• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The console that makes you feel the most like a gamer?

Hey GAF, wondering what console makes you feel the most like a gamer. Narrow it down to one. For me, without a doubt, it's the Wii U that makes me feel the most like a gamer because the single player games are sublime, the whole Gamepad concept felt next gen in the games that utilized it well, along with Nintendo HD for the first time, and also asymmetric multiplayer in which I'd get my friends together and teach them how to play the various local multiplayer games. It's always been a blast. How about you GAF, any single console that makes you feel the most like a gamer?

Doom85

VR is the arcade reborn

I’m fortunate enough to live in an area in the US that got a Round One arcade. I was worried the pandemic would kill it but returning to it last year the place was just as busy as ever.

Anyway, for my answer, PS2. Even if I think the PS4 gen may have surpassed it for me, the insane amount of solid titles for the PS2 is just overwhelming and it’s easy to still to this day to find a few overlooked gems or ones you forgot about but deserve to be remembered. To put it simply, that gen was:

the simpsons GIF

I’m fortunate enough to live in an area in the US that got a Round One arcade. I was worried the pandemic would kill it but returning to it last year the place was just as busy as ever.

Anyway, for my answer, PS2. Even if I think the PS4 gen may have surpassed it for me, the insane amount of solid titles for the PS2 is just overwhelming and it’s easy to still to this day to find a few overlooked gems or ones you forgot about but deserve to be remembered. To put it simply, that gen was:

the simpsons GIF
PS2 for sure is one of the all time greats!

Every fast paced games that are fun, challenging and has superb gameplay! Does not matter if it is old, new, 2d, 3d, a platformer, beat'em up, hack'em slash, rpg, arpg, well every genre...

Games that try to be a movie, the majority sucks in all departments i posted.
Games with intentional political agenda, its even worse, makes me vomit.

If they want to make a good game with good narrative, like a movie, they should study Silent Hill 2. And this game does not even need a 10 minutes cutscenes or trash conversations riding a horse.

So, every console has good games that is indeed "videogame", its a matter of choice.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Probably the GameCube, the last console I owned where all multiplayer was couch based. Nothing made me feel more like a gamer than when playing against 3 other friends split screen with all the banter. Since the advent of online consoles any gaming sessions organised with friends are over the internet. I used to think that it was a vast improvement because i now had the full screen to myself but now realise that it lost way more than it gained from the switch. Any game where everyone played on the same screen such as Smash Bros Melee was the pinnacle for me.

Every platform that allows you to play games on it makes you feel like a gamer.... whatever the heck that means.

What kind of dumb ass bullshit is this? What does "feel like a gamer" even mean?

If you play games you're by definition a gamer. How might one then feel like a gamer? If I read books, do I somehow feel like a reader? Wut?!?!

Or are you trying to posit that the very cringey and extremely juvenile "real gamer" differentiator is a thing?

If you consider playing videogames as a hobby as part of your identity, then you have real problems. It's a hobby. It doesn't in any way define who you are.... or it shouldn't. Unless you're really a maladjusted person who probably needs to grow up.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The Super Nintendo. Any modern console immediately shatters any of the magic inherent in gaming with every part of the experience (engineered to get you to pay more). I wouldn't go back to the Super Nintendo mind you, but it would be nice to have a system with modern capabilities that is only designed to play game code on an isolated medium (disc in this case I guess).

Hey GAF, wondering what console makes you feel the most like a gamer. Narrow it down to one. For me, without a doubt, it's the Wii U that makes me feel the most like a gamer because the single player games are sublime, the whole Gamepad concept felt next gen in the games that utilized it well, along with Nintendo HD for the first time, and also asymmetric multiplayer in which I'd get my friends together and teach them how to play the various local multiplayer games. It's always been a blast. How about you GAF, any single console that makes you feel the most like a gamer?
I had a Wii U at launch and immediately thought, "I seriously have to play with this crappy tablet??". Once they finally supported the Wii U pro controller with most games, did the Wii U feel like a proper console and not a gimmick.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hail to the king
TpkHV9J.jpg
I can definitely see this.

I didn't game much on the 360 but my friends at work would constantly talk about it. It was always non-stop excitement and I really enjoyed listening to their conversations. Seemed like a truly magical time for XBOX owners, the 360 was killing it with their online capabilities. That was a really fun generation to live through. The zeitgeist of HD visuals and the flame wars on forums, lol. Damn good times.

Remember these?
iu

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
SEGA consoles. All of them.
Xbox OG, Neo Geo CD, Neo Geo Pocket, NES, Gamecube and GBA.

All awesome consoles. Consoles after GC/Xbox OG gen didn't feel the same anymore, but I do love my Wii U.

Last edited:

Shifty

Based on the industry's vision of what a gamer is, whichever one serves the most ads.

So the prize would have to go to Xbox One and its successors, I guess.

Really, the idea of 'feeling like a gamer' in the OP is poorly-defined to the point where everyone is just going to post their favourite console. Mediocre.

Last edited:
If it's a single gaming platform, then it's PC and it's not even close. The widest selection of games; practically infinite backwards compatibility; the best place for retro gaming due to emulation of practically every retro console and amazing visual effects for them (scanlines+shaders for 2D games; higher than native resolution and even widescreen for 3D games; etc).

If it's a console specifically, then it's either the Dreamcast or Wii U. Both consoles have a lot of FUN, gameplay-focused, colorful, engaging games. The Wii U has the additional advantage that, when hacked with Nintendont to play GameCube games natively, it can play games from every single Nintendo console from the NES to the Wii U, and several handhelds as well.

Well, I've gotten several new consoles since, but 3DS is the one I'm still playing daily all these years. I'd say it's probably an amalgam of DS/3DS, as the DS was what really brought me back devoutly into the fold.
Was just talking to a good friend about the 3DS/3D in general, yea the 3DS is a beast! Yet to beat Ocarina of Time 3D and want to get Luigi's Mansion 1 on the 3DS sometime and replay RE Revelations 1 on the 3DS
Probably the GameCube, the last console I owned where all multiplayer was couch based. Nothing made me feel more like a gamer than when playing against 3 other friends split screen with all the banter. Since the advent of online consoles any gaming sessions organised with friends are over the internet. I used to think that it was a vast improvement because i now had the full screen to myself but now realise that it lost way more than it gained from the switch. Any game where everyone played on the same screen such as Smash Bros Melee was the pinnacle for me.
Noice. I had similar experiences with the Wii U as I wrote in the OP. Maybe you'll like asymmetric multiplayer because take ZombiU's multiplayer, one person uses the Gamepad and the other the TV screen so you'd gain the advantage of 1 screen each while playing locally too, the best of both worlds.

Top Bottom