• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division 2 Next-Gen Versions “Unlikely,” as Taking “Full Advantage” Would Leave Last-Gen Behind

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking to MP1st, The Division 2 Creative Director Yannick Banchereau explained the reasoning for the studio not pushing out a native next-gen version of their game:

MP1st: Will we ever see a native PS5, Xbox Series X|S version of The Division 2?

Banchereau
: That’s unlikely because if we really wanted to take full advantage of those, since we only have one version of the game that is available on all platforms, taking full advantage of those would mean that the game would no longer be available on the old generations.

We still have a lot of players that play on all generations and we are not ready to leave them behind and ask them to upgrade. Right now we are trying to make sure every time we add something, it still runs smoothly on the old gen as well.

Important to note that while there is no native next-gen versions of The Division 2, the game did get a patch that implemented 60 frames-per-second at 4K resolution for the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S consoles. It’s just that there are no additional graphical improvements or gameplay features specific to next-gen added.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Speaking to MP1st, The Division 2 Creative Director Yannick Banchereau explained the reasoning for the studio not pushing out a native next-gen version of their game:

MP1st: Will we ever see a native PS5, Xbox Series X|S version of The Division 2?

Banchereau
: That’s unlikely because if we really wanted to take full advantage of those, since we only have one version of the game that is available on all platforms, taking full advantage of those would mean that the game would no longer be available on the old generations.

We still have a lot of players that play on all generations and we are not ready to leave them behind and ask them to upgrade. Right now we are trying to make sure every time we add something, it still runs smoothly on the old gen as well.

Important to note that while there is no native next-gen versions of The Division 2, the game did get a patch that implemented 60 frames-per-second at 4K resolution for the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S consoles. It’s just that there are no additional graphical improvements or gameplay features specific to next-gen added.
So games do not get designed for high end and easily scaled down… ;). Understandable :).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I guess in terms of GPU its easily scalable, but other's are not. The CPU, Storage speed, memories, the bottleneck of last gen unlikely to be scalable
I disagree GPU wise too: you would still design from your minimum/recommended requirements upwards.

Especially as GPU is used more and more for resolution independent compute tasks. On top of that, once you have a game that targets native 1080p or so (with TAA and reconstruction filters to 4K) at 30-60 FPS with or without HW RT acceleration being used scaling that down based on resolution becomes problematic (especially if you were to build any of the design even tangentially around it).

Holy shit they're still supporting this game!?
It's already 60fps 4K on current gen consoles, in June it will be getting a free rogue like mode, and there's another DLC campaign in development. There's also seasonal content, and they're going into year five of that.

If you haven't played it before, it's currently on PS Plus Extra.

The main group of developers isn't working on The Division 3, though. They're working on the Avatar game.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I disagree GPU wise too: you would still design from your minimum/recommended requirements upwards.

Especially as GPU is used more and more for resolution independent compute tasks. On top of that, once you have a game that targets native 1080p or so (with TAA and reconstruction filters to 4K) at 30-60 FPS with or without HW RT acceleration being used scaling that down based on resolution becomes problematic (especially if you were to build any of the design even tangentially around it).
Compare to other spec its the least problematic, that doesn't mean its problem free. However other specs are nearly impossible to scale.

Last edited:

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
[/URL]

Banchereau

Thanks!

Got more excerpts coming up this week and they are juicy. :) We asked about crossplay too and other stuff regarding support.

MikeM

I’m confused. Unless im missing something, there are plenty of cross gen games, multiplayer included.

Starcheif

If the Divison 3 does happen it should built using UE5 for next gen only. The video linked below is really cool especially the part in the warehouse with the shipping container.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I doubt it has more than a skeleton live service crew working on it at this point.

Honestly Division 2 was totally awful. Easily one of my biggest disappointments last gen, the game just SUCKED. I remember one weekend I played both games back to back and D1 felt like a sequel to D2. The original was better in every way.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Holy shit they're still supporting this game!?
Very much so. They announced an entire year's support (Year 5) with new story DLC incoming in Season 4. You'd be surprised how many people are still playing it.

I doubt it has more than a skeleton live service crew working on it at this point.

Honestly Division 2 was totally awful. Easily one of my biggest disappointments last gen, the game just SUCKED. I remember one weekend I played both games back to back and D1 felt like a sequel to D2. The original was better in every way.

Nope. Definitely not a skeleton crew. We asked something similar to that. :)

And I agree. Div 1 was way better but Dv 2 ain't that bad. If there's one thing I've seen devs mess up, it's how live service games should work. I mean, outside of Destiny 2 and maybe Warframe? What other live service game (that's not outright PvP) is doing well even after all these years?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nope. Definitely not a skeleton crew. We asked something similar to that. :)

And I agree. Div 1 was way better but Dv 2 ain't that bad. If there's one thing I've seen devs mess up, it's how live service games should work. I mean, outside of Destiny 2 and maybe Warframe? What other live service game (that's not outright PvP) is doing well even after all these years?
Aren't they also working on the Star Wars games?

These sequels to live service games also usually go very badly. Destiny 2 was a total disaster at launch too. Seems to be a bad idea to make a sequel to the live service game, like for some reason they can't incorporate all the learning, and knowledge, and feedback from the live service over the years. If this game doesn't have a skeleton crew then they should be making a PS5/XSX version.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The Division 2 is four years old at this point. A 60fps/4k patch for current gen is honestly fine.

It already has a next gen enhanced BC patch. Though they run at the PS4 Pro / One X metrics but at a pretty good 60 FPS.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Need division 3 this year next year 2025 doesn’t matter I think it’s a solid third person shooter, that genre deserves everything.

Top Bottom