

-Actraiser

-Carmageddon

-Marvel vs Capcom (not because 3x3, but for the crossover later become a tendency)

-Command & Conquer

-The Last of Us 2 (No gameplay or innovation existed, its here because was the first game with no shame to show "Agenda flags" that inspired so many games later, unfortunately. Come at me)

-Pitfall

-Postal

-Street Fighter 3 Third Strike (another level of fg footsies, parry already existed...)

-Power Stone

-Left 4 Dead

-Zelda Ocarina of Time

-Phoenix Wright

-The Elder Scrolls

-Puzzle Bubble

-Indigo Prophecy

-Harvest Moon

-Braid (maybe the start of the so called "ART indie games?"

-Final Fantasy VI

ETC ETC ETC...

Feel at home to complete this list, since what we see out there today are just games inspired by these dividers and creators of genres and sub genres.

--> What games i should post ?

Please don't just think about what you like, think about games that are trending, inspired tons of developers until today, redefined games formulas, or maybe even created genres and sub-genres!

If you post nonsense i will get your attention lol.
And sorry, english isn't my first language!

PS: I'll do another thread soon with revolutionary games that people overlooked or stay in the undergroung shadows. I wont put those here because majority of people haven't played them, so let's start by the surface, but realistic list.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Things I would add to that ist.. a lot I wud takeout. Things I dont even believe arent mentioned...

WipeOut Fury
Vagrant Story
Armored Core
F-Zero
ZOE2
Flashback
Goldeneye
lemnings
Ninja Gaiden(Xbox)
Shinobi
Contra 3
Gran Turismo
Halo
Ace Combat
The Last of Us
........etc

I could actually go on... but just added a few stuff that I can't believe you didn't add.

NiGHTS into Dreams...
Shenmue
Virtua Fighter 2
SEGA Rally
Panzer Dragoon Saga

I may be seeing a theme here.
*looks at your avatar*

Nope... looks like a very well-rounded selection to me.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to collect all these titles, slap the system they released on onto them in an excel sheet together with the release year and have a look at the result. Pretty sure it'd shut up all the peeps claiming "games are better today than they've ever been".

Chastten

Banned
Would be interesting to collect all these titles, slap the system they released on onto them in an excel sheet together with the release year and have a look at the result. Pretty sure it'd shut up all the peeps claiming "games are better today than they've ever been".
Well, I'd personally always wait a few years before putting a new game to my list to see if the love persists. Percentage wise that would automatically mean more older titles in the list. As an example, I only recently played Ori 2 a few months back, and while I think that game is incredibly good, I wouldn't put it in my top 10/30/100 list just yet. If I still think the same about it in a few years (instead of completely forgotten about it, like 90% of all games) it will have earned its spot.

Anyways, games I would add that I didn't see yet:

Either Pokémon Red/Blue, or HeartGold/SoulSilver
Vanilla World of Warcraft
Rollercoaster Tycoon

All three introduced an entire generation of gamers to their specific genres

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin is the best game ever made.
Dark Souls 2 is no joke, the best souls. Amazing game... just that I think I prefer vanilla version over scholar but fine.
I still love all of souls for different reasons. I just really love the atmosphere of DS2. It's about people forgetting who they are. Fathers forgetting daughters, kings forgetting their power and so on. Good stuff. And the world variety, gear and playstyles. So good

some random games that influenced whole industry:
Penumbra. It created amnesia horror style game
Gears of war. Cover shooting of course
Souls. souls.

Last edited:
GTA, myst, Shenmue, Daytona Usa...I can't remember all! And thx guys!

Keep posting, when we got lots of tittle that fits on the purpose of the thread, i will update on the first post!

Keep postiiiinnggg!!n. :D

Spaceman292

Banned
DO NOT EXISTS ONE BEST GAME EVER.

yPDrHlL.jpg

Some games could have become a game-changer. But its impact was not enough to create trends and actually create a new genre, a good example is alone in the dark, but Resident evil came with something much more striking that changed the horror genre.

These kind of games for me are the best games ever created, because they create genres and sub-genres, or aggressively they are fantastic memorable games, not necessarily needing to be a new genre, but creating something great based on an already made genre.

Examples (not in order);

-Tetris
-Pacman
-Super Mario Bros
-Pong
-Luxor
-Age of Empires
-Sim City
-Clock Tower
-God of War
-Zelda
-Metroid
-Sonic (fast paced mario)
-Chrono Trigger (another lvl jrpg)
-Final Fight
-Street Fighter 2
-Doom
-Streers of Rage (not the "average joe" clone of final fight)
-Full Throttle (and lucas arts point and click)
-Splatterhouse (first ever horror b based game)
-Mortal Kombat (created age restriction for games)
-Virtua Fighter
-Tekken
-Gundam Endless dual (gameplay waaay ahead of its time)
-Killer Instinct
-Resident evil
-Silent Hill (psychological horror)
-Silent Hill 2 (changed even the cinemas)
-Half Life
-Resident Evil 4 (over the shoulder aim)
-Megaman
-Devil May Cry (action to another level)
-Dark Souls
-Twisted Metal
-Dynasty Warriors
-Sengoku Basara (Dynasty Warriors on crack)
-Soul Calibur
-Super Mario 64
-Minecraft
-Metal Gear Solid (ps1)
-Guilty Gear and Advanced VG2 (start of anime fighting games with crazy combos)
-Top Gear
-The need for Speed
-Aero Fighters
-The King of Fighters

ETC ETC ETC...

Feel at home to complete this list, since what we see out there today are just games inspired by these dividers and creators of genres and sub genres.

Please don't just think about what you like, think about games that are trending, inspired tons of developers until today!

If you post nonsense i will get your attention lol.
And sorry, english isn't my first language!

PS: I'll do another thread soon with revolutionary games that people overlooked or stay in the undergroung shadows. I wont put those here because majority of people haven't played them, so let's start by the surface, but realistic list.
The sequels of almost all those games are better than these

Imagine not putting E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial on Atari. This whole list is useless.
If was some controversial list for sure, but ET did nothing innovative or memorable in term of game.

Hummm...Maybe inspired developers to make horrible games ? Lol

Dark Souls 2 is no joke, the best souls. Amazing game... just that I think I prefer vanilla version over scholar but fine.
I still love all of souls for different reasons. I just really love the atmosphere of DS2. It's about people forgetting who they are. Fathers forgetting daughters, kings forgetting their power and so on. Good stuff. And the world variety, gear and playstyles. So good

some random games that influenced whole industry:
Penumbra. It created amnesia horror style game
Gears of war. Cover shooting of course
Souls. souls.
Cover shooting was already had. Gears was clearly influenced by RE4. Penumbra and Amnesia are good calls...They kind created the walking simulator horror...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Cover shooting was already had. Gears was clearly influenced by RE4. Penumbra and Amnesia are good calls...They kind created the walking simulator horror...
I know killswitch already had cover shooting but only after Gears, EVERY game had it.
RE4 is responsible for 3rd person ots camera

Things I would add to that ist.. a lot I wud takeout. Things I dont even believe arent mentioned...

WipeOut Fury
Vagrant Story
Armored Core
F-Zero
ZOE2
Flashback
Goldeneye
lemnings
Ninja Gaiden(Xbox)
Shinobi
Contra 3
Gran Turismo
Halo
Ace Combat
The Last of Us
........etc

I could actually go on... but just added a few stuff that I can't believe you didn't add.

*looks at your avatar*

Nope... looks like a very well-rounded selection to me.

Ninja Gaiden was influenced by dmc, but indeed turned its on thing. Some of those tittles was overshadowed by others.

Did u get this thread ? U think my mind is a cpu ? I needed a month to put all games, that's why the tittle says (HELP ME). EVERY person had played different games, that why makes this thread interesting.

But we need to take the favorite games chip out of our heads.

The majority of the games i posted, I don't like them, but i can't deny it's importance.

Last edited:
I know killswitch already had cover shooting but only after Gears, EVERY game had it.
RE4 is responsible for 3rd person ots camera
U confirmed to me Gears did nothing, maybe a tendency yes.
I will add, u have a valid point, but for me its a no...

Yerd

Portal
Dead Space is my favorite horror game and if you don't think it should be there because, even though it's better than RE, RE was there first. Dead Space created the no HUD thing, or if they didn't they made it worthy of copy
Tomb Raider
Diablo
Kings Quest
Baldur's Gate
Descent
Tribes
Another World
Duke Nukem 3D
World of Warcraft
Madden
pretty much all of the EA sports games they have a monopoly on. I don't play any of them, but they are what people play.

I'm sure a text based game should be there. But I only played two of them in my lifetime and I don't think they were ever considered great ones.

Edit : Changed another world I called it Out of this world, completely wrong title.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

The Last of Us
The Last of Us 2
Mass Effect 2
God of War Ragnarok
Persona 5 Royal
Breath of the Wild
Metroid Prime
Diablo 2
Diablo 3
Skyrim
Witcher 3
Elden Ring
Bloodborne

Portal
Dead Space is my favorite horror game and if you don't think it should be there because, even though it's better than RE, RE was there first. Dead Space created the no HUD thing, or if they didn't they made it worthy of copy
Tomb Raider
Diablo
Kings Quest
Baldur's Gate
Descent
Tribes
Out of This World
Duke Nukem 3D
World of Warcraft
Madden
pretty much all of the EA sports games they have a monopoly on. I don't play any of them, but they are what people play.

I'm sure a text based game should be there. But I only played two of them in my lifetime and I don't think they were ever considered great ones.
GREAT post, great calls! Duke Nukem...Yeah, maybe inspired some humorous fps like Shadow Warrior and Serious sam.

casnix

Portal was THAT influential? We had many developers influenced by this game ?

All the rest...no, they are already on the list. Dark Souls and Super Mario alone represents.
Portal is easily one of the best games ever made, yes. And the others are on the list because their predecessors are up there? Why'd you list Silent Hill twice then?

Yerd

Portal is easily one of the best games ever made, yes. And the others are on the list because their predecessors are up there? Why'd you list Silent Hill twice then?
Yes Portal. Portal 2 is better, but the portal name goes on best games ever made list.

Because both had a tremendous impact.
Portal is unique i agree, clever game. But i ask you, was inspired other developers to do the same ?

Because i saw people try psychological horror games (sh1) and some try to do Silent Hill 2 subjective and deep story until today.

Sorry mods for post so much.

Yeah Portal will be included.

And keep posting and later i will update the first page list.
I won't argue every post anymore!

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Xenogears
Sin and Punishment
Dolphin Blue
Final Fight CD
Tactics Ogre LUCT
Final Fantasy Tactics
Mega Man III
Wachenroder
Nuclear Strike