• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol First Gameplay Revealed

FukuDaruma

No..

We're comparing cutscenes to cutscenes. Nothing comes close to TLOU2, maybe Horizon forbidden West.
It's ok, even if we count that one from Callisto as pre-rendered. I think TLOU2 realtime may be the best also. But then you see how their 2018 demo was fake in many many different aspects, not just visuals but animations, AI, physics, ...

RPS37

At least a multiplatform game is scheduled to release before the end of the year…
This looks a lot like dead space…like are they supposed to be this similar?
if someone told me it was the same universe, I wouldn’t question it.
now I see no use in playing the dead space remake.

Remember TLOU2 2018 bullshit trailer? ... final 2020 game was nothing like that trailer:

ufgFCS7.png

50032269607_df7ce17694_o.png

d138RZK.png

I bet we're gonna see *exactly* the same bullshit with Callisto, or worse...

I was wondering why the graphics looked a little off in the game compared to what I was expecting

FukuDaruma

It's all the same AMD hardware, it's not like PS5 is using Cell 2 or something...
It's not that simple. The GPU is not the only hardware. Even if you can crank up some setting later, you are basicly constrained by the lower version of the game, that's why people are demanding games to be next-gen (current-gen) only and ditch last-gen. Then you have another whole different story on PC alone, with a dozen of different gpu's and cpu's from at least 2 different brands. If it were that easy... why does it take a huge brand like Sony so much time to make just PC ports, and even when they come out they have many problems still?

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

I was wondering why the graphics looked a little off in the game compared to what I was expecting

Same. I thought a top studio like NaughtyDog wouldn't risk credibility doing that, but I guess seeing as everybody and their mother does it they don't give a fuck also. It works.

ZywyPL

Banned
why does it take a huge brand like Sony so much time to make just PC ports, and even when they come out they have many problems still?

That's just Sony's business decision, nothing more, whereas everyone else have been doing multiplatform games since forever, the likes of EA or Ubi on a yearly basis even. So yeah, I'd say it's fairly easy, it's all the same x86 architecture after all. And if you're using an of-the-shelf engine like UE or Unity, things couldn't get any easier.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I wonder if we will be solely on Callisto or if there will be some space endeavours around Jupiter. I'm expecting some zero gravity gameplay and i think about how it could be incorporated since we are not on a spaceship.

FukuDaruma

That's just Sony's business decision, nothing more, whereas everyone else have been doing multiplatform games since forever, the likes of EA or Ubi on a yearly basis even. So yeah, I'd say it's fairly easy, it's all the same x86 architecture after all. And if you're using an of-the-shelf engine like UE or Unity, things couldn't get any easier.

I was talking about the time it takes them to make the port, not that they don't make the same release dates for consoles and pc.

And there you have it, a company like UBI with thousands of employees across dozens of studios, reskinning the same shit and releasing it as a pile of bugs. Not a great example.

If we are doubting that this is how games can look on current machines then give me PS6/New Xbox already. It's about time we see some serious advancements in graphics.

However, I dread to think how Callisto is going to look and run on last gen.

Cyborg

It looks great.

But an honest question; is this even legal? I mean it looks so much like Dead Space. Can you ''copy'' a game this much without any problems?

CuNi

Those guys building on and continuing the Dead Space formula while EA is stuck clinging to the ashes of past games and making Remakes.
You just have to think about the fact that EA had these guys already in their studios but never used their talent.
Looking forward to seeing the game in released form and if there is not much done wrong buying and playing it close to day 1!

shubik

It looks great.

But an honest question; is this even legal? I mean it looks so much like Dead Space. Can you ''copy'' a game this much without any problems?

I don´t see any problem. Different names, different protagonists, etc. You can´t put a copyright on a genre.

RPSleon

It looks great.

It would be a real shame if ea tried to stop them, seeing as ea wouldnt have dead space without them.

I think they should let this one slide.

Braag

Looks good, but I call bullshit.

Just how big of a downgrade you think the visuals will be in the *real game*?

I mean, does anybody really think the game is gonna look this good?

aDyi0Cm.png
4bxtVzI.png
53RpjNE.png
13q1R2d.png

S57Smym.png

7MyMUDj.png

All studios been doing fake gameplay trailers for years. It's not only the worse scumbags like UBI, even top studios like NaughtyDog lie with the trailers... they all know it works to get the hype train running and they get away with it.
Are those pics supposed to look "unrealistically good?". It looks like a good looking UE5 UE4 game, I can see it looking like that on PC. But who knows, the game is only few months away, so we'll see.

It looks great.

This is a similar situation as Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Most of the original Dead Space team want to make a game like that but don't hold the rights so they make a spiritual successor to it.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Seeing this is £46 for series X version at shopto, is making this game, seem like I guess I could try it day one.

I thought this might have been £70, as someone posted that it was up for preorder for $70 earlier.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Seeing this is £46 for series X version at shopto, is making this game, seem like I guess I could try it day one.

I thought this might have been £70, as someone posted that it was up for preorder for $70 earlier.

Yes it's definitely a $70 game on the new consoles in the States, on sites like Best Buy.

Damn 46 sounds like a steal !

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Imagine dying like that, damn near instantly. That facial look when hes getting pulled into that turbine is intense. Instant look of "im fucked".

ManaByte

Gold Member
Loaded up the original Dead Space last night. Graphics are dated now, but the gameplay still holds up even nearly 15 years later which is rare to say for some games of that era. Can't wait for this.

FukuDaruma

Are those pics supposed to look "unrealistically good?". It looks like a good looking UE5 UE4 game, I can see it looking like that on PC. But who knows, the game is only few months away, so we'll see.

People are saying some are pre-rendered... so it looks like they are unrealistically good for realtime cutscenes, not even gameplay.

bender

What time is it?
I actually started replaying Dead Space last night which I've always been a little hesitant to do after replaying Dead Space 2. I really don't think that games holds up very well and I love, love, loved it when it launched. Callisto Protocol is one of the few big budget titles I'm looking forward to this year.

Braag

People are saying some are pre-rendered... so it looks like they are unrealistically good for realtime cutscenes, not even gameplay.
Could be, if for some reason they use pre-rendered cut scenes. Which would be funny considering the devs call this "AAAA" :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Nautilus

Banned
This looks excellent. I was afraid the camera was too close to Isaac... I mean, the main carachter, but this ganeplay video dispelled my worries.

GymWolf

Is it me or the gunplay in the "long" gameplay video wasn't super duper fantastic like it looked in the edited trailer??

I don't know i feel like dead space still does the aiming for limbs a bit better, and enemy design is not there yet.

I don't know guys...still hyped of course but there is something abstract that didn't convinced me.

Last edited:

amigastar

Is it me or the gunplay in the "long" gameplay video wasn't super duper fantastic like it looked in the edited trailer??

I don't know i feel like dead space still does the aiming for limbs a bit better, and enemy design is not there yet.

I don't know guys...still hyped of course but there is something abstract that didn't convinced me.
I just hope the gunplay is actually good, i'm currently playing Mafia Remastered on PC and the gunplay is not as good as i remember from the original Mafia.

GymWolf

this game is cross gen. I dont get it.
You don't get what?

Have you forgot how hfw look while being both crossgen and open world?!

If you consider that this one has very small locations and a couple of characters on screen at the same time, it doesn't look THAT impressive.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Same. I thought a top studio like NaughtyDog wouldn't risk credibility doing that, but I guess seeing as everybody and their mother does it they don't give a fuck also. It works.
It was well known after the huge downgrade in the IA in the first tlou and the nate on the beach fake render for u4.

Ironically i think that ND are the worse sony studio when it comes to downgrades (but maybe i'm forgetting someone)

They are lucky because the final result still looks better than most console games so people don't care that much, but they are famous for their bullshits.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Are you talking about mafia?
no no im talking about callisto

yes, mafia is very different indeed. but the delta between mafia 1 original and remake is much bigger than the delta between the original dead space and current gen games (ue4 and stuff)

you could fool someone into thinking dead space is a relatively modern title with some tweaks here and there +4k+60fps and with a small texture work. :D

GymWolf

yes, mafia is very different indeed. but the delta between mafia 1 original and remake is much bigger than the delta between the original dead space and current gen games (ue4 and stuff)

you could fool someone into thinking dead space is a relatively modern title with some tweaks here and there +4k+60fps and with a small texture work. :D
Yeah, i think that animations and gunplay can be sold as modern even today with very few tweaks.

amigastar

Yep, they really blew it in the Remake of Mafia. Thats probably the reason it didn't score as high.

Just wanna say thank you to Glenn Schofield and his team and make a request, in earnest, "Take a wellness break, if you can, please!". Seeing Glen Schofield on the SGF was a gut punch, he looked like Ken Levine when he was doing pressers for "Bioshock: Infinite", which is to say, "Not healthy, stressed out, emotionally spent". Maybe I am wrong, I just admire the guy.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can't see anywhere doing the Collector's Edition with Steelbook & Season Pass in the UK.

I just got back into Dead Space 2, and I gotta say I hope there are less jump scares in this. In my old age, these things just fry my nerves. To the point that it kinda limits my session length. Still buying either way unless we get some bad news about it.

Top Bottom