• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The bottom is falling out of the SSD market. Gamers rejoice!

Exhibit A:

SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe Gen 4 Gaming M.2 Internal Solid State Hard Drive Memory Card, Maximum Speed, Thermal Control, MZ-V8P1T0B https://a.co/d/b62J1b4

$119 for a 1TB Sammy without a heatsink.

SSD's are going in and out of stock on Amazon left and right. Sales pricing hit before Amazon Prime Day and it was glorious. Amazon Prime Day pricing was nuts and now we are seeing the fallout. New prices for current drives are changing all across the board and gamers are snatching them up now that the pricing bubble has burst!

The pandemic related supply crisis kept prices artificially inflated.

Keep your eyes peeled as several drives have dropped on Amazon and Best Buy only to go out of stock quickly and then return with a different price. Overall, prices are still pretty low across the board but absolutely stupid prices temporarily pop up. Best Buy had a pricing error on a 4TB Firecuda for $299 that was quickly taken down after people managed to snag some.

My recommendation for a heatsink:

GRAUGEAR PS5 M.2 2280 NVMe SSD Heatsink with Mesh Metal Heat Dissipation Dust Filter Cover for Expansion Slot, Copper Heat Pipe and Aluminum Fin for Playstation 5 SSD NVMe PCIe 4.0 Storage[G-PS5HS03] https://a.co/d/15pB7g9

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
Yeah I picked up the 2tb Samsung 980 pro from Best Buy for $209 last week. Had a $50 gift card $10 in rewards and am getting $10 in rewards back. Was going to drop it in my pc but think I’ll put this one in my ps5 then pick up another for the pc in the coming weeks. I already have one 2tb 980 pro in there.

I bought so many SSD's over the years I've lost track of em all. Some should be going bad by now right? I hear they have a limited lifespan though I've yet to see one go down.
Unlike those spinning platters that failed me time and time again.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
????? 2 year old GPUs are not even at RRP yet and plenty of component prices have bin driven sky high by the pandemic ????

I am talking about not-GPU components like ram and SSD. I didn’t know I have to type this out

DDR4 ram replaced DDR3 rams price wise, same for HDD to SATA SSD to nvme gen4 SSD now etc, CPU and mobo too.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I bought so many SSD's over the years I've lost track of em all. Some should be going bad by now right? I hear they have a limited lifespan though I've yet to see one go down.
I’ve been using the 1TB Samsung 960 Pro in my computer for 5.5 years now and haven’t had a single issue. The ssd’s in my parents computer are my old ssd’s from way farther back then that. A good ssd should last you a LONG time.

Last edited:
I’ve been using the 1TB Samsung 960 Pro in my computer for 5.5 years now and haven’t had a single issue. The ssd’s in my parents computer are my old ssd’s from way farther back then that. A good ssd should last you a LONG time.
My main boot drive is my first SSD I ever bought. The Intel 520 180GB. Says that drive came out in 2013 but I probly bought it in 2014.
8 years old and my main boot drive. All it does is boot windows. I don't keep much else on it.

Demigod Mac

SSDs do eventually wear out given enough write operations, but you have to put one through an extremely unrealistic level of punishment before it became a problem (only a busy data center need be concerned).
Much more likely you'll replace it with a bigger/faster model long before wear takes its toll. Either way, always regularly run backups of your stuff - if SSDs die due to other issues they tend to go very suddenly and without warning.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I wanna get one of these, but my windows install is already on a slower 500 gb PCIE gen 3 SSD. How do i manage to successfully swap SSDs while still keeping all of my data?

Beechos

Wheres that damn xbox usb adapter to use your own ssd's. Also what happened to all those ssd benchmarks that got done when these next gen systems launched. Are there no loading differences anymore bet the ps5 lightspeed ssd and regular ones?

Last edited:

radewagon

No kidding. I got a 1tb Samsung Evo 870 (sata drive) for 60 bucks at Best Buy. I know it's not a fancy nvme or anything, but 60 bucks for a 1tb Sata SSD is still pretty great. My PS3 is going to be blazing fast. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

drotahorror

I still use my OCZ 256gb SSD for my OS and I got that in 2011. I also use my Samsung Spinpoint 1TB HDD from 2011 every single day. Both going strong as day 1.

Just grabbed another 2TB SSD during amazon prime day. I have 7 SSD/HDD hooked up jeez.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, demand for components is dropping massively too. Its a win win again for us that dedicate our time and money to this crazy hobbie.

Average people are out of the bubble now. Cost of living in the UK is insane...People are stealing butter! Yes butter!

Electricity and gas etc is through the roof and we are practically in a recession but the government is just trying to bold off saying it.

I expect prices to continue to fall, especially on stuff like ddr5 and components that there are tons of companies making their own versions of it. Memory, ssds, psu.

Motherboards and CPU, etc may increase initially. Its gonna be interesting to see how the component market goes as demand drops.

sendit

Nice.. now you have 2 items to scratch the depth of your ass crack
Animated GIF

Celcius

°Temp. member
I wanna get one of these, but my windows install is already on a slower 500 gb PCIE gen 3 SSD. How do i manage to successfully swap SSDs while still keeping all of my data?
I’d like to know this too. Though one option is to keep the old drive installed and then just install the new drive as a secondary.

Top Bottom