• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol underperformed expectations

Draugoth

Gold Member

SEOUL, Jan. 13 (Yonhap) - Krafton [259960]'s new "Callisto Protocol," which was released last month at a cost of about 200 billion won ($160 million) over three years, is observed to badly influence its future performance due to sales shortage.

Daishin Securities, Samsung Securities, Shinhan Securities, KIWOOM Securities, Korea Investment & Securities, and Hyundai Motor Securities have lowered their target stock prices of Krafton from last month to early this month, according to securities industry on Friday.

As the main reason, securities companies have stated the failure of the Callisto Protocol, which was launched on December 2 last year.

Samsung Securities [016360] predicted in a stock report earlier this month, "The company expected cumulative sales of 5 million copies, but considering the current sales ranking, cumulative sales of 2 million copies will not be easy until this year.

Korea Investment & Securities also lowered its cumulative sales estimate of the Callisto Protocol from 4 million to 2.1 million on the previous day, and lowered its operating profit estimate for this year from 813 billion won to 629.3 billion won

Gamers' reviews are also negative. Although graphics and sound technology are excellent, the length of the game is too short to be cleared in about seven to eight hours, and the stage formation is also simple.

Callisto Protocol is receiving a “Mixed” (61% positive evaluation) evaluation from users on the global PC game platform “Steam,” as of the previous day.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Expecting Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

The writing was on the wall.

Never diss dead space.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
In the true words of the developer

The Callisto Protocol developer, Striking Distance Studios, considered adding its upcoming horror game to Xbox Game Pass, but "as a single-player linear game, it's really hard to be successful in those types of services."​

They could have had the same success as high on life. But chose to risk it.

Last edited:

damidu

the game had all the hype and a hungry fan base of the genre lined up to be a huge success.
all they needed to do was delivering a good product.

WoJ

Am I reading it right that they expected 5 million in sales, actually sold 2 million and still consider it a failure? 5 million seems insane for a game to succeed. I know it isn't impossible and many games do, it just seems like if that's the bar for all new IPs...that seems unrealistic.

gothmog

Gold Member
The launch performance problems really killed the word of mouth. I still haven't picked it up and I was planning on playing on PS5 which didn't have the issues. Just figured it was not worth rewarding when they launch like that.

feynoob

Banned
Am I reading it right that they expected 5 million in sales, actually sold 2 million and still consider it a failure? 5 million seems insane for a game to succeed. I know it isn't impossible and many games do, it just seems like if that's the bar for all new IPs...that seems unrealistic.
If a game cost $160m, then you need 5m or more to break even.
5m copies at $65 average price ($60 and $70), you get around $227.5m after 30% cut. That is just $ sales, not counting other region sales.

So pretty much, you need 5m or above to get your investment back.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The launch performance problems really killed the word of mouth. I still haven't picked it up and I was planning on playing on PS5 which didn't have the issues. Just figured it was not worth rewarding when they launch like that.
This is stupid. Why would you punish ps5 sale because pc version had issues? So you are never buying a game again?!

The game is just bad but you didn’t play it for all the wrong reasons

Arsic

Gold Member
Wow turns out shimmying 400 times sideways , crawling through vents, etc isn’t an actual game.

Wait you mean combat and enemies that never do anything more than bore you to death isn’t a winning formula ?

Surely it had great scares and atmosphere ? Oh … it didn’t ?

Glen needs to retire and go make mobile games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Imagine what the budget for a big first party AAA IP game must be if this was 160 million dollars.

Also, the launch was a shit show and it didn't review well. So unfortunately, its gonna be a flop. Next time, sort your PC and other versions and not just prioritise one platform.
Gta4 was 100mil. Ground breaking graphics, physics, tons of celebrity voice actors, huge campaign, multiplayer.

Game dev prices and dev times are insane now

Neff

The comparisons and overt references to Dead Space did it a disservice. It's not Dead Space, even though it thinks it is.

My only complaints are that it was too short and too repetitive. That said, I don't regret my purchase one bit. I had a great time and I would love a sequel.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
One of the better 2022 releases.

You're lovely but you've got lots of problems. No NG+ on day one actually hurt replay value. Not the only thing hurting the game...

EDMIX

Expecting Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

The writing was on the wall.

Never diss dead space.

Agreed.

I saw that shit coming around the corner.

I was like "omgz...wooooooooooow"

jesus-shocked-face-hp9yb07i585ns622.gif

DRM
Season Pass
mtx with fucking animations
No free next gen version like we've seen from other publishers
shit no upgrade path for next gen at all.

Why anyone was trying to force this fake fucking narrative that they were some how the good guys in all this was beyond me.

Telling folks the content isn't done yet, "shit no worries, but pay for the REST OF THE GAME we are not done making bro" isn't going to make anyone feel better. Not when its literally an exact amount of animations lol

I haven't cancelled a pre-order in YEARS and this was one of those pre-orders that i just had to let go. It got worse day by day with all the damage control and excuses people kept trying to make for them.

Top Bottom