• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Day Before delayed until March 2023, will be now using Unreal Engine 5

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Fntastic has announced that its upcoming survival MMO game, The Day Before, has been delayed until March 1st, 2023.
Furthermore, the team revealed that it will switch from Unreal Engine 4 to Unreal Engine 5.

Here is the press announcement that Fntastic and Mytona issued.

tdb delay announcement

The Day Before is a new open-world MMO survival that takes place in a deadly, post-pandemic America overrun by flesh-hungry infected and survivors killing each other for food, weapons, and cars.

From what we know, The Day Before aims to be a cross between The Last of Us and The Division.
The game will have elements of PvP and PvE, pitting you against other players and the game’s take on zombies called infected.

It’s also worth noting that it will support both Ray Tracing and DLSS on PC.
NVIDIA said back in January that the game will feature ray-traced reflections, ambient occlusion, and RTX Global Illumination.

Last edited:

Kupfer

It was so obvious. As quiet as it has become around the game, it could not become reality in June. But I'm afraid it won't be the savior everyone wants it to be anyway, it looked too good to be true and the studio is probably too small to live up to the claims. Of course, I'd love to be taught better. I hope it takes more of a DayZ- instead of a The Division approach.

Last edited:

Salz01

I can’t imagine switching or upgrading engines so close to initial release is a good thing. I would think porting everything over, retesting, retooling somethings, would take longer that 10 extra months.

CamHostage

I can’t imagine switching or upgrading engines so close to initial release is a good thing. I would think porting everything over, retesting, retooling somethings, would take longer that 10 extra months.

Probably the most likely answer was that they weren't so close to initial release, that they just hadn't moved the date back for where they really were with the project.

And then with the UE5 announcement, they get a little bit of a win ("It's UE5 now, that's 1 better!") and by the time they do release, there may be little reason not to be on UE5. Project conversions seem to have mostly gone over smoothly (although there are aspects of UE4 which are not replicated in UE5, so it's not just like upgrading your PhotoShop or whatever and everything comes out exactly the same as it was but better...) and although it says UE5, a project can be made in UE5 without switching the project over to use the advanced features of UE5 (Nanite and Lumen) (also, some features of UE5 are modular and already were introduced in UE4.2X.)

...On a less cynical note though, this is a multiplayer game, so maybe they are anticipating that biting the bullet to get onto UE5 now will position them better to support the project for years afterwards. (And conceivably something about UE5 might help work through some issues they're having with the version they intended to be ready to ship, although unless they are doing a total overhaul to move to Lumen or enhance for Nanite then I'm not sure what that would be.)

So maybe this game will end up being no more "next-gen" in 2023 on UE5 than it was going to be if it really was done to ship in June on UE4, but for now the news is bad-news-but-good-news, rather than just straight bad news.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
This game was supposed to come out in six weeks, mind you. So six weeks before launch they decide to move to a new engine and delay a whole YEAR.

Still 50/50 on this being vaporware /money laundering scheme or something.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
If someone did call this a The Division expansion I would have believed.

"RTX Global Illumination."

Intomyvein.gif

Kupfer

This game was supposed to come out in six weeks, mind you. So six weeks before launch they decide to move to a new engine and delay a whole YEAR.

Still 50/50 on this being vaporware /money laundering scheme or something.
Do you remember?

I do remember ...

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Sounds like every developer is switching to UE5. Game concept looks dope but online MMO is a turn off. Seemed to draw a lot of inspiration from the Division too, both in design and story, so that kinda sucks too. It wouldn´t hurt with some originality but I guess that is a scarce thing in video game industry today. At least in the AAA section.

Von

Sounds like every developer is switching to UE5. Game concept looks dope but online MMO is a turn off. Seemed to draw a lot of inspiration from the Division too, both in design and story, so that kinda sucks too. It wouldn´t hurt with some originality but I guess that is a scarce thing in video game industry today. At least in the AAA section.
Developers have mentioned it can be played offline, while it’s not the true experience, obviously, it just strips the coop and pvp mechanics.

I’m content with that.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
this smells like 6/10 steam game, which the devs support half way through and be done with it.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It plays just like TLOU. Which is good in my book.

What are the selection of melee weapons like?

I'm always inspired by Silent Hill 4 (fore). It had an entire collection of golf clubs. But I guess a trained killer wouldn't use THOSE in a serious battle. Man can dream.

Inviusx

I've called this vapourware/scamware since the beginning and this delay further proves it. Never coming out.

Elysion

Banned
-developer I‘ve never heard of
-very ambitious concept
-'gameplay’ that looks too polished to be true

This game is going to be crap, isn’t it?

Hugare

It's only the most wishlisted game on steam
This is so sad

2022 and people still trust the snake oil salesman

Unknown dev that made mobile games and one indie, suddenly making a AAA game that looks too good to be true

And it started development in 2020

Manage your expectations

Gamezone

Gold Member
Still not sure if this game is real or not, but it's Steam's most wishlisted game, so I hope that some serious publisher creates something better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom