• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best looking games this gen.... won't be 60fps

Yes the picture does indeed look clearer.

Play a game and move and pan the camera around. The image of a game at 60fps looks clearer because you're not seeing that judder that plagues games at lower resolutions. Try it in games that support both 60fps and 30fps. Going back and forth is pretty drastic.

You can argue that when not a in motion there's no difference. Fair enough. But these aren't still pictures we're playing.
Actually, using your experiment with moving the camera and seeing how much clearer it is... for me, I actually see how much easier it is to notice how low the resolution is. However, playing a high resolution game at 30fps only takes me a few minutes to get used to and it stays looking high res whereas the low res 60fps version never looks any sharper for the entire game.

T0minator

The games I skip will be 30fps...

Motion(for visuals)and reduced input lag is part of the experience.
I would love for every next gen game to be 60fps..but that would mean graphics quality won't expand and increase over time. Once devs use every trick in the book to push these consoles with details we have yet to see. The frame rates will suffer and locked at 30...happens every generation

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
BkpNSBn.png

Pidull

I'll go one further and say that the best looking games will be variable resolution at 30 FPS, dipping as low as 900p, with some high-quality AA in place.

Pull n Pray

Banned

i don't see any difference in visual quality even at double FPS while it's clearly smoother.
p.s animations has nothing to do with visuals.

Did you use your vision or your hearing to determine that 60 fps is smoother than 30 fps?

visual: of or relating to seeing or sight:

Damigos

I don't see this current generation being any different than the most graphically impressive and demanding games from the previous consoles:

RDR 2
The Last of Us Part 2
Batman: Arkham Knight
Uncharted 4
Horizon: Zero Dawn

Just to name a few, all run at 30fps normally because they pushed their hardware.

This generation,so far, we're getting great 60fps or more with 4k ...but in about 3 years can we expect 30fps to rear it's head and make a come back with super high detailed character models, incredible lighting and effects. I guess that's when the Pro and the Series X-treme will release.

Will this generations best looking games... the truly next gen games... be 30fps just like every other generation?

The difference is that previouss gen STARTED with games being at 30 fps, while current gen started at 60 fps.

Personally i am never choosing a 30 fps option if i have a choice for 60. Since we saw games like AC Valhalla have the 60 fps option i hope we are never getting back to only 30

T0minator

The difference is that previouss gen STARTED with games being at 30 fps, while current gen started at 60 fps.

Personally i am never choosing a 30 fps option if i have a choice for 60. Since we saw games like AC Valhalla have the 60 fps option i hope we are never getting back to only 30
Believe me if we could boycott 30fps from gaming and banish it forever I would. But there's more remakes and remastered of last gen compared to the previous gens... This gen is just using old assets and pumping up the frames so far

Pidull

You are really overestimating the importance of ray tracing.
Am I?

Miles Morales defaults to Fidelity mode, and Sony tracks all that data now. I doubt the masses care as much. I prefer 60 FPS and will take that over 4k every time, but my opinions never seem to line up with most of gamers.

T0minator

Am I?

Miles Morales defaults to Fidelity mode, and Sony tracks all that data now. I doubt the masses care as much. I prefer 60 FPS and will take that over 4k every time, but my opinions never seem to line up with most of gamers.
Most people don't calibrate their TVs correctly...they run on whatever Bruce games default to, if it's 30 they'll accept it. That's the majority.

60FPS just looks much better when you're actually playing any game at full speed. Sure, in screenshots it won't, but when you're playing? No, 30FPS just won't look as good to the eye. Speed beats detail in this case

Banned
Believe me if we could boycott 30fps from gaming and banish it forever I would. But there's more remakes and remastered of last gen compared to the previous gens... This gen is just using old assets and pumping up the frames so far

even remasters of 360 games ran at 30fps on last gen.
Assassin's Creed 2, 30fps,
Far Cry 3, 30fps
Batman Arkham Asylum... fucked up 40fps or something 🤣

you literally can not compare this. this is not even remotely like last gen and it has nothing to do with crossgen or remasters as they also didn't boost framerates last gen. cross gen games like Assassin's Creed 4 still ran at 30fps on all systems.

this is the first generation in ages where almost everything is 60fps. 30fps is the weird uncommon outlier and that has never been the case in recent history, not on PS360 nor on PS4/One, not even with cross gen games often not even with remasters

Last edited:

T0minator

even remasters of 360 games ran at 30fps on last gen.
Assassin's Creed 2, 30fps,
Far Cry 3, 30fps
Batman Arkham Asylum... fucked up 40fps or something 🤣

you literally can not compare this. this is not even remotely like last gen and it has nothing to do with crossgen or remasters as they also didn't boost framerates last gen. cross gen games like Assassin's Creed 4 still ran at 30fps on all systems.

this is the first generation in ages where almost everything is 60fps. 30fps is the weird uncommon outlier and that has never been the case in recent history, not on PS360 nor on PS4/One, not even with cross gen games often not even with remasters
The perfect example of previous gens doing what I'm saying is MGS2 running at 60fps and it's sequel MSG3 running at 30 because it pushed bigger environments animations and effects. There's probably clever ways to get it up to 60fps but things would have to be cut and not look as detailed. 30fps will always show more details and effects. I just wish 60fps didn't sacrifice the details and effects

martino

i think they will i don't see AAA and their $$$ mainstream formula challenge those cpu that much more than when cpu were jaguar
Also now we are targeting 1440p or more with higher grade of draw distance and other effect directly with the base hardware
it gives more room for a 60fps scaling all this back at lower resolution.
i see no reason for a 60fps option to not be there unless the game do something really special and again i don't see any AAA be that kind of game

Last edited:

Paradicia

Playing at 30 FPS is like watching a movie with loads of shaky cam effects. When you notice it, you can never not stop noticing it. I've played at 60 FPS (and beyond) since I got a gaming laptop, and I dropping back down to 30 FPS, would be like swimming in a lake of mud.

Last edited:
Top Bottom