• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Coalition is Hiring for a Gears of War Game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a job posting on Microsoft's career page, The Coalition is currently looking for a Senior Gameplay Designer specifically for Gears of War. Whether it's Gears 6 or a spin-off like Gears Tactics is still a question, but for sure, the IP is for the Gears franchise. The job posting indicates that the candidates should have experience in "Character, Camera, and Controls" (3Cs) and artificial intelligence systems. This isn't the first time The Coalition listed an open job for a Gears of War project, as it also did so in July 2022.

screenshot-2023-03-01-113351.jpg

anthony2690

Banned
he's right u know

coalition botched gears heavily. they cannot grasp the soul of the series

better go on with a new ip
Gears 5 is personally my fave game in the series.
Chapter 1, 2 & 4 are great.
Hivebusters was excellent too.
& The multiplayer is easily my fave in the series with 67+ days playtime.

Chapter 3 was a low point with all the backtracking in the desert, especially in repeated playthroughs.

Hopefully they don't try focus on modes people really don't care for this time (arcade Vs mode, just a waste of resources)

Can't wait for gears 6 myself.

Last edited:
Gears of Wars 1 and 2 was awesome (minus the graphics that had clearly the piss/shit Filter to the max) i played them last year and they were great delight, 3 didn't pulled me so i dropped it. Hopefully they can make a great game again.

he's right u know

People that say this stuff are such bullshitters and/or probably don't even like Gears.

Even Cliffy B can't actually explain what Gears has been missing..much less people spouting this surface level crap like '"its missing soul" and "heart."

The series has been just fine..and if Hivebusters is any indication, the next entry should be better than ever.

This game and Halo need a break. I only made it to the snow area on Gears 5 and kind of just gave up. Unless it's an overhaul of the game (which it definitely won't be) then I'm not interested. Although I'm sure there's a crowd of you out there that are all over this.

Played Gears 1 and 2 on 360 back in the day. Gears 4, 5 and hive busters on series x last year. They were awesome. The story is as cheesy as ever but the gameplay was spot on throughout. The openworld of 5 was a neat idea, but I really enjoyed the concise level structure and intense action of of hivebusters afterwards.

Looking forward to some more... a major reason I went Xbox. Interested to see where they go with it. Not been dissapointed so far.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Gears 5 is personally my fave game in the series.
Chapter 1, 2 & 4 are great.
Hivebusters was excellent too.
& The multiplayer is easily my fave in the series with 67+ days playtime.

Chapter 3 was a low point with all the backtracking in the desert, especially in repeated playthroughs.

Hopefully they don't try focus on modes people really don't care for this time (arcade Vs mode, just a waste of resources)

Can't wait for gears 6 myself.
Imo 3 and 4 are equally bad for different reasons. Maybe bad is bad word. Worse than others. Third has problems with how campaign is designed . Not only with backtracking but also with changing perspective between multiple teams (really not fan of that) and fourt in places felt like totally different game (first act and tower defence episodes) and there was something not right with shooting (enemies felt way to bullet spongy, especially snatchers), but some levels like ones with storm or attack plane sequence were some of best in series.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Imo 3 and 4 are equally bad for different reasons. Maybe bad is bad word. Worse than others. Third has problems with how campaign is designed . Not only with backtracking but also with changing perspective between multiple teams (really not fan of that) and fourt in places felt like totally different game (first act and tower defence episodes) and there was something not right with shooting (enemies felt way to bullet spongy, especially snatchers), but some levels like ones with storm or attack plane sequence were some of best in series.
I think all the games have a less than stellar part in the campaign that slogs a bit tbh.

Or maybe a particular bit I'm not too keen on, like you mention, horde sections what both 4 and have judgment have at times.

I really didn't like the vehicle section on gears 2 at all.

Gears 3 I remember not enjoying much at all, multiplayer wise. (Retro Lancer ruined the multiplayer, especially as it was a load out weapon) & I can't really remember much of the campaign, despite beating it 2 or 3 times back in the day. 🤷‍♂️

Gears 1 campaign is just painfully dull/boring to replay (great when it came out though at launch though)

I don't think any of them are bad games overall though.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Never been a fan of Gears, I’ve tried to get in to it several times but it just never clicks.

I’d love to see Coalition do something else, they seem to really know their stuff. I’m sure the next Gears will be another looker.

Riky

$MSFT
People that say this stuff are such bullshitters and/or probably don't even like Gears.

Even Cliffy B can't actually explain what Gears has been missing..much less people spouting this surface level crap like '"its missing soul" and "heart."

The series has been just fine..and if Hivebusters is any indication, the next entry should be better than ever.
Yeah Hivebusters was the best single player content since Gears 2 and the Gears 5 multiplayer was the best ever, especially on Series consoles at 120fps, just amazingly fluid and responsive.

SRTtoZ

He's sort of right. Is Gears 4 and 5 fun? Yes. But there are serious issues. Firstly, when Gears 5 came out I went back and played them in order and you notice once you get to Gears 4 that all of the weighty-ness of the first 4 games is completely gone. The newer ones have ZERO weight to them and I miss that CHUNKINESS in feel and sound that the previous games had. Secondly, Gears has been done to death. After Uncharted 4 people were begging for ND to do something different. Now with Last of Us 3 in development (allegedly), people again are crying about how ND should do something different. Yet, MS can put out 10 Gears games, 10 Forzas and how many Halos and people are like, YESSS! LES GOOO! Do I enjoy the games? Yes. Would I rather play a new IP from those developers? Most definitely. I will stlil play a new Gears/Halo game any day of the week just like I would play a new Uncharted but it's really time for MS to mix it up, especially with the downward trend of their IP's popularity.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gears either needs a full on overhaul with fresh mechanics - or put it on ice and create something new for a change.

Gears 4 sucked badly, and Gears V was a snooze fest until the very end where it finally picked up. Both games are mind numbingly shallow, and the horror aspect has been gone for some time now.

Always loved Gears. Gears 5 was pretty decent with exception of some of the level design stuff. Multiplayer was absolute ace though and had ton of content.

I do believe though that the franchise needs a formula shake up similar to God of War. Problem is, it would be hard to do thst for a Gears game.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I honestly thought Gears 6 would be quite far along now. Suppose gears 5 was September 2019 so it's not that long ago....Man I wish Dev cycles were 3 years still.

I guess they spent the last year or 2 helping get unreal 5 engine ready for the other studios at Microsoft. They are also lending assistance to undead labs.

Gaiff

Gold Member
he's right u know

Seriously, the 6th (7th) in the franchise? Stop making sequels at least and make standalone stories because your writing is mediocre as shit.

They could just make different games set in the Gears universe which is a pretty great and creative not to mention unique setting. More story with JD, Dell, and that bunch of lame soldiers just doesn't interest me.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Don't know about the soul and am no armchair ceo also. All people know is the game isn't as great as the original and need something more.
The What, is the job of developers to find out.

I could go for more gore. The lack of blood splash and hit registration on enemies bodies did felt a step back but idk. That's when I love literally anything that is cover based TPS.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I want more Gears Tactics! I hope it did well enough for them to make a sequel and to expand it out to have things like base building.

GymWolf

Gears either needs a full on overhaul with fresh mechanics - or put it on ice and create something new for a change.

Gears 4 sucked badly, and Gears V was a snooze fest until the very end where it finally picked up. Both games are mind numbingly shallow, and the horror aspect has been gone for some time now.
Horror has been gone since gears 1, the best in the series.

Top Bottom