• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dualsense is a more elegant controller than the xbox core controller.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
To make a long story short I just scored a pulse red series x/s core controller on sale for my pc. It is the first time I have held an Xbox controller since my beloved Xbox 360 days.

The controller overall feels much less premium. The AA batteries were a shock they still use those, the analog sticks feel less premium, the trigger buttons are not in the league as the pressure sensitive triggers as the Dualsense, rumble also does not feel as strong, overall just a good controller but less premium. Even the buttons seem less premium.

The core controller is lighter and feels more comfortable in the hand. Just lacks a ton of little touches that put the Dualsense in another league.

Larxia

I have no idea about the "premium" feel comparison between both since I never tried the dualsense, but what I can say is that in comparison to the 360 controller, which used to be 35€ back then, the 60€ Xbox Series controller feel cheap af with all those problems it can have.

- Stick Drift
- buttons that don't register if you press them at certain angle or not strong enough (constantly falling when flying in kingdom hearts because of this, I can't hold the A button apparently)
- sticks that make a loud spring clicky noise when they come back to the center (my left stick almost sounds like a mouse click when it goes back to the center)
and others...

Also super loud for no reason too. I think that visually, the Xbox series look more "adult" / premium than the xbox 360 controller, but this is proof this doesn't mean anything when the quality is so shit in comparison. The ergonomy is better though, but when all the rest is falling apart...

And I heard many of these problems are also present on dualsense sadly, except the face buttons which are apparently much better and don't have this "not triggering" issue.

Last edited:

Rykan

The xbox controller wins out simply because of stick placement. Playstation really needs to stop worrying so much about it looking "iconic" and just place the left stick where it makes sense.

Edit: For the people who keep trying to argue with me about this, this came straight from Sony themselves:

“For the analogue sticks, we did test having [them] on top, since the Xbox has the left side on top [above the d-pad],”. “Especially from the shooter teams – we got feedback that that's what they wanted. They knew that consumers liked the 360 for shooters.”

"The prototype team, myself, and also the management team really felt that having this look is the PlayStation look, and we had to keep that,”

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I like the xbox controller more.

The dual sense is nice and great. But I need smooth controller.
The grip and the analog is very nice, when I play on the Xbox controller. Plus the recharged battery is great addition. Takeout the battery, and plug in the new battery. The other battery would be charged in the process.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I haven't honestly used an Xbox controller enough times in my life to make any kind of fair assessments about one models quality over another or a different controller period.

All I know is I grew up with Nintendo and Sony controllers, held an Xbox controller and it just felt like...I don't know how to describe it. Like driving a rental or a friend's spare vehicle when yours needs to be in the shop for the weekend. Like, you know how to operate it, but it just FEELS wrong. I'm an odd duck.

FalsettoVibe

Gold Member
The xbox controller wins out simply because of stick placement. Playstation really needs to stop worrying so much about it looking "iconic" and just place the left stick where it makes sense.

Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

Lasha

"Premium" isn't a universal adjective. I wouldn't consider either game controller a premium product. User replaceable batteries are always a plus. There is no downtime if your controller runs out of battery mid game. I grab a pair of batteries off the charger and I am back in within a minute. Internal batteries are more annoying to replace when they inevitably fail.

Dual sense is better than DS4 but only because Sony is inching closer to the Xbox form factor. I prefer Xbox for stick placement and height. Sony's short close sticks make my hands cramp. The DS4 was easier to deal with because Xbox sticks fit in without effort. The added height is a godsend for big hands. I did the same for dual sense but I had to grind the sticks a bit to make them fit.

I have owned 3 DS4 controllers, all with dead batteries that won't even charge. I have used the same 4 Eneloop AA batteries for my Xbox controller since 2015, and they still run strong to this day.

I will die on the hill of easily replaceable external batteries being far superior.

Hawk269

Duelsense feels a lot cheaper overall to me. I fully disagree
Same. I had to replace my DS that came with my launch PS5. My launch Series X controller is still going strong. I also feel the DS is a bit too wide. I am a big guy with big hands, but the feel of the Series X controller just feels better. I do like the DS, but wish it was a bit smaller and not as wide.

I prefer the Xbox controller, hands down. I play a lot of competitive multi-player, so the dualsense's gimmicks are useless to me because I play with vibration off. The few times I did turn on the gimmicks, I hated it. And it just doesn't feel nearly as good as the ds4 in terms of comfort. The dualsense, in fact, might be my least favorite controller in a long time. I hate it almost as much as the ds3.

DualSense is the first PS controller that I really love despite the stick placement. Guess because the handles are a lot longer, it feels almost as comfortable as my Xbox Elite S2.

Actually, one change that I really dislike about the Xbox Series controllers is that they made them about 5% smaller with the latest redesign and my hands cramp a lot more. Odd because you wouldn't think that'd be a huge change.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I liked the Sony controllers before the gaint map button (touch pad). Also the battery thing suck. Other then that, great controller. Haptics are excellent in most games.

Hawk269

I would not say Sony should change the stick position since they have sold so many PS units and controllers and many prefer that stick placement...but it would be a good idea of Sony to offer an option and sell 1 or 2 colors of the DS with the stick placement like they have on Xbox controllers. I prefer Xbox controllers due to the stick placement and I know a lot of people prefer the placement on PS controllers. But it would not be hard for them to offer an option for those that prefer something different. I would 100% buy a new DS controller with Xbox stick placement.

kikkis

I have no idea about the "premium" feel comparison between both since I never tried the dualsense, but what I can say is that in comparison to the 360 controller, which used to be 35€ back then, the 60€ Xbox Series controller feel cheap af with all those problems it can have.

- Stick Drift
- buttons that don't register if you press them at certain angle or not strong enough (constantly falling when flying in kingdom hearts because of this, I can't hold the A button apparently)
- sticks that make a loud spring clicky noise when they come back to the center (my left stick almost sounds like a mouse click when it goes back to the center)
and others...

Also super loud for no reason too. I think that visually, the Xbox series look more "adult" / premium than the xbox 360 controller, but this is proof this doesn't mean anything when the quality is so shit in comparison. The ergonomy is better though, but when all the rest is falling apart...

And I heard many of these problems are also present on dualsense sadly, except the face buttons which are apparently much better and don't have this "not triggering" issue.
That angle thing on buttons is so annoying. It's there any fix to it?

Topher

Gold Member
I would not say Sony should change the stick position since they have sold so many PS units and controllers and many prefer that stick placement...but it would be a good idea of Sony to offer an option and sell 1 or 2 colors of the DS with the stick placement like they have on Xbox controllers. I prefer Xbox controllers due to the stick placement and I know a lot of people prefer the placement on PS controllers. But it would not be hard for them to offer an option for those that prefer something different. I would 100% buy a new DS controller with Xbox stick placement.

Personally, stick placement is a complete non-factor to me. I haven't used a non-Xbox controller for weeks until today with God of War and yet, symmetric feels just as natural as asymmetric. Of course, everyone's hands are different.

Unknown?

So they should do the same with the right stick then, ya lazy left thumber?

clarky

Gold Member
Elite all the way for me, best controller i've ever used. 4 paddles on the back are essential for me now. Tried a scuff after my elite v2 died and it just felt cheap. The PS5 controller feels decent enough but the battery lifes shit and haptic triggers or whatever you call them get turned off for everything bar GT.

If the Dual sense could just beef up the triggers so they don’t cut into my fingers.

If the Xbox could just fix the Dpad clickyness.

Both need to rework the Battery situation.
Dual sense needs about 3 times more.
Xbox needs to include a set of those official plug and play rechargeable.

And obligatory Hall Effect thing I keep hearing about but never seem to see on the shelves anywhere.

Topher

Gold Member
Elite all the way for me, best controller i've ever used. 4 paddles on the back are essential for me now. Tried a scuff after my elite v2 died and it just felt cheap. The PS5 controller feels decent enough but the battery lifes shit and haptic triggers or whatever you call them get turned off for everything bar GT.

That's cheating. lol....Elite controller is in a league of its own. Looking forward to getting DualSense Edge and see how they compare. Just glad we have some premium options.

Scuff are not good? Never tried them.

And obligatory Hall Effect thing I keep hearing about but never seem to see on the shelves anywhere.

My 8bitdo Ultimate controller is arriving tomorrow and it has the Hall effect triggers. Curious see how they feel.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I prefer the Xbox controller solely due to the comfort for me in extended play. Other than that, meh very similar. I’m not a huge fan of rumble on the Xbox or the haptics on the dual sense.

Rykan

So they should do the same with the right stick then, ya lazy left thumber?
Nope.
The face buttons require too much space to put them in the spot where the right stick is. It would lead to an awkward design, or require the facebuttons to shrink in size.

The facebuttons are currently in the natural resting spot of the right thumb. Whether the facebuttons or the right stick is more important is debatable and very genre reliant. What is not debatable is that the left analog stick is much more important than the D pad, and it makes more sense to put it in the natural resting spot of the left thumb instead of the D pad.

The D pad is only there because the original Dual Shock controller was an optional controller, released much later and not every game supported it. It made sense to put the left stick in the "secondary" spot. Sadly, this look became "iconic" and now we're still stuck with this design, even though moving characters with the left stick instead of the D pad has been standard for like 4 generations now.

Last edited:
I got Power A Fusion Pro 2 as extra controller for Xbox.

This thing feels premium. Covered in soft rubbery material.

Can't believe Xbox pro controller isn't as well built.

Larxia

That angle thing on buttons is so annoying. It's there any fix to it?
I know! It's incredibly annoying, I don't know what to do about it. Getting a new controller isn't even a fix because this is just a regular issue with these controllers, it happens on mostly all buttons, just at different angles.

On mine, the A button goes off very easily if I'm pressing on the left side of it, which is where I press when I'm playing naturally. If I want to avoid it, I have to keep in mind to press on the right side since it holds a little better there, but it makes you having to constantly be aware of that when playing, it's super annyoing.

It seems like there is an issue with the pressing of these buttons, like maybe the connection under it isn't big enough? Because you can clearly press these buttons, have them physically be pressed, but not triggering any input unless the press is strong enough, a light press doesn't work on these controllers.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I play a lot on both PS5 and Series X and while the haptics on the Dualsense are insanely cool without a doubt I prefer the Xbox controller for many reasons and I love the replaceable batteries

First and foremost the Xbox stick placement wins period

The Dualsense is pretty cool but give me the Xbox controller any day and it’s the controllers that d that I play multiplat games on Xbox and especially the elite controller.

The Dualsense pro controller is coming but falls short with only two back buttons

But it’s all personal preference anyhow

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Scuff are not good? Never tried them.
Terrible coming from an elite imo. Got the instinct pro, just felt like it was going to fall to bits at any second, i dropped in off my sofa and onto the wood floor and the triggers bust. Never again.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Terrible coming from an elite imo. Got the instinct pro, just felt like it was going to fall to bits at any second, i dropped in off my sofa and onto the wood floor and the triggers bust. Never again.
I dunno, I prefer the Instinct Pro over the Elite controller. To each their own though.

Kataploom

Gold Member
My only gripe with the Xbox controller is that it’s so loud. I predominantly play at night when my wife goes to sleep and the bottoms/sticks make too much noise
I was on the same boat, but I definitely learned to ignore it, I'd probably wouldn't if I played on the same room other people sleep though... I also play with noise cancelling headset on so maybe that helped.

Btw I feel the Series controller feels cheap in comparison to the switch pro controller, but it's much more comfortable in my hands, also Nintendo and Xbox stick placements are just too perfect, I tried picking a dual shock 4 last week and it just felt unnatural, uncomfortable... The only thing I think the Xbox controller NEEDS is a freaking gyro

Kacho

Gold Member
Nailed it. Even Nintendo adopted that style with the Pro Conteoller. My most used pads on PC.

The DS4 is great for fighters and 2D stuff.

Top Bottom