• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The company that revived the Xbox ‘Duke’ Hyperkin is now bringing back the Xbox 360 controller

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Hyperkin is working on the Xenon, an officially licensed replica of the controller that was originally included with the Xbox 360 when it launched in 2005.

The Xenon, which doesn’t yet have a release date or price, will be compatible with Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One and PC.

It will also be available in four colours: white, black, pink and red.

Because it’s being created with the Xbox Series X/S in mind, the Xenon isn’t a perfect facsimile of the Xbox 360 controller, since some modifications are required.

The Start and Back buttons have now been replaced with the Menu and View buttons seen on a modern Xbox Series X/S controller.

A Share button has also been included in the middle of the controller, ensuring it doesn’t offer less functionality than a standard Series X/S controller.

Each Xenon controller also has a 3.5mm headset jack and is powered by a USB-C cable.

The controller name comes from the Microsoft XCPU, the CPU used in the Xbox 360 console, which was codenamed Xenon.

xbox-xenon-1280x720.jpg
Xenon_Fact_Sheet_11_22_22.jpg

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Oh can't wait to waste money on a worse version of the original 360 controller.

Still have mine 10+ years later and no stick drift. Wanna bet this one will have drift just months after use?

Can you use it on your One / Series consoles? This is clearly for people who enjoy playing BC titles and want that little bit of extra authenticity.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Can you use it on your One / Series consoles? This is clearly for people who enjoy playing BC titles and want that little bit of extra authenticity.
Can't wait to buy one of those every 4 months for the "authenticity"
Seriously, they've even changed the label on the start and back buttons. There goes your "authenticity"

Also, Microsoft has only improved their controllers and hasn't changed the layout of the Xbox controller.
Just play with the most recent one and call it a day. It's basically the same thing, only improved.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Can't wait to buy one of those every 4 months for the "authenticity"
Seriously, they've even changed the label on the start and back buttons. There goes your "authenticity"

Also, Microsoft has only improved their controllers and hasn't changed the layout of the Xbox controller.
Just play with the most recent one and call it a day. It's basically the same thing, only improved.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Authenticity in a sense of controller shape, materials, feel, button placement, sticks, d-pad, you name it. Why would the include start and select if these are not mentioned in system or games UI? Think for a second.

I don't know how durable these will be. What was the durability on their Duke controller? It's rated 4.5 / 5 on Amazon so it can't be that bad.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That d-pad though.....
That best fuycking dpad!!!
I really hope they will make it soft rubber like original.
The clicky microswitch dapd on series controller is a travesty. I hate that thing, it's so loud. I really don't like series shoulder buttons too
The 360 dpad was easy to clean AS A DPAD which you can click by moving thumb around.... not by clicking directions.
ps5 dpad is also pretty good.

I would like to get this. A bit of a shame no 360 compatibility and not wireless... which is weird as 360 was the first major wireless controller

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
How much would it have cost them by using hall effect sticks and a better Dpad?

I literally used my Duke for a few hours before the right stick went to shit and rotated cameras. Twice as long for the left stick to begin pulling me off the road in Forza as if all cars suddenly needed a wheel alignment. Using on console and PC it's totally fucked. The only valuable part that came in the packaging is the super long microUSB cable, which I use to power a MegaSG console.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
How much would it have cost them by using hall effect sticks and a better Dpad?

I literally used my Duke for a few hours before the right stick went to shit and rotated cameras. Twice as long for the left stick to begin pulling me off the road in Forza as if all cars suddenly needed a wheel alignment. Using on console and PC it's totally fucked. The only valuable part that came in the packaging is the super long microUSB cable, which I use to power a MegaSG console.
again. How the fuck are you making a relpica of this thing and putting in another WORSE dpad? the 360 dpad was great and it is a signature feature of that controller. You can't make a replica and change it.
The things you change in replica are inner workings and quality. You can put in hall sticks, usb c and so on but cannot change the feel... because I liked it.

btw - Everyone screaming around about Hall effect stick because of that one youtube video we all have seen.
The video does not explore ANY of the topics regarding this tech. What are the drawbacks, issues, price... maybe it needs recalibration, maybe it demagnetizes, maybe it's maybe it's maybe something.
You really believe sony, nintendo and microsoft have not testes the shit out of these 10 years ago ?

coffinbirth

again. How the fuck are you making a relpica of this thing and putting in another WORSE dpad? the 360 dpad was great and it is a signature feature of that controller. You can't make a replica and change it.
The things you change in replica are inner workings and quality. You can put in hall sticks, usb c and so on but cannot change the feel... because I liked it.

btw - Everyone screaming around about Hall effect stick because of that one youtube video we all have seen.
The video does not explore ANY of the topics regarding this tech. What are the drawbacks, issues, price... maybe it needs recalibration, maybe it demagnetizes, maybe it's maybe it's maybe something.
You really believe sony, nintendo and microsoft have not testes the shit out of these 10 years ago ?
giphy.gif

PhaseJump

Banned

I liked the pad well enough too, but the 360 pad is notorious, so much so that they tried to address it with the rotating one.

The sticks are shit quality and fail easily, it's not Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo we're talking about. It's fucking Hyperkin you dumbass. Peddlers of trash, now licensed with nostalgia bait.

sainraja

Oh I really did not like this controller! Just kidding....it's not my favorite but the controller I really did not like was the Dreamcast controller.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I liked the pad well enough too, but the 360 pad is notorious, so much so that they tried to address it with the rotating one.

The sticks are shit quality and fail easily, it's not Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo we're talking about. It's fucking Hyperkin you dumbass. Peddlers of trash, now licensed with nostalgia bait.
yeah... it's hyperkin, so it kinda has to suck :p

Kilau

Gold Member
I still like the Xbox One controller the best. Series is too loud and the 360 controller while comfortable to hold, has the worst dpad ever imo.

I still like the Xbox One controller the best. Series is too loud and the 360 controller while comfortable to hold, has the worst dpad ever imo.
I traded in all my xbox one contrllers and bought extra Series to replace them. Lots of colors.
Anyway I don't remember but was the XBone controller Dpad as clicky?

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Authenticity in a sense of controller shape, materials, feel, button placement, sticks, d-pad, you name it. Why would the include start and select if these are not mentioned in system or games UI? Think for a second.

I don't know how durable these will be. What was the durability on their Duke controller? It's rated 4.5 / 5 on Amazon so it can't be that bad.
Well, I suppose.

At the end of the day it's a niche product anyway, so it doesn't need to make much sense.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Should have used the rotating d-pad.
1st post nails it. I still use rotating dpad with the official wireless adapter as my main gaming pc controller.

The dpads do break after a while but are easy to change and bought like 10 ov em

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Well, I suppose.

At the end of the day it's a niche product anyway, so it doesn't need to make much sense.

It will sell out very quickly. Nostalgia is hell of a drug. If it would be compatible with 360 I'd buy 5. But it's not. So I won't. Useless for me. I've already found my perfect PC controller.

radewagon

Hate to say it but that thing aged horrible.
Current controller is a timeless masterpiece.
Agreed. Controller nostalgia is weird. All three current-gen controllers (X Series, Dual Sense, and Switch Pro) are absolutely phenomenal. I wouldn't trade them for anything I have used in the past.

JimboJones

I like the form factor and aesthetics of the 360 controller (miss those coloured buttons!) but could never go back to the mushy thing they used for a Dpad

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

The 360 analog sticks are still the best in gaming history - a perfect shorter height and high stick tension.
XB1/Series' analogs are too tall and too loose.

Who gives two shits about the dpad - use another controller for 2d games.
Even if it is a duplicate - I can 1cc dodonpachi and mushihemisami with a stock 360 pad - so it was never that bad.

After all these years ive still never been able to replicate 360 Halo aiming with the XB1/Series controller in Halo Master Chief Collection - this might finally do the trick.
Im on board for this - and hope the stick drift isnt too bad.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What’s the “rotating d-pad”? Honestly all I remember about original 360 controller’s d-pad was that it sucked and most people hated it. Didn’t realize it has such a cult following.

I remember a time when the 360 controller felt like the most comfortable controller that was ever made. I thought there would never be a better controller. And then the Xbox One came out and I thought, this is great, but the 360 was the best. Time went on and one day I found my old 360, grabbed the controller, and I felt like I had the hands of a cripple. I couldn't believe how uncomfortable it now felt compared to the X1 controller. Microsoft has some wizards working for them when I comes to controller design.

And then in a whole other realm, I held an NES controller the other day. That thing is like a medieval torture device with its sharp corners.

Ehhhhh, I understand the Duke. I have big hands, that makes sense. But honestly the Xbox 360 controller is barely different from today. From 360 to now reach controller has been an iteration of the last with improvements added each generation.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
"Today, 17 years ago, the #Xbox360 launched to much acclaim."

Aging Matt Damon GIF

The one/series controller is superior in any way but the build quality though.

BlackTron

Better off using an adapter to use an old one. Needing to be plugged in via USB is kind of a joke...

I really love the 360 controller, but the Series pad is so similar (and better in some ways like d-pad) that it's hard to see this as a problem that needs fixing anyway.

Top Bottom