• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Climb 2 Review

McCheese

My knees are still shaking from playing this earlier today, did the City levels and so far I'm impressed, it's a bit of an 'EA' style sequel in that I'm not really sure it offers all that much actual new content, three of the areas are re-used from the first game (with some graphical touch-ups) so it really just has two new areas and some new routes. They should probably just have taken the original off the store and called this The Climb 2021 edition.

But it's a better game all around, the levels have more interactivity with physics-based elements like swinging ladders and elevators you can grab onto, and the core gameplay has been tweaked a bit to make the camera less shit, half-grips less frustrating to pull off, and a more streamlined tutorial that doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Visually it's a pretty big step up from the first game on Quest (playing on Quest 2) but the trailer is pulling a sneaky, the actual game has quite aggressive foveated rendering so only things directly in front and above you look great, everything else is a pixely mess which makes glancing down to admire your height really disappointing unless you tilt your head down so it goes to the centre of your FOV, and even then it's a good bit off what's in that trailer.

But I feel a bit mean saying it doesn't quite meet the trailer, the visuals it does have are pretty mind-blowing considering it's all coming out of a £300 VR headset with no PC, just a shame they didn't do a PC version of it so people with the link cable can max it all out to get the real trailer experience.

It's a must-have game unless you already have the original game and hated it, it also said It burnt a fuck-ton of calories playing it for a couple of hours which a plus - exercise that doesn't feel like exercise!

Last edited:
This is why VR isn't reaching its potential. If I wouldn't want to do this in a non-VR game, I probably wouldn't in VR either.

Give us more REAL games that are made for VR. Half-life Alyx, Astrobot Rescue Mission, Moss, etc.

Wonko_C

This is why VR isn't reaching its potential. If I wouldn't want to do this in a non-VR game, I probably wouldn't in VR either.

Give us more REAL games that are made for VR. Half-life Alyx, Astrobot Rescue Mission, Moss, etc.
Everyone is different. VR makes me want to try games and genres I would have never touched if they were non-VR.

Last edited:

McCheese

Each to his own I suppose, I have a terrible fear of heights so could never climb, let alone free solo climb. Being able to do it in VR is like living an alternative life for an hour-or-so.

Today for example I watched some VR180 videos of Tokyo train rides on YouTube, then climbed for about 90 minutes in Climb 2, then watched a movie with some friends in Bigscreen VR. None of which I could have done outside of VR (at least not today).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

stop promoting sony dude

Top Bottom