• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The console that makes you feel the most like a gamer?

sainraja

1. PS1.
2. PS2/GC/PC (Warcraft 2/3) — when I was into Warcraft, I pretty much ignored any consoles.
3. PS3 - first console I got at launch.
4. PS5.

PS4 was nice and all but I wasn't as invested into gaming that generation, I was playing a little bit towards the start of it and then kinda came back towards the end, a year or so before the PS5/XSX gen started.

StormCell

My answer is Xbox Series X.

I got it specifically to play Halo Infinite at 144FPS on a gaming monitor with 1ms response time with a wired mouse. My GTX 1060 ran it, but poorly.

The tech makes an incredible difference in my flow of controlling and aiming in the game and makes me geek out to be playing a game in a way I haven't since almost freaking Dreamcast. This is tech making an actual, real difference in gameplay (and not in some niche title, it's Xbox's main flagship game.)

Maybe one day they will add a switch to the Series X that nerfs the res/framerate so that everyone's needs and unique desires can be met in one console. But alas for now, we need two.
I was really enjoying Halo Infinite, and then I got to the boss fight where I'm confined to a tiny space against a big dude with a giant hammer. I'm not in the mood to die 49 times so I can beat him once and move on... It's a very frustrating situation. I should probably leave the ship in search of better weapons because I'm pretty low on ammo, too.

Hail to the king
PSX-Console-wController.png
Amen!!!!

Playing MGS, Toh Shin Den, Tekken, Ridge Racer, oh man....... The memories.. I even had a Waifu vinyl on the damn thing!

Definitely the Xbox 360 when I was heavy in to the Halo and COD scenes.

Halo 3 especially, every lobby was super competitive. I never did get max rank, but I got pretty close.

EruditeHobo

Hail to the king
PSX-Console-wController.png

Amen to that, this is the console that really expanded the hobby for me.

Fighting games became much more than just Street Fighter II, JRPGs blew up and made me obsessed with them for years, the first accessible/console versions of properly cinematic narrative games started being made, action games got amped up with disc tech... just a wonderful thing to experience.

There have been great consoles since, but don't think anything will be able to top PSX for me.

Last edited:
None.

I'm a "gamer" because i play the games i want to regardless of the platform it is on. I've played games on every platform and at least 1 game from every platform has a special place in my heart.

Mr Hyde

Probably Sega Saturn or OG Playstation. PS5 also has that special gaming feel. But I think I'm going with the Saturn. What a beauty of a console 😍

ReBurn

Gold Member
Definitely the Dreamcast but recently the Dualsense has been bringing me back to feeling like I’m having an arcade experience at home.
Can you elaborate? Modern controllers don't remind me of the arcade experience at all, Dualsense least of all. A loose joystick and a few hard click worn out buttons is my arcade experience. Dualsense is a sitting on the couch under a blanket feeling for me.

Top Bottom