• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Book of Boba Fett |OT| Sarlaac Spit-Up

TVexperto

So I watched the first episode and hated it. I heard episode 5 and 6 are worth it. Can I just skip and watch them if I like mandalorian? Or do I really need to continue with episode 2?

FunkMiller

So I watched the first episode and hated it. I heard episode 5 and 6 are worth it. Can I just skip and watch them if I like mandalorian? Or do I really need to continue with episode 2?

I skipped everything other than 5, 6 and some of 7. Everything else is the drizzling, pointless shits by all accounts.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
You get the feeling they just wanted to do more Mando episodes, and tacked on all the Boba Fett shit for the memberberry money. What a pile of dogshit.

I have a feeling there was strife behind the scenes. I read in an interview Morrison didn't like that his character spoke so much, and even tried to avoid it while Favreau was away - prompting Fav to have to call him and ask him to please read all of the written lines. Morrison and Wen also threw a little shade towards the mod characters. It was subtle, something along the lines of "We don't have a choice about those things", but even that level of criticism is very weird to hear from two stars of a show that was in the process of being aired for the first time.

Then of course they completely veered away from what Rodriguez was doing to show us Mandalorian s2.5. The way they show Boba at the end of episode 6 not saying anything after they didn't include him at all for two episodes could have been the leadership telling Morrison "OK you don't like our writing, here, now you don't have any lines for two entire episodes of your own show. Enjoy.".

I mean, they do get pretty damned petty in Hollywood.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I have a feeling there was strife behind the scenes. I read in an interview Morrison didn't like that his character spoke so much, and even tried to avoid it while Favreau was away - prompting Fav to have to call him and ask him to please read all of the written lines. Morrison and Wen also threw a little shade towards the mod characters. It was subtle, something along the lines of "We don't have a choice about those things", but even that level of criticism is very weird to hear from two stars of a show that was in the process of being aired for the first time.

Then of course they completely veered away from what Rodriguez was doing to show us Mandalorian s2.5. The way they show Boba at the end of episode 6 not saying anything after they didn't include him at all for two episodes could have been the leadership telling Morrison "OK you don't like our writing, here, now you don't have any lines for two entire episodes of your own show. Enjoy.".

I mean, they do get pretty damned petty in Hollywood.

You can't randomly change production schedule when filming has already started. No, episode 5 and 6 were always structured as they were from the beginning.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
You can't randomly change production schedule when filming has already started. No, episode 5 and 6 were always structured as they were from the beginning.

Shows have done it before. Stars leave or are fired, COVID-19 setbacks, massive creative differences, etc.

sol_bad

Shows have done it before. Stars leave or are fired, COVID-19 setbacks, massive creative differences, etc.

Filming took place between November 2020 and June 2021. A 7 month shoot. To re-imagine episode 5 and 6 they'd have to re-write the scripts from scratch, negotiate new contracts for the actors of Mandalorian, possibly request more budget depending on what had and hadn't been worked on for the previous versions of those episodes for VFX (let's not forget that VFX work is generally started before shooting begins).

To rework 2 entire episodes would require significant delays.

ManaByte

negotiate new contracts for the actors of Mandalorian

Psst...Pedro is never in the suit anymore. Hell he wasn't even cast when they started filming the first season.

Which means that YouTuber who claimed he was going to quit the show because he couldn't show his face is full of shit. He's literally never in the suit.

He just does ADR and they use two different stuntmen in the suit. One does the gunfights and another does everything else.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Every once in a while Polygon is right about something.

It’s actually better taken as one continuous movie…week to week it was really disjointed but I rewatched it from start to finish yesterday and it was way better. The Mainstreet Electtical parade bike chase is still horrendous though.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Psst...Pedro is never in the suit anymore. Hell he wasn't even cast when they started filming the first season.

Which means that YouTuber who claimed he was going to quit the show because he couldn't show his face is full of shit. He's literally never in the suit.

He just does ADR and they use two different stuntmen in the suit. One does the gunfights and another does everything else.
This doesn't mean that Pedro wasn't interested in more screen time for his face.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The dude has to work one day a year per season and get paid for it. He has the best job on the show.
Maybe, but you're drawing conclusions like you have some sort of confirmation.

if we are just speculating based on what might be going on in his mind, then I'd argue he is in one of the most popular shows on the planet, so of course both him and his agent want to get him as much screen-time as possible. That's how you become known and further your career.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Pretty Bad on its own but pretty good episodes in the grand scheme of things.

It was ok and sets up a lot for the other shows they are doing.

I don't understand why this was marketed as a crime lord/underworld show. Fett "banishes" the drug trade on Tatooine. Not sure how that's possible to accomplish on an ENTIRE FUCKING PLANET, but we'll even skip that logic. Ultimately, he's not a fucking crime lord at the end of the show, and he never acted like a crime lord throughout the course of the show........so why even take that story angle in the first place? We were wondering why Boba Fett would even want Jabba's position before the show started.

They could've just as easily told a story where the Tuskens showed Fett a secret way to harvest water, on a planet where moisture is a commodity. Now that he's old, Fett uses this knowledge to retire wealthy and live in Jabba's palace, while undercutting the crime lords. The people get cheaper water now, the crime lords come after him, and boom there is your series. None of this awkward juxtaposition of running a "criminal" empire vs being a Disney good guy. This show is so fucking stupid as it's presented to us.

Fett should have been the Walter White of Tatooine.

Sadly Disney are going full throttle on destroying our childhood.

Cinelinx previously reported that a High Republic series akin to "Stranger Things in Space" was in development, which tracks with the timing of this production. Bespin Bulletin backed up the report, sharing that Lucasfilm is in the process of casting kids in the age range of 10-12 for the project.

kathleen kennedy GIF by popsugar

ManaByte

Thaedolus

Clearly it's meant to be like Breaking Bad and for it to not be that way is destroying childhoods
Honestly a gritty ass Star Wars where the constant death count actually took a toll- a la the Death Star contractors thought experiment in Clerks- could be really cool. Or that 1313 game. But anyone expecting that or disappointed that it isn’t the case on Disney+ needs to rethink things.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Fett should have been the Walter White of Tatooine.

Sadly Disney are going full throttle on destroying our childhood.

Cinelinx previously reported that a High Republic series akin to "Stranger Things in Space" was in development, which tracks with the timing of this production. Bespin Bulletin backed up the report, sharing that Lucasfilm is in the process of casting kids in the age range of 10-12 for the project.

kathleen kennedy GIF by popsugar

Destroying the childhood memories of a series where teddie bears defeated the bad guys in the final act? And I guess youssa also forgot about da big doo doo wabbit (not that I blame you for repressing that).

I guess I'm lucky because I was never a Boba Fett fan. But my favorite Star Wars canon character is Palpatine.

I agree they should have handled Bobaleh Fett better.

But for me it's now Cad Bane. Dude is a far better badass character. My biggest disappointment was seeing him done in so quick.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Honestly a gritty ass Star Wars where the constant death count actually took a toll- a la the Death Star contractors thought experiment in Clerks- could be really cool. Or that 1313 game. But anyone expecting that or disappointed that it isn’t the case on Disney+ needs to rethink things.
519N8frZJzL._SX303_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

JayK47

Such a weird series. I wonder if they will make more. 50% flash backs, 25% Mandolorian and 25% Boba getting his ass kicked. It was interesting, enjoyable and disappointing all at the same time. And it seems to have completely undone the ending of Mandolorian.

MrMephistoX

Xizor's species have pheromones that can.......influence. I remember Shadows of the Empire being awesome as a kid, I read both the book and played the game. Also I'll take any excuse to post one of the best Star Wars music themes of all time:

Would be cool if Nintendo made a deal for this to get re released on Switch along with the Super Star Wars collection and Rogue Squadrons. But alas Disney only likes certain types of money. Re Fett the series is best experienced in One sitting…I wish Disney would give a back to back seamless option so you could just watch all of the episodes together in one seamless movie without episode breaks intros and recaps. Star Wars “fans” fueled by YouTube hot takes are the worst nitpickers and giving them an entire week to dissect each episode without having any idea of the full story is just tiresome: like really you’re bitching about Ice Cube’s son NOT Turing out to be your fanfic theory of an obscure Jedi no one but kids who watched Clone wars has heard of? I’m avoiding the Obi Wan thread for that very reason; I’d rather discuss when the whole series is out. BOBF really only had one trash episode in EP 3 with the mainstreet electrical biker gang parade/slowest chase scene on film since the advent of talkies. Only bad film in my book too is Rise of Skywalker and why is it bad? They actually listened to “fans” and gave them exactly what they asked for.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Just got around to watching this.

I liked it in general. The flashback episodes were the best. Then the Mandalorian stuff, but it was a bit jarring having them suddenly shoved in there and Mando came across as even more stilted than usual.

I didn't mind the crime lord/hutt stuff, but it was pretty weak. I get the idea of the mods (I hope that it was inspired by the real British mods who rode around on mopeds as well as a play on words), but they were pretty silly.

The worst episode was the last one. It was so clichéd. There were pretty much no stakes (other than the green pig guards who no one even mentioned again). The scale for what they were trying to portray was also out of whack. I almost zoned out. The only fun bits were Grogo, and Fennec garrotting that mayor. Well, and at least the story was coherent and made sense but then again that removed all stakes from and undid the emotional tension from The Mandalorian.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Besides Leia being smacked around a lot in it, there’s the creepy Xizor seducing Leia bit that the danger hairs on Twitter have ALREADY called out as problematic.
0efef3830f664cf1540b14d4fa2c4ebd.jpg
I love the word problematic, it really means nothing anymore but sounds bad… sigh… 😔.

Top Bottom