• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Callisto Protocol underperformed expectations

Hugare

I'm sad, but it was expected

I loved the game, and will never understand some of the reviews. The game was far from perfect, but watch the DS remake having many of the same problems and reviewers giving it a pass.

The franchise is dead, and this one will be remembered as a cult classic later on, mark my words.

Pouring one for my homie tommib tommib that also loved the game but isnt here to defend it anymore

Rip Pour One Out GIF

winjer

Gold Member
Selling 2 million copies for such a bad game is still an impressive achievement.

But how did they waste 160 million dollars making this game? The graphics are good, but asides from that, there is nothing worth while.
They sure didn't spend much money on optimization or gameplay. Even level design was mediocre.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Missed hitting the top 100 games in the UK. It only had a month but still if it sold well it would have cracked it. Wonder where it will place in the December NPD results.

New releases that missed out on the Top 20 include NBA 2K23 (No.22), Gotham Knights (No.25), Saints Row (No.28), Kirby and the Forgotten Land (No.31), Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (No.35), Splatoon 3* (No.38) and Football Manager 2023 (No.45).
Outside of the Top 50, there was Dying Light 2: Stay Human* (No.55), Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection (No.56), Just Dance 2023 (No.57), Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope (No.62), Total War: Warhammer 3 (No.77), Mario Strikers: Battle League Football* (No.80), The Last of Us: Part 1 (No.88) and Need For Speed Unbound (No.98).
Other releases such as PGA Tour 23, The Callisto Protocol, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII: Reunion, Ghostwire Tokyo, Evil Dead: The Game, Rainbow Six Extraction, Marvel's Midnight Suns, Two Point Campus, Sniper Elite 5, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin, Stray and A Plague Tale: Requiem all finished outside of the Top 100.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
200 billion dollars?

Gaming is all but dead.
I just can not grasp, how you came to this 200 billion dollars number. :p

You honestly thought this game cost about the same amount as Microsoft buying Activision Blizzard 3 times over? ;)

Yeah, Callisto Protocol had issues at launch and I really enjoyed the game, but I think more things affected Callisto Protocol than technical issues and mixed reviews. I said it once and I’ll say it again. There are simply too many games releasing on a consistent basis and Callisto Protocol was probably affected by this as well especially at $70. Notice how fast many games high profile or not drop in price nowadays.

Last edited:
Nice visuals but it doesn't hide the fact that the gameplay is boring and repetitive.

Add in the DRM, broken launch, and the mtx animations and result shouldn't be surprising.

EDMIX

Nobody cares about that, that's not the reason why a game underperforms.

You forgot this /s

Ain't no way bruv, ain't no fucking way those are not reasons to skip a game lol

I literally canceled a pre-order of this game because of those reasons so....yea, that is a solid reason why such a game might not sell, I didn't buy it for the exact reasons listed so......yea

I can only wonder how many others didn't buy it as the days went buy and it was like bad news after bad news. I felt in my soul this was going to be a bad one.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's kinda sad but yea, anyone who has played any of the first 3 Dead Space games in recent memory would know that Glen appreciates production value but when it comes to gameplay, it's just Doom 3 monster closets ad nauseum. That's not a knock against DS, the games all play well but they are total one-note experiences.

I still plan on getting Callisto at some point but I never felt any urgency to get it at launch.

EDMIX

I still plan on getting Callisto at some point but I never felt any urgency to get it at launch.

I did....until all the bad news about that game kept coming out.

I'll still plan to pick it up, but no more then $20 and maybe after that DLC is done or something like that. Its been a while since I seen some scummy shit like trying to lock away animations thru mtx

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
2 million in one month for a brand new IP isn’t anything to scoff at though.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Callisto Protocol. Played until I got the platinum. Fun times.

I’m glad reviewers don’t sway me in any way. Fuck the nay-sayers.
I would have agreed with you here. But the issue is the cost of making this game.
That price makes these figures bad. The game made less than $90m from its initial investment. That is a bad outlook for a new game, which costed up to $160m to make.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don't preorder games now but if this had reviewed better, I'd probably have picked it up.

I'm not sure if they're still updating it, but if they are I might pick it up later if they can fix the combat, which I gather is a bit poor.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Voted with my wallet. $70 games while companies post record profits means they can get fucked. I'll catch this shit when it's $20 on sale.

Foilz

Banned
I got the game free from amd rewards and I absolutely love it. It looks beautiful and runs smoothly, no issues for me on my PC.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So it's expected to under perform but there is no numbers so they don't actually know....
Surely there must be numbers by now.

Wait it did 2 Million in one month?!
that's actually good

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
combat was average at best. finished the game on hardest difficulty, its an ok game.

Im surprised at the budget as the level design and enemy/boss variety is very lacking here.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
In the true words of the the developer

They could have had the same success as high on life. But chose to risk it.
"success" can mean alot of things.

It would need to see how much Microsoft willing to spend to bring this game into gamepass.

Player count mean shit for 3rd party devs.

Beechos

I can see how the focus on melee pretty much destroyed alot of peoples desire to play this game. I enjoyed it overall, good 1st effort besides the gfx everything else was pretty average.

Last edited:

YuLY

I dont understand how a 10h game with repetitive looking locations and like 20% of the game made of crawling through vents (no its not exaggerated) can cost 160mil. I just dont understand.

Meanwhile we probably got Evil West which was made for like 5mil at most. Sure it doesnt look as good, but it sure was more fun imo. This industry is insane.

feynoob

Banned
"success" can mean alot of things.

It would need to see how much Microsoft willing to spend to bring this game into gamepass.

Player count mean shit for 3rd party devs.
$50m could have helped them alot right now, with far wider reach mouth to mouth.

MS isnt just compensating them with userbase. they are also paying them money upfront, which would have helped them offset some of those failures.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Kinda of a niche genre with a new ip and and insane 160m budget ofc.

This game should have been made on 40m
Gaming had become a pretty economically irresponsible investment, these producers should know when and where to go over the top and when and where not.

That's what happen when they put too much effort on technology and graphics and let other stuff unattended.

AA is where it is at, they cannot oversell graphics that much, they have to balance the experience in order to get as many customers happy as possible.

GHG

Gold Member
I was really interested in this prior to release but the botched PC port made me decide to wait until it hits bargain bin prices. Hopefully it will be fully patched up by then and I can get all the eventual DLC included.

It's a shame because the game looked to have so much promise. Hope they get the opportunity to learn from this and have another stab.

radewagon

I know it's not the crux of the problem, but if you're launching a new IP, maybe don't have the most boring character design ever and then have the main marketing image be just that boring-looking character being, like, I dunno, tired? It's like it was designed by AI specifically to be overlooked by the masses.

KEhNDER.jpg

Simply awful.

160 million dollars? Just how?
This is the real question? How? Why? Really did this thing need to cost usd160m?? The industry really needs to sit down and analyse why budgets are ballooning, and thus leads to so high sales expectations. Reign in your budgets, industry! But I guess the same problem is rampant in the movie making business as well...

baphomet

1000% deserved

Don't release completely broken games. I would have bought it had it worked as it should. But when a 4090 can't even maintain 60fps, you need to delay it and fix your fucking game.

This is the real question? How? Why? Really did this thing need to cost usd160m?? The industry really needs to sit down and analyse why budgets are ballooning, and thus leads to so high sales expectations. Reign in your budgets, industry! But I guess the same problem is rampant in the movie making business as well...
The people up top don't have creative minds, talent, these toys we call video games are not impacting the Human and God species enough to warrant 160 million dollars in budget. That shit should go to reparations but instead its for a fucking game thats ass

• Empathy
Reactions: amc

Rea

Could have sell more and punished less by media, if it is PS5 time exclusive and took their time porting for other platforms while still earning from PS5' market.

Top Bottom