• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Book of Boba Fett |OT| Sarlaac Spit-Up

Ammogeddon

Soon as I saw him in the distance I knew it was Cad Bane. Wasn’t expecting him at all. Awesome. They better not squander him by killing him off in this series. That would be a total waste.

Really impressed with the cgi work on Luke, they’ve almost nailed it.

The Book of Boba Fett is a total mess but the last 2 episodes have been a great dip into the Star Wars universe.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Soon as I saw him in the distance I knew it was Cad Bane. Wasn’t expecting him at all. Awesome. They better not squander him by killing him off in this series. That would be a total waste.

Really impressed with the cgi work on Luke, they’ve almost nailed it.

The Book of Boba Fett is a total mess but the last 2 episodes have been a great dip into the Star Wars universe.

I think I'd like it if they continue along this path - each show that takes place within this timeline just kind of crosses over constantly. I realize they probably figured out early on that their plans for this story weren't really panning out, so they mixed things up with the familiar, but I think they're onto something. So long as the writing remains as strong as it was these past two episodes, anyway.

Sybrix

Anyone else a bit confused with the ages of everyone?

Ahsoka Tano is 50-60 years old?

Cad Bane in his 80s?

Bo Katan 50s?

Also, apologies for the side track here but was this scene ever expanded on?

FKmGTo8VEAInchx

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Also, apologies for the side track here but was this scene ever expanded on?

FKmGTo8VEAInchx
That a Jedi can come from all walks of life? The other trilogies already kinda show that already.

Doubt that this specific boy will be anything significant in that universe.

Little Mac

Gold Member
So much nostalgia in one episode ... Luke, Ashoka, Groku, R2, Mando, Sherriff, Cad Bane, Yoda's lightsaber? Imagine Groku choosing to be a foundling and Luke drops him off to Mando and runs into Boba Fett ...

Last edited:

DKehoe

May not be his problem but is shows a lack of care for what others will have to work with thanks to him.
What was the lack of care about that moment? It was about showing the story inspiring people. I don't think the intention was ever for that kid to then show up later and play a role in toppling the First Order.

Ulysses 31

What was the lack of care about that moment? It was about showing the story inspiring people. I don't think the intention was ever for that kid to then show up later and play a role in toppling the First Order.
Killing off Snoke meant they had to pull the Emperor and his fleet of planet killing star destroyers out of nowhere in TROS . Killing off Luke and so many of the resistance also limited what could happen in Episode 9.

DKehoe

Killing off Snoke meant they had to pull the Emperor and his fleet of planet killing star destroyers out of nowhere in TROS . Killing off Luke and so many of the resistance also limited what could happen in Episode 9.
Thought we were just talking about the moment with the kid at the end.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Sounds like your problem was with what JJ Abrams did. Duel of the Fates had a great plot, Trevorrow just couldn't get it to work without Leia.

I think you need to think of Book of Fett as Mandalorian S3. Mando's scenes probably had to be curtailed as Pasco is doing Last of Us, so they expanded Fetts involvement, first few episodes feel like filler, as that's exactly what they are.

And I'd bet my money that some of the content was going to set up Rangers series with Gina, so those scenes had to be axed as well.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Alright I’m trying to fit this in before picking up the kids and oh my god the special effects to get young Luke…so much better than what they did previously

Ulysses 31

Sounds like your problem was with what JJ Abrams did. Duel of the Fates had a great plot, Trevorrow just couldn't get it to work without Leia.
Kinda, JJ is on record saying it probably would've been better if the trilogy had been planned out from the start and thus Rian not having all the freedom to do what he did with the TLJ story.

lol at Disney retconning their own "canon" stuff.

They're already relegating their material to "Legends" practically.
Strongly depends on the choice at the end of the ep unless it will become a plot point later on that Luke lied about having Ben Solo/Kylo Ren as his first student.

Last edited:
Kinda, JJ is on record saying it probably would've been better if the trilogy had been planned out from the start and thus Rian not having all the freedom to do what he did with the TLJ story.

Strongly depends on the choice at the end of the ep unless it will become a plot point later on that Luke lied about having Ben Solo/Kylo Ren as his first student.
That too probably but I was referring to what happened to Yoda's lightsaber in the Vader comics.

trikster40

I knew who was walking up the second I saw that hat.

Funny, the best two episodes of Boba Fett ain’t got shit to do with him at all.

I dare say they’ve nailed the deaging tech…and for a Disney+ show!

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sure but that doesn't mean the sequel trilogy won't be retconned too if Grogu becomes Luke's first student.
Stop watching the masked Neo Nazi on YouTube, they're not retconning three movies that made over $1 billion. Well maybe the will after they fire Kathleen Kennedy next week like that guy claims every week. This episode showed Luke building his training temple that gets burned down in TLJ.

The whole point of this episode was to get Grogu back to The Mandalorian.

ManaByte

Gold Member
So the coat/lightsaber choice continues the Lone Wolf & Cub story almost exactly.

The coat is the sword from that story and the lightsaber is the ball.

Since that's early in the Lone Wolf & Cub story we know he'll choose the path to go with The Mandalorian.

Ulysses 31

Stop watching the masked Neo Nazi on YouTube, they're not retconning three movies that made over $1 billion.
There were big diminishing returns thanks to TLJ(Solo lost money, TROS made 50% less than TFA) and it wasted a great cinematic moment of seeing Luke, Han and Leia together again on the big screen.

With the reception of TLJ I'm sure many people would like to see a do over of that one at least.
Well maybe the will after they fire Kathleen Kennedy next week like that guy claims every week.
Those claims have been updated to KK is practically out of the picture now at Lucasfilms and it's now Favreau and Filoni who run the show. :messenger_winking_tongue:
This episode showed Luke building his training temple that gets burned down in TLJ.
Luke's having a training temple is not something out of the ordinary outside of TLJ. All depends if it suffers the same fate as seen as in TLJ.
The whole point of this episode was to get Grogu back to The Mandalorian.
You sure what the choice's going to be? If Grogu chooses training then it becomes more hopeful that TLJ is retconned.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Those claims have been updated to KK is practically out of the picture now at Lucasfilms and it's now Favreau and Filoni who run the show. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Nothing changed. Filoni is still executive creative director, a role he's had since Kennedy promoted him to it in 2020, Favreau doesn't have an official executive position at LFL, and Disney just renewed Kathleen Kennedy's contract for ANOTHER three years back in November. Again, stop watching the masked Neo Nazi on YouTube.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I wouldn't mind if they retconned the entire ST. Only The Force Awakens was any good IMO, with TLJ being a train wreck that dead-ended the story so severely we ended up with TRoS as an attempt to band-aid the myriad issues left from it.

I was never big on the EU, whatever was or still is considered canon (for example I never read any of the books, very few comics, and never watched The Clone Wars) - but I read some wiki articles to try and catch up, and it sounds like they have their own time traveling device to put into play called The World Between Worlds, and a character familiar with it, Ashoka. So if they want to go all Avenger's End Game and just fucking erase all of it, or at least all of it after The Force Awakens, I saw go for it. I very much doubt many people would even care to be honest.

Wasn't Luke's training temple on an island - Ahch-To - in TLJ? This training temple in Boba Fett is on a planet with lots of landmass in a heavily wooded area.

Last edited:
Luke's having a training temple is not something out of the ordinary outside of TLJ. All depends if it suffers the same fate as seen as in TLJ.
Wasn't Luke's training temple on an island - Ahch-To - in TLJ? This training temple in Boba Fett is on a planet with lots of landmass in a heavily wooded area.

Edit: sorry for double post.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Edit: sorry for double post.

Luke's temple was only said to have been in a secret location. So I guess now we know where.

Ahch-To was the planet he hid on in TLJ, where the first known Jedi temple was.

Ulysses 31

I wouldn't mind if they retconned the entire ST. Only The Force Awakens was any good IMO, with TLJ being a train wreck that dead-ended the story so severely we ended up with TRoS as an attempt to band-aid the myriad issues left from it.
Didn't you think it was too much of a retread of ANH and that it damaged Han's character who regressed to being a swindler, smuggler and a deadbeat dad who forgot where he parked the Millennium Falcon? 👀

Also wasted opportunities of seeing what being a storm trooper from childhood was like. And there needed to be at least some explanation where the First Order with their massive resources came from after the defeat of the Empire... :lollipop_confounded:

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Luke's temple was only said to have been in a secret location. So I guess now we know where.

The TLJ temple was much bigger without a forest, but that was 23 years after this. So Luke probably did some deforestation to expand it.

Or when Grogu goes back with Mando, Luke abandons this temple because he doesn’t have another student until Ben gets older.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Didn't you think it was too much of a retread of ANH and that it damaged Han's character who regressed to being a swindler, smuggler and a deadbeat dad who forgot where he parked the Millennium Falcon? 👀

Also wasted opportunities of seeing what being a storm trooper from childhood was like. And there needed at least some explanation where the First Order came from after the defeat of the Empire... :lollipop_confounded:

I didn't mind the parallels to ANH, it being a reintroduction of sorts for a new generation who grew up on the prequels and Clone Wars.

I also didn't find Solo's behavior out of character - he was a rogue until the end, even if a nobler one than most. And not to nitpick: it's established he lost the Falcon during his more laid back times away from the smuggling biz, and he wasn't being a deadbeat father - his son became Space Hitler Jr, his second-best friend vanished, his wife's allegiances and energy remained with The Resistance, and there was nothing he could do about any of it. So he escaped back into the life he knew best. That to me sounds pretty on point character wise to me.

Ulysses 31

I also didn't find Solo's behavior out of character - he was a rogue until the end, even if a nobler one than most. And not to nitpick: it's established he lost the Falcon during his more laid back times away from the smuggling biz, and he wasn't being a deadbeat father - his son became Space Hitler Jr, his second-best friend vanished, his wife's allegiances and energy remained with The Resistance, and there was nothing he could do about any of it. So he escaped back into the life he knew best. That to me sounds pretty on point character wise to me.
To me it seemed that we saw his character grow in the OT to where he also thinks of others when there's tyrannical forces to fight and Leia's battles would also be his battles too. To see him having abandon it all without any build up at the time is just such big(too big IMO) character development to happen off screen.

Last edited:

Oh ok.

I think I understand and misunderstood.

The temple that burned down was the one in the flashbacks. When the poster above mentioned "Jedi temple burning down" I thought he was referring to when Ghost Yoda struck that one with lightning on the island and not the flashback, which I forgot about.

I was never big on the EU, whatever was or still is considered canon (for example I never read any of the books, very few comics, and never watched The Clone Wars) - but I read some wiki articles to try and catch up, and it sounds like they have their own time traveling device to put into play called The World Between Worlds, and a character familiar with it, Ashoka. So if they want to go all Avenger's End Game and just fucking erase all of it, or at least all of it after The Force Awakens, I saw go for it. I very much doubt many people would even care to be honest.
They've set up a lazy way out, yes. Have Grogu choose the Mandalorian and things play out like they do in the ST. Seeing the fallout of those events, Grogu can seek out the World Between Worlds, choose Luke instead and boom - retcon.

Honestly, I think it's a shit idea to retcon the ST even though I hate them - hell I didn't even watch the third one. I hope they wrap up these storylines, then jump forward 500 years and start making Star Wars content that doesn't have all the baggage.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm starting to think they threw Robert Rodriguez a couple grand and told him to have fun and that's how we got the chronicles of Fett. I expect Fett in ep6 to be waaaaaay more violent. I also kinda think he is gonna die and Timothy Olyphant will take over with his armor.

As for the Jedi, I'm a little disappointed that asokha would be party to making grogu have to chose between Mando or Jedi. WSnt that stuff kinda her beef with the Jedi in the first place (other than being falsely accused)?

I get the intent, Jedi as galaxy wide peace keepers ought to be impartial and a bit aloof from their subjects, and personal attachments are just hooks for being twisted to the dark side. But Luke of all people should know that personal attachments can bring TO the light side as well.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I liked the episode. Cad bane showing up was fun. He is the guy that sends you on a smugglers run in the Disney theme park. So now people can see his live action version.

always like anything with Luke skywalker. But it doesn’t look like him.

Top Bottom