• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cricket Thread |OT| GAF don't like cricket, oh Neo, GAF loves it!

MacReady13

Short story- about 10-15 years ago I was in Sydney with my mother (I live in Melbourne) as my godmother passed away. On the way home in the plane I saw the great man himself and built up the courage to say hello to my childhood idol. He snubbed me off completely! I was shattered but understood it was late at night and the guy was more than likely tired and din't want to speak to anyone.
Either way, it never soured my thoughts on him- he was my idol growing up and I loved the way he went about himself. He was also a supporter of my footy team so that helped me love him even more. He was an icon in the greatest period of cricket (IMO). Vale the legendary Dean Jones.

479b8ebdf043686910ab6fccbba74180.jpg

This was one of the most epic matches and epic test series I have witnessed in my life. Greatest comeback victories in a series ever. 36 all out in first test to beating Australia at Gabba where they haven't lost in 32 years, with 9 of the first team players out injured vs a full strength Australian team.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
479b8ebdf043686910ab6fccbba74180.jpg

This was one of the most epic matches and epic test series I have witnessed in my life. Greatest comeback victories in a series ever. 36 all out in first test to beating Australia at Gabba where they haven't lost in 32 years, with 9 of the first team players out injured vs a full strength Australian team.
its pretty insane because they played pretty much the entire series without their captain and all of their first team bowlers.

Australia's bowling line up is pretty good, but it's clear these pitches had no life. I really hope Australia reevaluates their pitches going forward because while it may work against bad batting sides like Pakistan and Sri Lanka, it's clear that Indians had a blast playing on this. Pant is always gonna play his shots but it was way too easy for him the entire series. I suspect NZ, England and SA are gonna steamroll Australia on these pitches.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Do you know anything about crumpets?

VuTCC43.png
A ninja Turtle playing cricket would be cool. I did watch a Netflix series about an Indian cricket team. I found it fascinating the American that was on the team and a hero in India because of his bat skills. I know the game. I don’t think it is interesting.

Tschumi

Grats to the poms on their draw! Genuine resistance for once!

Okay thoughts!

- I'm a bit cold on Cummins atm because of the way he lost the plot against Wood during his first dig this test. Cummins gave up tons of runs going for Wood's head, anyone could tell that a yorker when he stepped away would have been an easy wicket.

It doesn't bode well for Pakistan, their pitches won't be ideal and when the Pakistan batsmen start carting us around I'm worried he'll lose the plot.

- Australia ALWAYS declare too late. I first started noticing it under Michael Clarke, but fuck me they always back themselves to get 10 wickets in a day and the pitch rarely seems to deteriorate enough for that.

Is it written in some Australian cricket bible or something that you need a fucking 400 run lead to declare? Fucking beat the record chase by 20 and have at them. Whichever coach has been around giving these declaration tips for the last 10 years needs to fuck off.

- Meta here (i think) this ashes has just been, in general, harder to get worked up about. Back in 13-14 or whenever when we fucked them up via Mitch Johnson it was sweet because Stuart Broad didn't walk at Trent Bridge; next time it was still sweet because the fans in the UK were wankers and Jofra Archer was a butcher, and the GOAT-but-Bradman Smith retained the trophy for us with colossal innings. This time, what? They're just kinda pathetic. Ollie Robinson is a racist, apparently, but that's kinda been sorted out by now apparently, and he's but good enough to make a good villain. Smith never really had to make crucial huge innings here because the poms never made much of an obstacle, so his average has suffered, so too the Mighty Laboosh.

- South Africa vs India is a far more interesting series. SA started slowly and lost the first test, but they beat India in the second for the first time at that ground. They've been gutted of all their old stars, Quinton De Giant Cocksucker retired at fucking 29 because he didn't want to play with a middling team (not really, actually he's had kids but whatever) but Dean Elgar was an unbreakable titan chasing a high target in the second test for the win. I'm firmly behind SA, India are great and that's great but I prefer SA being consistently excellent more than India beating the world. Here's to SA getting things back together.

- First test of New Zealand vs Bangladesh was great, first Bangladesh win in New Zealand, but this second test seems far less competitive. I'll remain a fan of Bangladesh going forward, wouldn't it be great if one of these smaller teams could behind legitimate winners, like Sri Lanka from a decade or so ago

Bullet Club

- Australia ALWAYS declare too late. I first started noticing it under Michael Clarke, but fuck me they always back themselves to get 10 wickets in a day and the pitch rarely seems to deteriorate enough for that.

Is it written in some Australian cricket bible or something that you need a fucking 400 run lead to declare? Fucking beat the record chase by 20 and have at them. Whichever coach has been around giving these declaration tips for the last 10 years needs to fuck off.
Agreed. And we never make teams follow on when we can, which annoys me, even if we end up winning without following on.

Tams

A ninja Turtle playing cricket would be cool. I did watch a Netflix series about an Indian cricket team. I found it fascinating the American that was on the team and a hero in India because of his bat skills. I know the game. I don’t think it is interesting.
It's fine. I think baseball is the worst sport in the world. Even worse than American handegg.

Tschumi

I'll just briefly reiterate my belief that this entire near-decade of English test failure in the ashes is direct karmic payback for Broad not walking at Trent Bridge.

Tschumi

Deciding test in the SA vs India series at lunch on the first day, rejoice! SA have India two down for less than 100, India's two batsmen are woefully out of town, BUT those batsmen are Pujara and Kohli, so no guarantees that they won't turn their form around this test!

SA bowling lineup is entirely different to the one we all knew, apart from Rabada, but they're looking pretty good!

Series level at 1-1.

Note:

Get the cricinfo app on your phone it's

michael fassbender perfection GIF

Last edited:

Porcile

It's pretty cool that I was able to buy the complete Ashes series for $20 on the ICC website from Japan. Although it has ended being a complete bust from an England perspective. Wish I could've known about it sooner though. Will probably pay for some more series down the road. Football is just so broken right now, but test cricket always keeps it real.

Tschumi

It's pretty cool that I was able to buy the complete Ashes series for $20 on the ICC website from Japan. Although it has ended being a complete bust from an England perspective. Wish I could've known about it sooner though. Will probably pay for some more series down the road. Football is just so broken right now, but test cricket always keeps it real.
Jesus, link me

(Kohli just got out, India in "deep shitski" to channel Billy Birmingham)

Porcile

I guess if you're outside a country that doesn't have any broadcasting rights to this, you can watch the first Aus Vs Pakistan test on the ICC website for free 👍

Top Bottom