• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol - Mastering Horror Docuseries

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Glen Schofield and the development team at Striking Distance Studios are joined by the cast of The Callisto Protocol and notable icons in horror entertainment as they go behind the scenes of the game and discuss their shared love of the horror genre.

Join us for Episode 2 to learn how atmosphere and tension are used in horror entertainment and how the team at Striking Distance Studios is implementing them in The Callisto Protocol to heighten players’ sense of fear.

Stay tuned for Mastering Horror | The Callisto Protocol Docuseries: Episode 3 on November 10, 2022.
Mark your calendars for the culmination of the docuseries with the Mastering Horror Roundtable on November 17, 2022.

IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo , Episode 3 is now online.

Didn't know Sam Witwer and Josh Duhamel are involved. They even have Robert Kirkman on it (missed that announcement). Really awesome!

Last edited:

Gudji

School Lol GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That was a pretty good series with having some horror industry greats.

Also, Sam Witwer is in the game as well, I am so in!

Last edited:

GymWolf

That makes no sense. I love horror, getting scared IS FUN. Assuming they nail the tension I felt when I played the first two Dead Space games, or Alien Isolation, then hell yeah. I remain very doubtful tho cuz I havent played a good horror game in ages.
Have you tried horror in vr?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That makes no sense. I love horror, getting scared IS FUN. Assuming they nail the tension I felt when I played the first two Dead Space games, or Alien Isolation, then hell yeah. I remain very doubtful tho cuz I havent played a good horror game in ages.
That is what made P.T. so special too as a small demo. Even in a room with 3 or 4 friends, passing the controller off still made lots of tension. Almost like "hot potato."

Was creepy, tense, and FUN with those adrenaline spikes.

Wait a fucking moment, why the hell is sam witwer in the video? is he voicing the protagonist?:messenger_open_mouth:
Yep, playing some character named Capt. Leon Ferris.

The main character named Jacob Lee is played by Josh Duhamel.

The cute ass Karen Fukuhara plays a character named Dani Nakamura.

Last edited:

Generic

W..what? It’s survival horror game, how it’s being scary is pretentious exactly?
Games aren't scary, especially when they rely on tropes and cliches (99% of horror games)

The reason Resident Evil 4 was so fun was because Mikami ditched the "scary" away

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Games aren't scary, especially when they rely on tropes and cliches (99% of horror games)

The reason Resident Evil 4 was so fun was because Mikami ditched the "scary" away
No game can no longer truly “scares” us it can give us intense experience like always been on your feet and resource management, that what survival horror is about.

So I would say keep survival horror.

Macattk15

Is this Dead Space? Did they even try? Admittedly this is the first time I've looked into anything about this game.

edit : Oh. Spiritual Successor and original creators. Paying B List actors to voice characters. Got it. Meh.

Last edited:

Arachnid

What? There are plenty of horror games that nail the "scary" aspect. Horror games are at their best when they go 100% in on horror. I don't play horror games for "fun". I play them to get that feeling of pushing deeper and deeper into an overwhelming, scary, and hopeless situation with a brutal outcome. I have never felt overwhelmed, terrified, or hopeless in RE4. It's a fun little power fantasy game, but barely deserves to be included in the horror genre. I say that as someone who considers RE4 his all time favorite game period (well, tied with SH2).

Never seen anyone say horror games should ditch the horror and just be "fun". Insane. Maybe proper horror games just aren't for you man.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What? There are plenty of horror games that nail the "scary" aspect. Horror games are at their best when they go 100% in on horror. I don't play horror games for "fun". I play them to get that feeling of pushing deeper and deeper into an overwhelming, scary, and hopeless situation with a brutal outcome. I have never felt overwhelmed, terrified, or hopeless in RE4. It's a fun little power fantasy game, but barely deserves to be included in the horror genre. I say that as someone who considers RE4 his all time favorite game period (well, tied with SH2).

Never seen anyone say horror games should ditch the horror and just be "fun". Insane. Maybe proper horror games just aren't for you man.
Horror games are fun but different fun, every genre presents its own type of fun.

I really like the *raw* brutality. It reminds me of how the original GOW series made me feel at the time. I hope the whole package turns out great.

Watching these really brings home how much work is going into this game. Visually it's top level stuff but the audio is exceptional, I think this could be an instant horror classic.

Right? I've got a 3080-led PC and a PS5. I go PC unless:

A) the game is multiplayer and my Playstation-having buddies bought it on PS
B) it's exclusive to the Epic Store, or
C) it has widespread, verified poor performance on PC
So i'm guessing you are getting it on pc ! I have a 3060 5600X , the ps5 will be 4k , i'll probably jave to play at 1080 or 1440 with my pc everything maxed out

CyberChulo

The games that made me feel uneasy growing up were Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Resident Evil 1 and 2.
When Dead Space came along, I loved it for the graphics, sci-fi setting and cool combat. There were jump scares that got me that not a feeling of dread. Let's see what kind of feeling Callisto Protocol will get from me.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
The games that made me feel uneasy growing up were Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Resident Evil 1 and 2.
When Dead Space came along, I loved it for the graphics, sci-fi setting and cool combat. There were jump scares that got me that not a feeling of dread. Let's see what kind of feeling Callisto Protocol will get from me.

I mostly forgot DS1 but in 2 where you revisit the Ishimura had me shook.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Right? I've got a 3080-led PC and a PS5. I go PC unless:

A) the game is multiplayer and my Playstation-having buddies bought it on PS
B) it's exclusive to the Epic Store, or
C) it has widespread, verified poor performance on PC
RTX 3080.
PC all the way.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Can’t wait to see if they’ve “mastered” it. Bold claim for anyone into this genre.
Horror is so subjective. How can they "master" it? Even something like the movie Hereditary, which i think is about as close as anyone's gotten, probably makes some people laugh instead of scared to walk around their house at night like it did to me

Edit: sorry, I don't expect an answer. I'm hyped for this game but doubt they've "mastered" it and its all marketing talk

Last edited:
Top Bottom