• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE COALITION MOVING TO NEXT-GEN DEVELOPMENT, UNREAL ENGINE 5

bitbydeath

No, I'm not. People said it wouldn't run on anything besides ps5. Then the narrative switched to it not being able to run at that quality and resolution. You know, the constant change of goalposts that y'all normally do. Now that I've proven y'all wrong, y'all try and change the goalposts again on what was said. Smh I can't with y'all 😂😂😂😂.
That second post you mentioned said demo, not engine. I think you’re just remembering wrong.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Well, the first few people already started talking about the PS5 without any reason. Looking at them, they are not PS fans. And you should start coming with facts other then act butthurt around here.

You have a problem with the fact that the demo was shown on the PS5, that's pretty obvious.
i have a problem with anyone who does not understand why they used the ps5 to show an engine that will not be used by the best and most famous Sony studios. money.

plus i have BIG (emphasis on big) problems with the bs Sweeney told about the demo on twitter (against what been told by the engineer)

the PS5 have per se nothing to do with it ..... it will run the engine beautifully like the sx and the pc (where high end PC will run easily everything better than on consoles)....but there are really high chances that the engine showcase will once again (as it always has) be gears by The coalition .. and that's what the thread was about.
I say again the first cross-platform game using UE5 that will run best on PC will ridicule 1 year of these conversations about SSD .. and everyone will scramble for mirrors talking about optimization....but the most smart will come back to talk about gpus

Last edited:

Helghan

Who the fuck said UE5 is exclusive to Sony? Can somebody show a link or a quote? This is a top tier hallucination.

And yes, Xbox can scale it down from 20 million polygons per frame to something manageable like 4-5 million polygons per frame to run the same demo.
Who the fuck said UE5 has to scale down the number of polygons on Xbox? Can somebody show a link or a quote? This is a top tier hallucination.

reksveks

Who the fuck said UE5 is exclusive to Sony? Can somebody show a link or a quote? This is a top tier hallucination.

Also you can play UE5 demo on a smartphone using only youtube, like that Chinese guy playing it on youtube.

And yes, Xbox can scale it down from 20 million polygons per frame to something manageable like 4-5 million polygons per frame to run the same demo.
Complains about people making an assumption and then goes onto make an assumption

MonarchJT

Banned

Also you can play UE5 demo on a smartphone using only youtube, like that Chinese guy playing it on youtube.

He was screaming while typing it. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
lol why you come to troll with this nonsense and fud?? reported

Last edited:
And that's exactly what I was talking about. No one from epic said anything about scaling the engine down to run on PC or Xbox. Some people are seriously just that insecure about their box, that they feel the need to make up and spread FUD. Pathetic if you ask me.

I just can't wait for this demo to release on PC to shut these trolls up, and for the coalition to release their next beast! Gears has always been the highlight of the unreal engine, and this will continue on with UE5, as well as several other games to come.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I dunno M MonarchJT , i really have a feeling if this was shown on the XSX. None of you would have a problem with it and with Sweeny. You are making it rather clear that you almost have nightmares that this had been shown on the PS5 and that Sweeny spoke highly of the PS5. That Sony has made an investment is for both the film and game industries.

Just get over it.

Last edited:
The very fucking THIRD post of this thread.

Not only that, read the thread title! An article and thread had to be made just to point out it's coming to Xbox as well lol. You guys are so bad at trolling, it's not even funny. If you make it past the second post, keep reading 😉.

Also, this thread has a bunch of it,

Enjoy going through all the pages though. Some of y'all even commented in these threads back then! We're y'all blind or purposely look past it?
Youre off the wazoo. Youre telling me that ANYONE thought that unreal engine 5 would be exclusive to PS5? This isnt even news, its coming to mobile phones too. People were arguing if the DEMO could run on anything else bc Epic made the SSD a huge sticking point. The CEO himself said there wasnt any SSD faster. So along came the argument whether it was marketing or the truth.
Not this fantasy of yours that fanboys think Sony bought exclusive rights to an engine.

Again this isnt even news. It was immediately announced for other platforms when it was revealed.

Youre off the wazoo. Youre telling me that ANYONE thought that unreal engine 5 would be exclusive to PS5? This isnt even news, its coming to mobile phones too. People were arguing if the DEMO could run on anything else bc Epic made the SSD a huge sticking point. The CEO himself said there wasnt any SSD faster. So along came the argument whether it was marketing or the truth.
Not this fantasy of yours that fanboys think Sony bought exclusive rights to an engine.

Again this isnt even news. It was immediately announced for other platforms when it was revealed.
That the demo could not run on Xbox or PC. No need to misconstrue my words. People have denied this demo would be possible at the same or better quality as ps5. Not sure why I have to keep repeating this, pointing out the different threads, etc.

Why is that so hard for you and others to understand?

1) Theres no where did he say the ps5 is maxing out the SSD. Go ahead and find that for me.

2) There no mention of how much data per interval. Go find me that if you can.

3) I never once said the engine is exclusive to Sony... You're definitely off the wazoo to literally get everything considerably wrong. I'm actually impressed!

Anyways, you're getting off topic. Wrong thread, ps5 threads are that way <<<<

Last edited:
Remember when some said you needed the PS5's magical SSD for it to work?

Edit: Also The Coalition's Bad Batch game will be awesome on Unreal 5.
Remember when you just like spewing random words?

“With its full launch in late 2021, Epic says UE5 will support next-generation consoles, current-generation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android.”

Well damn remember when everyone said PS4 couldnt run the UE5 demo, that you needed the magical SSD?

SLB1904

Banned
You wanna bet my boy ....... You wanna bet. This is what happens when morons don't do any fucking research. -- watch the video also yes people on Twitter are toxic anything else you want me to clap cheeks with? Or you want to throw some hands, my boy.

Is that you. He surely sound salty as hell. And nothing there said the unreal engine 5 cant tun on xbox? But is just talking about the demo isnt possible on xbox. What a waste of time

That the demo could not run on Xbox or PC. No need to misconstrue my words. People have denied this demo would be possible at the same or better quality as ps5. Not sure why I have to keep repeating this, pointing out the different threads, etc.

1) Theres no where did he say the ps5 is maxing out the SSD. Go ahead and find that for me.

3) I never once said the engine is exclusive to Sony... You're definitely off the wazoo to literally get everything considerably wrong. I'm actually impressed!

You should have just said the UE5 demo instead of the actual engine from the start

Would have saved you the tantrum

Last edited:

Kev Kev

... what the hell is this thread?

Developer: Hi Xbox fans, we're now developing exclusively for next-gen. We'll be using the latest version of the nearly-ubiquitous game engine we've always used. We can't wait to show you what we're working on!

XboxGAF: OMFG MULTI-PLATFORM GAME ENGINE ISN'T EXLSUIVE TO PLAYSTATION! FUCK YOU SONY-PONYS! HAHAHA!
SonyGAF: Oh you silly green peasants. If you think your little console can match Cerny's SSD you've been bamboozled; only the PlayStation 5 can do [insert technical ignorance here]. Of course, all of these games will be on PlayStation anyway, because Microsoft simply cannot afford to have exclusives - they need Sony's install base to make up for the Bethesda purchase, or Microsoft will have no choice but to file for bankruptcy.

Normal human beings: Cool, can't wait to see what they pull off with the new tech!
Agreed. It’s pathetic.

You should have just said UE5 demo instead of the engine from the start

Would have saved you the tantrum
I've said demo, countless times... as matter a fact, I've said demo at least 15 times in this thread. Maybe you should have read the words of my sentences, and we wouldn't be having this conversation? Not sure why you guys keep bringing up ps5 in an Xbox thread? Kinda weird right?

SLB1904

Banned
So again, can you provide i/o throughput? You seen to keep avoiding this specific thing. If ps5 will handle it better than PC, does this mean movie producers are gonna throw out their PC to make movies on ps5 going forward? Game devs gonna throw away all their hardware, and develop on ps5? You can't even access Google.com on it. Let's get serious for once.
Jesus christ you dumb.

I've said demo, countless times... as matter a fact, I've said demo at least 15 times in this thread. Maybe you should have read the words of my sentences, and we wouldn't be having this conversation? Not sure why you guys keep bringing up ps5 in an Xbox thread? Kinda weird right?

No, you were talking about the UE5 engine itself in your first post in this thread

If you weren't, then that's just an unfortunate fault with your communication skills

It is kinda wierd, so i'd recommend you stop instigating people to do so and it wouldn't happen as often

Last edited:
No, you were talking about the UE5 engine itself in your first post in this thread

If you weren't, then that's just an unfortunate fault with your communication skills

It is kinda wierd, so i'd recommend you stop instigating people to do so and it wouldn't happen as often
My first post was obviously imitating you guys. It's obvious as ever, especially with the words in quotation marks, followed by the neckbeard pictures... You can't be that dense? Basic common sense would go a long way sometimes.
People bring ps5 in xbox threads when you bring ps5 to xbox threads.
I simply made a comment that you guys constantly made in several previous threads, and I never mentioning ps5 initially. Some people got triggered cause they were guilty of making those same comments, and quoted me... Not sure why it's hard for you guys to read between the lines or just use common sense sometimes.

Follow the thread Oddvintagechap Oddvintagechap , I've said demo over 15 times. I did a search.... I know what I said.

Anyways, your off topic as per usual...pm me if you'd like to continue, but stop derailing.

Last edited:
The very fucking THIRD post of this thread.

Not only that, read the thread title! An article and thread had to be made just to point out it's coming to Xbox as well lol. You guys are so bad at trolling, it's not even funny. If you make it past the second post, keep reading 😉.

Also, this thread has a bunch of it,

Enjoy going through all the pages though. Some of y'all even commented in these threads back then! We're y'all blind or purposely look past it?
This whole post you replied to people saying the engine wasnt never said to be exclusive.
“An article and thread had to be made just to point out it's coming to Xbox as well lol.”
You aint talking about the demo.
yeah it was you story tellers mentioning how EVERYONE was saying UE5 was exclusive to PS5. But seeing all the inconsistencies and nonsense youre spewing. Go wander around the garden and yank leafs along the way.

SLB1904

Banned
I simply made a comment that you guys constantly made in several previous threads, and I never mentioning ps5 initially. Some people got triggered cause they were guilty of making those same comments, and quoted me... Not sure why it's hard for you guys to read between the lines or just use common sense sometimes. Anyways, your off topic as per usual...pm me if you'd like to continue, but stop derailing.
I didnt say it was specifically you. You just butt in lol

My first post was obviously imitating you guys. It's obvious as ever, especially with the words in quotation marks, followed by the neckbeard pictures... You can't be that dense? Basic common sense would go a long way sometimes.

So you admit your first post was to get a reaction out of the PS guys then? To start the derailment basically?

I'm simply here as a parent to discilpline the child, but we can't get anywhere until you admit that you've been a naughty boy

Apologise to your PS friends so we can move on

kuncol02

Banned
i really want see that GPU working with 22gb/s data hahaaha when is dropping frames in old gen games already (and this is valid for all next gen consoles) . albeit excellent people should really realize what kind of hw we are getting for 499 dollars
GPU is still not ottleneck there, game size is. With 22gb/s you have like 10s of unique data before you run out of space on disk. If only 10% of data being unique that's 100s and where is rest of game?

MonarchJT

Banned
GPU is still not ottleneck there, game size is. With 22gb/s you have like 10s of unique data before you run out of space on disk. If only 10% of data being unique that's 100s and where is rest of game?
everything about that 22gb/s is misleading first and foremost as you said the game data size..second the GPU power ...

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
They claimed there were things happening with the demo made only possible with the speed of the PS5 SSD. That was Epic's claim anyway.

They also claimed the GPU wasn't taxed in that demo, and it was a result of how Nanite and Lumen are designed.

So that would make sense IF they were telling the truth, that what we saw in that demo was currently only possible on PS5 since PS5 has the best I/O implementation on the market right now. The focus on that by Sony, it seems, wasn't an accident.
That's from official Epic documents from Apple case (it's about Fortnite crossplay):
"Epic goes out of its way to make Sony look like heroes.
How anyone can trust any info from Epic especially about promotional materials.

Shmunter

They claimed there were things happening with the demo made only possible with the speed of the PS5 SSD. That was Epic's claim anyway.

They also claimed the GPU wasn't taxed in that demo, and it was a result of how Nanite and Lumen are designed.

So that would make sense IF they were telling the truth, that what we saw in that demo was currently only possible on PS5 since PS5 has the best I/O implementation on the market right now. The focus on that by Sony, it seems, wasn't an accident.
That’s what the demo was designed around, I/o throughput.

Direct epic quote, easily obtained with Google for kids not afraid to look…

"The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It's so impactful that we've rewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind."

Essentially Unreal 5 takes advantage of mass data streaming. The lower the streaming ability, the more constrained that part of the engine. Basic logic, basic scalability.

Banjo64

cumsessed

"The ability to stream in content at extreme speeds enables developers to create denser and more detailed environments, changing how we think about streaming content. It's so impactful that we've rewritten our core I/O subsystems for Unreal Engine with the PlayStation 5 in mind."

Essentially Unreal 5 takes advantage of mass data streaming. The lower the streaming ability, the more constrained that part of the engine. Basic logic, basic scalability.
They really did a number on some of you.

5wy3mv8-640x462.jpg.webp

MonarchJT

Banned

tell me more about how a PS5 will run ue5 games better than a PC with a 3090 and a Samsung SSD meanwhile i save this post for future hint at what payed pr mean

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
You confuse memory with GPU
no , no I took the case of a PC with a mediocre i/o (but infinite times better gpu) compared to the one used in the PS5 , i/o that should, reading the stuff written to present the ps5 demo, make the PS5 in some way superior ..and starting point for development where all will be scaled down to system with lower i/o. I really can't wait for ue5 multiplats games to put an end to this pr stunt

Last edited:

Shmunter

no , no I took the case of a PC with a mediocre i/o (but infinite times better you) compared to the one used in the PS5 , i/o that should, reading the stuff written to present the ps5 demo, make the PS5 somewhat superior and development center point and then scale down by switching systems. can't wait for ue5 multiplats games
You seem pretty far behind on the topic so I’ll make it as brief as possible…

PS5 has cpu free decompression ability allowing mass data to be pushed from the ssd into GPU ram.

On pc to constantly churn so much data in real-time during gameplay it would literally swamp a CPU and be significantly slower and higher latency. The approach at such high levels is impractical on pc architecture as it is today. This is the core difference.

You can still obviously stream, practically all games do it today even off hdd, it is the massive leap in this ability that epic is touting.

For all intents and purposes, an engine designed around this provides an effect of unlimited ram. You’re welcome.

Last edited:

onesvenus

For all intents and purposes, an engine designed around this provides an effect of unlimited ram. You’re welcome.
Yup, but assuming UE5 is that engine is wrong.
UE5 will work even in smartphones. Assuming they have designed it around something that's only available to one of their target platforms is bonkers.

MonarchJT

Banned
You seem pretty far behind on the topic so I’ll make it as brief as possible…

PS5 has cpu free decompression ability allowing mass data to be pushed from the ssd into GPU ram.

On pc to constantly churn so much data in real-time during gameplay it would literally swamp a CPU and be significantly slower and higher latency. The approach at such high levels is impractical on pc architecture as it is today. This is the core difference.

You can still obviously stream, practically all games do it today even off hdd, it is the massive leap in this ability that epic is touting.

You’re welcome.
I understand that my bad English is somewhat misleading but I know very well what the key of PS5 marketing was. But we both know that the PC has more powerful CPUs, VERY more powerful GPUs with more bandwidth and enough cheap ram that can be used also as a cache and more important we also know that a new API is about to be introduced which will increase the capacity of IO requests from a couple of hundreds to saturate the streaming game budget by + or - 50 mb / s of the last gen .. in the thousands (35k+) of requests to saturate the new gen nvme drives .I don't see any chance in the near future for the PS5 (or the Xbox for that matter) to perform better than a PC with ue5 ...this is mainly because the center of computer graphics (although Sony, given the specs of its machine and its strong points, tries to shift the focus) it's always the gpu

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Didn't Tim Sweeney say that the unreal engine 5 demo would be released to the public, or its NDA would be up early 2021 so we could run it on PC?

I guess that got held up due to Covid?

When Unreal Engine 5 is available to the public it'll likely be one of the demo downloads.
But as UE5 is available yet.

Does this mean we’ll be seeing Hellblade 2 at E3? I think it was one of the first games confirmed to be using UE5.
Because the Coalition is developing Hellblade 2?

I understand that my bad English is somewhat misleading but I know very well what the key of PS5 marketing was. But we both know that the PC has more powerful CPUs, VERY more powerful GPUs with more bandwidth and enough cheap ram that can be used also as a cache and more important we also know that a new API is about to be introduced which will increase the capacity of IO requests from a couple of hundred to saturate the streaming game budget by + or - 50 mb / s of the last gen .. in the thousands of requests to saturate the new geng nvme drives .I don't see any chance in the near future for the PS5 (or the Xbox for that matter) to perform better than a PC with ue5 ...this is mainly because the center of computer graphics (although Sony, given the specs of its machine and its strong points, tries to shift the focus) it's always the gpu

That's a fact. Especially when trying to push higher resolutions, the CPU becomes less and less strained, and it's the GPU that becomes pushed. That's why cpu benchmarks are done at like 720p in games.

Md Ray

This is a short and on-point version that basically summarizes the current I/O situation on PC.

IDK why DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong and others are laughing at this post. Care to explain what's wrong/funny with the above quote?

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
This is a short and on-point version that summarizes the current I/O situation on PC.

IDK why DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong and others are laughing at this post. Care to explain what's wrong/funny with the above quote?
directstorage solve ..requests numbers prioritize some requests over others by giving a fine grain control over the calls...allows you to use any kind of decompression (on gpu or cpu) change the model from one-at-time to many-thousands-at-time ....basically don't worry about it PCs will not have any kind of problem to worry about .. people should read more about it

This is a short and on-point version that summarizes the current I/O situation on PC.

Because Sweeney has done this same song and dance several times now. Especially as documents have been leaked. He gets in bed with Sony, says some ridiculous things about consoles/anti PC, and then it all gets debunked, and forums go back to normal.

I personally believe Epic China over Sweeney, specifically on the mention of a pci 3 SSD. Even Nvidia leather jacket man himself, Jensen made comments about laptops with Nvidia GPU's and how they compared to next gen consoles, way before we really knew much about them. It can't be a bunch of coincidences that all point to one thing. It's just ridiculous to honestly believe that PC would be at a disadvantage here, as Sweeney declines to comment on PC vs console in regards to this demo. It would directly breach contact with Sony. Watch how the timed exclusion for the demo gets blown away when it available for download. You don't need my permission to bookmark this post either.

Your first post in this thread is “but but engine exclusive “ ... playing the victim for your console war when nobody on gaf has claimed a 3rd party engine used for 3rd party games was exclusive to one console.

It wouldn’t even make sense.

Md Ray

directstorage solve ..requests numbers prioritize some requests over others by giving a fine grain control over the calls...allows you to use any kind of decompression (on gpu or cpu) change the model from one-at-time to many-thousands-at-time ....basically don't worry about it PCs will not have any kind of problem to worry about .. people should read more about it
I know. The current solution to tackle the decompression issue is to use the GPU's SMs in conjunction with DirectStorage. But using SMs for decompression is taking away resources from game rendering. The impact in gaming perf will surely be there until they come out with a dedicated decompression block in the GPU die similar to consoles.

MonarchJT

Banned
I know. The current solution to tackle the decompression issue is to use the GPU's SMs in conjunction with DirectStorage. But using SMs for decompression is taking away resources from game rendering. The impact in gaming perf will surely be there until they come out with a dedicated decompression block in the GPU die similar to consoles.
in all honesty PC GPU or also cpu have power to spare before it become a bottleneck compared to any console. Let us also remember that there are several solutions to alleviate this problem (storage will never be a problem on PCs) and that by next year NVMe drives faster than the PS5 will be common in the PC world.
I don't know how to turn it ... I have nothing against the (deadly!) speed of the PS5 I/O, but for all that regarding Sweeney, Epic in conjunction with the famous demo I have so many doubts and things to say

having said that the most hilarious thing I've been repeating for months is that 99% of the best Sony studios will not use UE5...Sony needed a nextgen thing to show to hype the console.... the UE5 demo was a perfect fit for it. it worked. also if that engine mean zero for most famous PS5 first party games

Last edited:

Md Ray

Because Sweeney has done this same song and dance several times now. Especially as documents have been leaked. He gets in bed with Sony, says some ridiculous things about consoles/anti PC, and then it all gets debunked, and forums go back to normal.

I personally believe Epic China over Sweeney, specifically on the mention of a pci 3 SSD. Even Nvidia leather jacket man himself, Jensen made comments about laptops with Nvidia GPU's and how they compared to next gen consoles, way before we really knew much about them. It can't be a bunch of coincidences that all point to one thing. It's just ridiculous to honestly believe that PC would be at a disadvantage here, as Sweeney declines to comment on PC vs console in regards to this demo. It would directly breach contact with Sony. Watch how the timed exclusion for the demo gets blown away when it available for download. You don't need my permission to bookmark this post either.
But Shmunter Shmunter didn't say anything about PCIe 3.0 SSD or GPU in that post.

He was screaming while typing it. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:
4-5 million polygons? Just making shit up again I see 🙄

Top Bottom