• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The D-pad is [kinda] obsolete.

Ar¢tos

Directional pad is basically just more buttons at this point.
But they are more buttons with a directional sense to them, ex: cycling through spells/items up<->down/left<->right in some games, it would be harder for the players with them being just more face buttons with no sense of direction.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I have a Steam controller, and I tried using a touch replacement for a d-pad. I don't like it. Maybe it's because I don't like haptic feedback so I turn it off entirely, but even if I did it wouldn't be the same as a physical d-pad.

Pads are very useful for some things. For others they're a downgrade, and that's the problem. When the proposed replacement is at best a sidegrade, it's not worth it.

Spaceman292

Banned
Not once did I say "fighters don't need dpad" Im saying the genre is niche enough now where it doesn't warrant traditional controller to have one, especially sin e a large majority in the fighting game community have moved on.
Street Fighter 6 is coming out this summer

I must've slept too much and awoken in the year 2099 because directional buttons are still fundamental. A bad D-pad is definitely a deal breaker for me, so much so that I prefer a cheap wired 3rd party controller to the standard joypad that came with my XSS, just because it has a proper non-clicky D-pad.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I must've slept too much and awoken in the year 2099 because directional buttons are still fundamental. A bad D-pad is definitely a deal breaker for me, so much so that I prefer a cheap wired 3rd party controller to the standard joypad that came with my XSS, just because it has a proper non-clicky D-pad.
Clicky buttons has always been my problem with Xbox controllers (and Steam Controller). There's no need for it. My feedback is feeling the button press and the game responding.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The battle continues between Victor and Apoc for the worst threads on GAF.

Banned
Not once did I say "fighters don't need dpad" Im saying the genre is niche enough now where it doesn't warrant traditional controller to have one, especially sin e a large majority in the fighting game community have moved on.

the fighting game community has moved on because many were fed the lie that a fight stick is superior to a dpad, which they absolutely are not.

a dpad is still by far the best way to play a fighting game, unless you wanna learn how to use a hitbox, which is only for highly dedicated players since it's very unintuitive at first and will not be everyone's cup of tea even if they try to get into it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
D-pad has been obsolete for years now. The last time I found it effective was playing Frogger on Xbox 360.

Well, it is handy for non movement commands. Like bringing up a camera or selecting items.

the only times i wished i had a dpad on my switch is when i played FFVII. a game from 1997. or when playing Smash. using the directional buttons feels awkward in those two games.

i prefer analog sticks. directional buttons are good in menus but honestly i could live without them. so for me only time a dpad matters is an old 20+ year games or fighting games.

somesang

Am I the only person that wants more tactile buttons? D-pads are flexible. Give me 6 triggers, back paddles, select, start, options, share - the whole nine. I guess I want mouse/keyboard + sticks but you know, ergonomic and not stupid.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It would be cool if it was replaced with a laser, then when you move you let thumb over the laser it knows what direction you're pressing.

Tams

Did you even listen to the video you posted OP?

The presenter says he thinks d-pads are still better as they are discrete, clear controls. And you need only look at Xbox controllers to see that eight-way or 'infinite' ones are just never as precise.

I get the appeal of pads instead and for some games they are a better use of that controller space. But for many games, a d-pad is better - platformers, fighting games, shumps, and adventure games were you want to be sure of your actions. Even in shooters they are nice as you don't as easily choose the wrong weapon/item/command.

If one set of controls had to be changed on a controller, then I'd go with replacing the face buttons with a second d-pad, perhaps an eight-way one. Kind of the opposite of the Joycons (I honestly wish they'd gone that route).

Last edited:
Top Bottom