• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cricket Thread |OT| GAF don't like cricket, oh Neo, GAF loves it!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Just found out Shane Warne died. Absolutely devastating. He was such an amazing player. RIP.

Bullet Club

pWhyfWF.jpg

Sega Orphan

Banned
The king is dead. Long live the king.
RIP Warnie. If only these non commonwealth plebs on GAF knew just what we lost today.
Thoughts go out to his family and his friends. Shit, we were all friends with him.
Imagine what loss it would be for Basketball if MJ passed. This is it for cricket.

Last edited:

Porcile

Terrible boring tactics from Aus in Pakistan. Cummins seems like a pretty negative captain.

Last edited:

Catphish

I didn't know shit about cricket, but I just watched a 15min video explaining it, and now I know a little shit about cricket.

Seems interesting. I think I understand the basic rules, and I think I wouldn't mind watching a T20 match but, really,..

Y'all need some baseball in your lives. ⚾

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I didn't know shit about cricket, but I just watched a 15min video explaining it, and now I know a little shit about cricket.

Seems interesting. I think I understand the basic rules, and I think I wouldn't mind watching a T20 match but, really,..

Y'all need some baseball in your lives. ⚾
Not just that its the fact that you can play for 5 solid days and nobody has to win.

Catphish

Not just that its the fact that you can play for 5 solid days and nobody has to win.
Yeah I think test cricket and even one-day matches are a bit much for me. But I think it would be fun to go to a T20 match.

I think the general lack of defense and super high run totals are a bit weird. Would still give it a try though, if I can find a live televised match.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
A one dayer is doable and brilliant mate if you get the right weather.

T20 is brilliant as long as you get the right weather - I mean obviously wont play in the pissing rain but sometimes at Edgbaston (Warwickshire for me due to locale) its fucking freezing if its dull and grey.

Day like today (Easter Saturday) would be marvellous in the Eric Hollies stand.

Last edited:

Porcile

Yeah I think test cricket and even one-day matches are a bit much for me. But I think it would be fun to go to a T20 match.

I think the general lack of defense and super high run totals are a bit weird. Would still give it a try though, if I can find a live televised match.

Depending where you're located The ICC have an online streaming service for certain regions where no one buys the TV rights, like in Japan for example. I watched the whole Pakistan Vs Australia series which included Test, ODi and T20 for a 5 dollars I think it was. Right now there aren't any major international series being played as far as I know. Also, you can sometimes get official live streams on YouTube depending on your region.

MastAndo

As a big baseball fan, I noticed Jomboy (a very popular baseball content creator) had started posting some cricket videos. It seemed pretty interesting so I have taken it upon myself to learn the rules and I think I've gotten the grasp of it. I'm watching an Indian Premier League game right now (LSG vs RCB) and am able to follow along with most of what's happening. This sport is...pretty great? I don't think I see myself into getting into Test or any sort of long format matches, but T20 matches/highlights are fun to watch.

One question I had - why is the bowler's run up so long? I get you're trying to generate the most speed on the delivery, but is there really benefit in running from that far away? Is it more a timing thing?...or tradition? I know the form is different in a baseball throw/pitch, but I guess I'm thinking of an outfielder trying to generate extra velocity behind their throw, namely on trying to catch a runner at the plate on a sac fly - it's a few steps into the catch and a crow hop. It just seems like needless exertion.

As a big baseball fan, I noticed Jomboy (a very popular baseball content creator) had started posting some cricket videos. It seemed pretty interesting so I have taken it upon myself to learn the rules and I think I've gotten the grasp of it. I'm watching an Indian Premier League game right now (LSG vs RCB) and am able to follow along with most of what's happening. This sport is...pretty great? I don't think I see myself into getting into Test or any sort of long format matches, but T20 matches/highlights are fun to watch.

One question I had - why is the bowler's run up so long? I get you're trying to generate the most speed on the delivery, but is there really benefit in running from that far away? Is it more a timing thing?...or tradition? I know the form is different in a baseball throw/pitch, but I guess I'm thinking of an outfielder trying to generate extra velocity behind their throw, namely on trying to catch a runner at the plate on a sac fly - it's a few steps into the catch and a crow hop. It just seems like needless exertion.
Bowler run up is individual choice based on style of bowling . Usually fast bowlers run to generate pace. Bowlers are not allowed to bend hand ( throw) like base ball

MastAndo

Bowler run up is individual choice based on style of bowling . Usually fast bowlers run to generate pace. Bowlers are not allowed to bend hand ( throw) like base ball
Right, I know there are different styles and that bowlers can't bend their arms at the elbow like baseball pitchers, but just wondering why pace bowlers run so far. I suppose I'm not convinced running that far of a distance does anything to increase the pace of the delivered ball. The don't seem to be accelerating all the way through the run, rather just hit a certain speed then continue running, so I don't see how it helps with velocity.

Porcile

No official stream of England v New Zealand for us outside of the major countries? Cricket Australia definitely have the edge with whatever deal they have with the ICC for their series. The Pakistan series was a joy to watch. I'll be following Australia instead of England from now I guess.

Top Bottom