• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The company that revived the Xbox ‘Duke’ Hyperkin is now bringing back the Xbox 360 controller

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What madness is in this thread? The Xbox 360 has the best Dpad?? Did you only play third person shooters? Microsoft perfected this controller via the XB1 controller.
Yeah I am surprised by these comments. I thought the OG 360 dpad was almost universally hated.

Soltype

Yeah I am surprised by these comments. I thought the OG 360 dpad was almost universally hated.
They couldn't have played fg on any real level.The 360 dpad was poorly designed. They were bad new and got worse. They've had 20 years to make a good dpad and they still haven't followed through 100%.

drganon

I remember liking the 360 controller at the time, but can't go back to it. The xbox one had its problems, but the controller was good and definitely an improvement on the 360.

Banned
What madness is in this thread? The Xbox 360 has the best Dpad?? Did you only play third person shooters? Microsoft perfected this controller via the XB1 controller.

the Xbox 360 controller had a very misunderstood dpad IMO.
especially the later transformable ones.

the 360 controllers with transformable dpads are still IMO the best dpads for fighting games. and not even due to their transform ability, in fact you should leave them in the disc shape setting, it's just that they feel really good in circle motions and if you get used to where your thumb needs to go they feel just super smooth and responsive.

I to this day can't play SF4 on any other dpad to even close to the level I could on 360 transformable dpads.

Banned
Hyperkin's controllers are notoriously low quality, and you can instantly see that with the facebuttons which aren't even made like the OG buttons but instead super cheap with full transparent plastics instead of the non-transparent inlays for the button labels.

GymWolf

Hate to say it but that thing aged horrible.
Current controller is a timeless masterpiece.
The xone one was already worse in build quality compared to the x360 one, did they improved something in the series x one?

It is 40 euros on amazon for the black friday but i heard wildly different opinions about being cheap or not.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So the major advancement of controllers in that generation was going wireless, and yet this thing needs plugged into a USB-C cable to function.

Just lmao.
This is the Core controller. It celebrates the shitty console pack that had no storage and a wired controller compared to the good config that had an HDD and wireless. Just stupid.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Was never a fan, felt cheap, solid but cheap.
But then again going back to the previous Dualshocks they feel cheap now.
Can't imagine how this and the GCN controller would feel today in comparison

Banned
2.4 is flawless.

oh so you use the Switch version on PC?

I'm mainly talking about the Xbox version when used on Xbox.
the Xbox version when used with an Xbox has inaccurate anaglog stick inputs, which aren't that noticeable in most games but are really bad in specific titles.

so far they haven't adressed these issues at all.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
oh so you use the Switch version on PC?

I'm mainly talking about the Xbox version when used on Xbox.
the Xbox version when used with an Xbox has inaccurate anaglog stick inputs, which aren't that noticeable in most games but are really bad in specific titles.

so far they haven't adressed these issues at all.

I’m using it with PC. I like it so much that I’ve sold all my other controllers.

Banned
I’m using it with PC. I like it so much that I’ve sold all my other controllers.

the Xbox version weirdly doesn't have the same inaccurate stick inputs when used on PC.
it's something about their Xbox "mode" that just fucks with inputs.

I in fact tried the controller in the same game on Xbox and then on PC, on Xbox it had the issues and on PC it didn't... fucking weird.

specifically if a game has even the slightest bit of axial slowdown on diagonal inputs (which tbh no game should ever have to begin with) the slowdown is massively increased and more pronounced if you play the game with tha 8bitdo... but again only on Xbox not on PC.

a game where anyone who has the Xbox version of the controller can test this on console is Resident Evil 8. any diagonal camera input will give you ridiculously slow turn speeds with the 8bitdo but not with the original controller.

meanwhile, same game + same controller on PC and the issue is gone.

it's really annoying to have such issues with an otherwise amazing controller

GymWolf

8BitDo Ultimate controller. I like more than V2 Elite. It's so nice.
Is it the one that copy the xbox controller?

I was about to buy it some time ago but the opinions were divised.

Is it weighty and bulky? i have big hands and i hate light controller, just for reference, the xone controller or the switch pro are both too light, ds5 is the bare minimum but i prefer more bulky and heavy.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I didn't like what they did in the changes with the xbox one controller when I first got it but man what an upgrade it was looking back at the 360 controller

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Is it the one that copy the xbox controller?

I was about to buy it some time ago but the opinions were divised.

Is it weighty and bulky? i have big hands and i hate light controller, just for reference, the xone controller or the switch pro are both too light, ds5 is the bare minimum but i prefer more bulky and heavy.

It's this one. It copies the best parts of Xbox Series and Switch Pro controllers. Hall effect sticks are great. D-pad is perfect. 2 back buttons are easy to press.

Size and weight is almost identical to Switch Pro.

8bitdo-ultimate.jpg

Last edited:

FeldMonster

Aren't the Xbox controllers basically all the same?
Is this a serious question? Have you ever held an Xbox controller before? Or even seen images of an Xbox controller before?

There have been a lot of ergonomic and design changes along the way despite the layout being similar.

FeldMonster

So the major advancement of controllers in that generation was going wireless, and yet this thing needs plugged into a USB-C cable to function.

Just lmao.
Microsoft doesn't allow 3rd parties to make wireless controllers...

You expect them to break IP law and get sued? Thats an interesting business strategy.

GenericUser

Is this a serious question? Have you ever held an Xbox controller before? Or even seen images of an Xbox controller before?

There have been a lot of ergonomic and design changes along the way despite the layout being similar.
I have had a 360 and now have a series x, they feel the same but i could be wrong. It's been a long time after all.

Last edited:
Xbox got the controller and the system UI perfected right at the start of the Xbox 360 launch.

Since then, they've kept steadily making both slightly worse with each iteration.
I would not say this for the controller, however I would not say xbox controllers got better or worse since then, they have stagnated, but fixed the d-pad issues.

The UI was just as I would like a console UI to be, simple playful and functional.

Banned
I have had a 360 and now have a series x, they feel the same but i could be wrong. It's been a long time after all.

even the SX and the very similar Xbox One controller feel very different if you compare them side by side.

the 360 has a completely different feel imo in basically every aspect.
thr handles are shaped completely differently, the triggers aren't even comparable and the dpads are also almost polar opposites of eachother

Xbox got the controller and the system UI perfected right at the start of the Xbox 360 launch.

Since then, they've kept steadily making both slightly worse with each iteration.
The Xbox Blades Dashboard for 360 was very cool and unique and something new.

But I'd have to disagree with the Controller part. The controllers are far better now imo. I love the Xbox Series X feel of the controller in your hands. The only thing they are missing is haptic feedback imo.

Dualsense is very good too.

Tams

Gold Member
Legendary ergonomics.

Legendarily shit D-pad and durability.

And no gyro in 2022. Shit on a stick.

GymWolf

It's this one. It copies the best parts of Xbox Series and Switch Pro controllers. Hall effect sticks are great. D-pad is perfect. 2 back buttons are easy to press.

Size and weight is almost identical to Switch Pro.

8bitdo-ultimate.jpg

It looks nice but the switch pro is too light and small for me.

Can you use it wired? And does it work with epic store, uplay and all the pc stores that are not steam? The official xone controller is the only one that work with everything and i substitute because it is falling apart.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It looks nice but the switch pro is too light and small for me.

Can you use it wired? And does it work with epic store, uplay and all the pc stores that are not steam? The official xone controller is the only one that work with everything and i substitute because it is falling apart.

I can check for you. I haven't tried it wired (2.4g is seriously great) or with other store fronts. I'll let you know.

The Xbox Blades Dashboard for 360 was very cool and unique and something new.

But I'd have to disagree with the Controller part. The controllers are far better now imo. I love the Xbox Series X feel of the controller in your hands. The only thing they are missing is haptic feedback imo.

Dualsense is very good too.
It is better than the One. The sticks were a bit too long. Other than that, it's about the same, but I absolutely hate the clicking, especially that d-pad. I also hate the bubbly buttons. Why do they do that?

I guess it's all nit-picking compared to the controllers we've delt with in the past, like the Jaguar controller or even the N64 controller.

It is better than the One. The sticks were a bit too long. Other than that, it's about the same, but I absolutely hate the clicking, especially that d-pad. I also hate the bubbly buttons. Why do they do that?

I guess it's all nit-picking compared to the controllers we've delt with in the past, like the Jaguar controller or even the N64 controller.
See I like the bubbly buttons. I think with controllers it's super down too preference and how annoyed someone can get at the small things.

I never liked the Gamecube controller. I also think Sixaxis/DS3 was am absolute shit controller. Felt way to lightweight and super fragile. The whole sixaxis gimmick was also useless. Didn't like the PS4 controller either. But the Dualsense was a huge improvement.

GymWolf

I can check for you. I haven't tried it wired (2.4g is seriously great) or with other store fronts. I'll let you know.
Yeah, if you can try with all the shops you have installed it would be much helpful.

Does this controller have 2 version? Like one wired and one wireless? Because prices go from 60 to 33 on amazon...

GymWolf

See I like the bubbly buttons. I think with controllers it's super down too preference and how annoyed someone can get at the small things.

I never liked the Gamecube controller. I also think Sixaxis/DS3 was am absolute shit controller. Felt way to lightweight and super fragile. The whole sixaxis gimmick was also useless. Didn't like the PS4 controller either. But the Dualsense was a huge improvement.
We have similar tastes in controllers.

If you like weighty controller the nacon revolution pro v2 was the best i tried in a long time, you can even put small weights inside to make it even more heavier (no need to say i used all of them).

It looks like we are a rare species, most controllers today feel like i can break them if i squeeze too much and they are way too light.

I bet you liked the big ass controlllers for the OG xbox, both the fatso and the S.

Ev1L AuRoN

It's a hard pass for me, I can't deal with that horrendous d-pad. The current design is superior in any way possible.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It looks like we are a rare species, most controllers today feel like i can break them if i squeeze too much and they are way too light.

8BitDo Ultimate might be light but it's as solid as a rock. Nothing is moving inside, like there's absolutely no space left there. Materials are nice to touch and it's just so damn nice to hold.

And does it work with epic store, uplay and all the pc stores that are not steam?

I've tested these games/launchers. It all works perfectly:
  • Ubisoft Connect / Watch Dogs: Legion
  • Epic Store / A Short Hike
  • Origin / Need for Speed Heat
  • GOG / Cyberpunk 2077
Can you use it wired?

I can also confirmed that. I unplugged my 2.4g dongle, plugged it in using my keyboard's USB-C cable and it worked perfectly in Pentiment.

Does this controller have 2 version? Like one wired and one wireless? Because prices go from 60 to 33 on amazon...

There are actually 3 versions that I know of:
  1. Wired
  2. Wireless 2.4g (requires you to connect an included dongle)
  3. Wireless + Bluetooth
I have the 3rd option. This one exactly. The button mapping software is also the best I've seen (comparable to what's on Steam Deck). You can customize the shit out of it. All I do is use the back left paddle as a left stick click and right back paddle as B button but you can do macros and so on. Very cool stuff.

GymWolf

8BitDo Ultimate might be light but it's as solid as a rock. Nothing is moving inside, like there's absolutely no space left there. Materials are nice to touch and it's just so damn nice to hold.

I've tested these games/launchers. It all works perfectly:
  • Ubisoft Connect / Watch Dogs: Legion
  • Epic Store / A Short Hike
  • Origin / Need for Speed Heat
  • GOG / Cyberpunk 2077

I can also confirmed that. I unplugged my 2.4g dongle, plugged it in using my keyboard's USB-C cable and it worked perfectly in Pentiment.

There are actually 3 versions that I know of:
  1. Wired
  2. Wireless 2.4g (requires you to connect an included dongle)
  3. Wireless + Bluetooth
I have the 3rd option. This one exactly. The button mapping software is also the best I've seen (comparable to what's on Steam Deck). You can customize the shit out of it. All I do is use the back left paddle as a left stick click and right back paddle as B button but you can do macros and so on. Very cool stuff.
Thanks dude, if it wasn't so small and light i would be all over it, 33 euros are a fine price.

But the series x controller is just 7 euros more and between small lightweight i just prefer the xbox handling over the switch pro handling.

splattered

These are ugly as sin haha why would anyone want this? I mean i GUESS some kids started out gaming with the 360 generation but do they actually expect these to sell as well as the duke did? (If they did?)

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Thanks dude, if it wasn't so small and light i would be all over it, 33 euros are a fine price.

But the series x controller is just 7 euros more and between small lightweight i just prefer the xbox handling over the switch pro handling.

For that price you might as well just fuck it and buy to try it. Who knows, maybe you'll like it.

Top Bottom