• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol is no longer part of the PUBG universe (VGC)

kingfey

Banned
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...tocol-is-no-longer-part-of-the-pubg-universe/

The Callisto Protocol, the upcoming horror game from Dead Space creator Glen Schofield is no longer part of the PUBG universe.

Speaking on Twitter Schofield said that the game “no longer takes place in the PUBG Universe.” He continued: “It was originally part of the PUBG timeline, but grew into its own world. PUBG is awesome, and we will still have little surprises for fans, but TCP is its own world, story and universe.”

Announced at The Game Awards in December 2020, The Callisto Protocol is the brainchild of Dead Space creator Schofield, the former Sledgehammer Games and Visceral Games boss who was appointed CEO of new PUBG Corporation development studio Striking Distance in 2019.

Little has been heard of the game since its original announcement, when it was scheduled for release in 2022, but comments from Schofield earlier this month suggest that’s soon to change.

He said on Monday: “This is my favorite time when making a game – the design starts coming together. Love seeing all the hard work the team is doing in the mocap studio to bring our characters to life. Thanks to everyone waiting as we finish and polish the game. We’ll have more to share soon!”

In February 2021, Striking Distance said it had partnered with Skybound Entertainment, the company behind The Walking Dead franchise, to turn The Callisto Protocol into a multimedia franchise.

Electronic ArtsMotive studio is currently working on a Dead Space remake. Last month, it shared over 20 minutes of new footage and confirmed an early 2023 release window.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
okay-waka-flocka.gif

Whatever, since it's a Western game. The universe will be uninteresting and the characters will be boring as fuck because "boring is adult and serious" no matter how silly the premise.

jaysius

Banned
PUBG now there's a name I don't remember. Does anyone still play that flash in the pan Battle Royale shit anymore?

Nickolaidas

Banned
"We wanted to set Callisto Protocol in the PUGB Universe, but then we realized PUGB doesn't have a universe to begin with.

Yeah, that was a little embarrassing. We just chuckled and handwaved it, then started making actual lore for the game and everything went fine."

Inviusx

The full article gives us some more insight:

"When we came in, [Krafton] had a lore team and they were writing this big story, like, 'Where does PUBG start? Where does it fit in?'". Had those plans continued, the horror game would have sat "pretty far out" along the timeline, but somewhere during development the idea was dropped.

Robb

Gold Member
Didn’t even know that was a thing until just now, so that sounds like the correct call.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
PUBG now there's a name I don't remember. Does anyone still play that flash in the pan Battle Royale shit anymore?
It's one of the most played games in the world still. Top 5 on Steam, peaks at 400k a day.

Then there is a mobile version... one of the most played mobile games.

Thing about GAAS games is they just dont really need a ton of publicity as the players log in to the game and see new stuff there, or are on discords, following twitters/etc/etc. So they shy off into the distance making 100s of millions a year.

It would have been a ridiculous mistake to tie a sci-fi survival horror game new IP into the "universe" of a fucking random BR shooter with no meaningful narrative or visual identity.

Top Bottom