• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best looking games this gen.... won't be 60fps

T0minator

I don't see this current generation being any different than the most graphically impressive and demanding games from the previous consoles:

RDR 2
The Last of Us Part 2
Batman: Arkham Knight
Uncharted 4
Horizon: Zero Dawn

Just to name a few, all run at 30fps normally because they pushed their hardware.

This generation,so far, we're getting great 60fps or more with 4k ...but in about 3 years can we expect 30fps to rear it's head and make a come back with super high detailed character models, incredible lighting and effects. I guess that's when the Pro and the Series X-treme will release.

Will this generations best looking games... the truly next gen games... be 30fps just like every other generation?

Last edited:

reksveks

If you want better graphic fidelity per frame, you can choose one of the following:
- decrease the fps (gives you twice as much time per frame)
- decrease the native resolution
- have a smaller world size or at least have an increased production budget per square mile.

This isn't that new.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Who cares? Being a "best looking game" is temporary title and noone will care about it few months later because more impressive will come.

But gameplay is a king a gameplay is better at 60.

I don't care if devs want to showcase technical side of their games, but today is unexcusable to have a game without 60FPS mode. Maybe for slow pacing game like The Medium but that's only exception.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
current gen consoles were more powerful compare to last gen.
I believe we would get 60fps mode with some RT, at least from First party studio.

It depends on how you look at it. Personally, the fluidity in motion that 60fps+ offers looks significantly better than a higher resolution with post processing effects at a lower fps. Other people sees things differently.

Running things at 60+fps also pushes the hardware, harder than a higher resolution does, which is why devs opt for 30fps. If pushing the hardware wasn't a factor and it was simply a case of the game looking the same but being 30fps or 60fps, I would think that an overwhelming majority would prefer the 60fps. It just looks, and more importantly, feels better.

I don't see this current generation being any different than the most graphically impressive and demanding games from the previous consoles:

RDR 2
The Last of Us Part 2
Batman: Arkham Knight
Uncharted 4
Horizon: Zero Dawn

Just to name a few, all run at 30fps normally because they pushed their hardware.

Those games ran at 30fps because the CPUs inside last gen consoles were horrible underpowered to push higher frames. Only option was to lock the frames to 30.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
What a load of bullshit in one sentence.

main-qimg-173eeea9db3895dc2dbe2a7630e0e80b

Kupfer

I simply won't buy games which don't offer a 60fps mode no more.
I played my pile of shames' A Plague Tale before the patch on my PS5 and going back to 30fps was a pain.

Last edited:

vkbest

I simply won't buy games which don't offer a 60fps mode no more.
I played my pile of shames' A Plague Tale before the patch on my PS5 and going back to 30fps was a pain.

I will play some game at 30fps, but will be the lowest priority on my list

TonyK

Actual best looking games in PS5 are 30fps yet.
60fps version of Spiderman, Demons Souls or Ratchet are PS4 games but at 60fps.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Every year games become better looking.

You may not see it when you're in the thick of it, and there are always outliers that surpass expectations or disappoint, but it's been true every year since gaming began and will continue.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I think people are growing accostumed to the 60fps and I'm not sure are willing to go back to 30fps as standard on the long run.

ZywyPL

Banned
Absolutely. 30FPS + 1080p w/ upsclaing is where all the late-gen saving will be made in order to push the visuals to the maximum, I have no doubt about it, mainly because of how heavy RT is and how weak current AMD implementation in that regards is.

so higher FPS automatically increases resolution, texture details, lightning etc.?

hat a load of bullshit in one sentence.

High FPS greatly increases the image clarity in motion, you know, when actually playing the games, not taking static screenshots to brag about them on internet forums. Just disabling motion blur alone also does that to a great extent. And FPS directly correlates with animations, which again, have a lot to do with how the games look, while actually playing them.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Absolutely. 30FPS + 1080p w/ upsclaing is where all the late-gen saving will be made in order to push the visuals to the maximum, I have no doubt about it, mainly because of how heavy RT is and how weak current AMD implementation in that regards is.

High FPS greatly increases the image clarity in motion, you know, when actually playing the games, not taking static screenshots to brag about them on internet forums. Just disabling motion blur alone also does that to a great extent. And FPS directly correlates with animations, which again, have a lot to do with how the games look, while actually playing them.

A lot of people have been trained for a decade to "like" 30 fps. Give them some time to join us in sanity.

Hunnybun

Actual best looking games in PS5 are 30fps yet.
60fps version of Spiderman, Demons Souls or Ratchet are PS4 games but at 60fps.

They all look virtually identical apart from the resolution.

Actually, Ratchet looks identical even in its resolution - there you just miss the mostly pointless RT reflections.

Darius87

i don't see any difference in visual quality even at double FPS while it's clearly smoother.
p.s animations has nothing to do with visuals.

Allandor

Framerate is actually part of what makes a game look good.
Yes but in these gaming-forums we still compare screenshots ;)

i don't see any difference in visual quality even at double FPS while it's clearly smoother.
p.s animations has nothing to do with visuals.

This is also still up to your TV/Monitor. If it can't keep up and blurs you won't see a clearer image in motion. Also this comparison does not make sense with youtube-compression ;)
Another benefit is TAA (or any temporal solution). More FPS means less motion between frames which make the AA better. But yes, you can still get much better image quality by using 33ms instead of 16ms for rendering.

Last edited:

Rippa

To answer the OP’s question….

YES.

I’m a graphics whore so give me all the tiny sharp details, particle effects and ray tracing in the highest resolution possible. All the bells and whistles.

We all know we can’t have all those things running higher than 30fps on these $500 machines.

Unless you want to spend $THOUSANDS$ on a PC……..

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Hopefully there are no games that don't offer 60fps as an option. I'd like to think we'd be able to scale back resolution / graphic settings to hit 60fps on any game moving forward.

No doubt the best looking games will be in either 30fps mode or exclusively 30fps, but performance is more important to me. My tolerance levels for 30fps is low... the game looks broken from my perspective. Beautiful graphics mean nothing to me if the game doesn't look like it's running correctly.

Great for people who can tolerate 30fps. I'd be interested to see if more developers use 40fps like Insomniac did with Ratchet and Clank.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
To answer the OP’s question….

YES.

I’m a graphics whore so give me all the tiny sharp details, particle effects and ray tracing in the highest resolution possible. All the bells and whistles.

We all know we can’t have all those things running higher than 30fps on these $500 machines.

Unless you want to spend $THOUSANDS$ on a PC……..

It doesn't surprise me a 30fps fan uses eye bleeding green text.

Ellery

We don't know what Naughty Dog is doing (yet). Could easily be 1440p 60fps or 4K 30fps with slight raytracing as an option.

Darius87

animation is a detail but in time rather than space (time is a dimention) everything will look and feel better at higher frame-rate
animation is motion has nothing to do with detail of a animated object, our definition of visuals might be different i consider terms like "looks", "visuals", "details" an actual change increase/decrease of fidelity of an object/scenery in motion or not.

Reizo Ryuu

Last gen consoles had absolute shit cpus, of course those games listed "pushed" the hardware.
With current gen cpus, just lowering the resolution to keep the framerate high, is a valid option.

Top Bottom