• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dualsense is a more elegant controller than the xbox core controller.

nah i think ps controllers are awful. xbox for life. for me it's the asymmetrical sticks and AA battery support. and of course since i play on PC xbox controllers just work. with PS controllers you gotta jump through hoops.

PS4/5 controllers have awful battery life. with my XB controller i can swap out the batteries for fully charged ones in a few seconds. if i want to keep playing with a PS controller i gotta wire it up and sit close to my 55" tv, wait for it to recharge and not play, or buy a second controller that i need to make sure is always charged incase my other one dies.

sorry but Sony need to catch up with MS controllers.

gothmog

Gold Member
My only complaint about the Xbox controllers are that they feel generic. They are also very expensive for what you get IMO.

REDRZA MWS

Dualsense is obviously superior due to actually having haptics. Then the fact it has superior build quality and doesn't need Duracell batteries from year 1980 is a huge bonus.
Good thing I’ve been using the same eneloops’s for years and years and the battery life shits on the internal batteries on any other controller. Also, it’s nice to not have a totally useless piece of garbage when the internal battery stops holding a charge.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
havent used a dualsense but the Xbox core controller is fucking peak as far as i'm concerned. it felt a bit weird after using my 360 but eventually i got used to it.
I love the gigantic triggers, the clicky buttons/dpad (so many dpads like to be mushy or soft to the touch, i hate that so a clicky DPAD is far superior imo. plus they have nice long travel, unlike the DS2/DS3 where the dpad travel is kind of short and makes it hard to tell if i've fully pressed the button), the asymmetrical sticks, the only issues i have are the loud noise, lack of gyroscope and small thumbsticks (the DS2 have some gigantic thumbsticks, they're convex but they feel really good to use. the 360's thumbsticks were also big too so seeing them be so small on the newer controller is kind of a downgrade). Personally i don't mind the AA support but each controller should come with a rechargable battery so you have more options.

For symmetrical stick controllers i use the 8bitdo SN30 pro plus. 8bitdo's controllers don't get enough love, third party prices but first party quality. the Dpad is great but very oddly sensitive to diagonal inputs and the travel isn't great. it's far superior for 2d games though.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The dualsense is currently the best all round controller available at the moment. Just ordered another one for dedicated PC use so I don't have to swap my current 2 between 3 devices (ps5 and 2 PC's).

The current iteration of the standard xbox controller feels like a toy in comparison. Doesn't help that it requires AA batteries as well in that sense.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
On a more serious note.. I'm surely not the only one disappointed when I found out that the "core" controllers for both the PS5 and XboxSSX didn't came with back buttons/pedals.

Games nowadays well since the introduction of a manually controlled camera on the right stick which many games uses if not needs therefore occupying your right thumb which therefore makes being in control of what you're looking at and pressing face buttons a less than smooth experience.

Go play Doom Eternal or Halo Infinite and you NEED those extra 2 or 4 buttons to play the game in some way that compliments it's gameplay.

Sucks ass.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
BTW I FUCKING LOVE the satellite DPAD so much. Sony needs to take notes, that thing is amazing. They took the 360 DPAD and shifted it from a disgusting terrible embarassment of a directional input into a beautiful reinvention of the Dpad. perfectly usable for cardinal directions but makes performing quarter circles feel so fucking good in the hands. that should be the new style of dpad from now on because i love it.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It did feel awesome with the modifications you made. I think both, the DualSense and the Series Controller are fine options.

Fair enough... But sometimes when I'm walking in the Dutch landscape the wind carries your whispers softly into my ear: "wow this feels soooo good" It makes me chuckle and sad at the same time...

Real men need a symmetrical thumbsticks...

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Fair enough... But sometimes when I'm walking in the Dutch landscape the wind carries your whispers softly into my ear: "wow this feels soooo good" It makes me chuckle and sad at the same time...

I can adjust to both but used the symmetrical layout more. It bothers me more when I play some old-school games that use the dpad in an asymmetrical position. For shooters and the likes it doesn't make a difference for me.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The dualsense is currently the best all round controller available at the moment. Just ordered another one for dedicated PC use so I don't have to swap my current 2 between 3 devices (ps5 and 2 PC's).

The current iteration of the standard xbox controller feels like a toy in comparison. Doesn't help that it requires AA batteries as well in that sense.
I wish the dual sense made it much easier to replace the rechargeable battery as honestly I don't mine replacing the battery packs for my Xbox controller

My 2 things that I lose controllers to are stick drift then battery life starting to suck

While the xbox controller is as good as its ever been, it's still the same basic controller we've had since 360. There's been no advancements. So yeah, sony done well with the way they have changed up their controller over the years. Playing astrobot with the dualsense felt like a new generation experience. Even the normal rumble is better than other controllers. I expect Microsoft will include some of this tech in their next controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Tams

Gold Member

Then use this GOAT:

white_wii_u_pro_controller.jpg

If only it had a gyro, analogue triggers, and back buttons/paddles.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
While the xbox controller is as good as its ever been, it's still the same basic controller we've had since 360. There's been no advancements. So yeah, sony done well with the way they have changed up their controller over the years. Playing astrobot with the dualsense felt like a new generation experience. Even the normal rumble is better than other controllers. I expect Microsoft will include some of this tech in their next controller.

Awwwwww yeahhh

Rumble.... Haptics...

self help pleasure GIF by Soul Train

Roxkis_ii

I agree with Op, the duelsence feels like a next gen controller. Like when Playstation 1 controllers got the analog sticks and rumble.

I'm not a fan of Xbox controllers. They aren't bad in use, but having to buy a rechargeable battery pack separately is crazy to me. If they came with the option for both, it wouldn't be a big deal, but it seems like Microsoft getting is getting kickbacks from battey companies to keep pushing disposable batteries.

Also, the DualSense and the Ds4 are some of the easiest Electronics to swap the internal batteries from. All you need is a screwdriver.

The Xbox face buttons stick up too much so often when I roll my thumb across them I don't press hard enough for the hit to register. It's very frustrating in games like Sekiro or Elden Ring.

Still not played on a PS5 but I love my PS4 controller.

GHG

Gold Member
I wish the dual sense made it much easier to replace the rechargeable battery as honestly I don't mine replacing the battery packs for my Xbox controller

My 2 things that I lose controllers to are stick drift then battery life starting to suck

Not fussed tbh, by the time battery drain issues become a thing there will be a new generation of controllers available.

Kataploom

Gold Member
BTW I FUCKING LOVE the satellite DPAD so much. Sony needs to take notes, that thing is amazing. They took the 360 DPAD and shifted it from a disgusting terrible embarassment of a directional input into a beautiful reinvention of the Dpad. perfectly usable for cardinal directions but makes performing quarter circles feel so fucking good in the hands. that should be the new style of dpad from now on because i love it.
I'm not too into fighting games but for some platformers they are good, I had complaints about the click they make but now I have mixed feelings about it lol iirc it's there because they use the same mechanism of mechanical keyboard keys to boost precision and responsiveness

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not fussed tbh, by the time battery drain issues become a thing there will be a new generation of controllers available.
Neither system really bothers me as I just have multiple dualsense and if they battery dies I just grab the other off the stand.

I have a sad admission to make I hope the new edge controller fits on the same charging stand as I ordered a second one since I am enjoying COD MW2 more on the PS5 than Xbox I will need two of those but waited to make sure people didn't miss out before I ordered a second since they were staying in stock

I have a sad admission to make I hope the new edge controller fits on the same charging stand
I gave up on the chargeing stand because it never stays connected. I would need to put the dock high up on a shelf away from kids or else it gets knocked off just a smidge and didn't charge. Now I'm stuck with two dead controllers.
Now I just keep a USB C cable laying where the dock used to be and plug the damn thing in.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I gave up on the chargeing stand because it never stays connected. I would need to put the dock high up on a shelf away from kids or else it gets knocked off just a smidge and didn't charge. Now I'm stuck with two dead controllers.
Now I just keep a USB C cable laying where the dock used to be and plug the damn thing in.
I could see that as it is very easy to knock off charge on the Sony stand

I really like how PDP designed one of their charging stations to lay flat and you lay the controller totally flat as it really takes a decent shot to knock it off charge

Rzf5GIA.jpg

The dualshock 4 is also a super comfortable controller. Sinks into your hands so naturally with all buttons in easy reach. That and 360 controller are the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Dualsense is the overall best though.

damidu

its the best controller i have had,
price/feature wise runs circles around xbox controller too.
makes you appreciate how overpriced xbox gamepad is

Last edited:

mdkirby

Dualsense is so so far superior it’s very frustrating, given how many studios owning IP I love have gone to xbox. I even hold out on playing quite a few gamespass games and buy them instead on ps5 just because of the Dualsense.

It’s not like I didn’t try, bought the elite, and whilst the density/weight feels nice in the hand it’s just not as nice to use, and the rumble is so terrible I had to turn it off.

Microsoft really need to release and then enforce a feature set akin to the Dualsense.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Dualsense is so so far superior it’s very frustrating, given how many studios owning IP I love have gone to xbox. I even hold out on playing quite a few gamespass games and buy them instead on ps5 just because of the Dualsense.

It’s not like I didn’t try, bought the elite, and whilst the density/weight feels nice in the hand it’s just not as nice to use, and the rumble is so terrible I had to turn it off.

Microsoft really need to release and then enforce a feature set akin to the Dualsense.
If you believe the rumor mill improved haptics is in the works and likely to first appear on an Elite Series 3

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

https://www.consoletuner.com/products/titan-two/

https://www.cronusmax.com/

GHG

Gold Member
I only play on PC but would love to get the PS5 Dual Sense. The thing is, it's not widely supported by Steam.

It is. You literally just have to connect the controller (Bluetooth or wired) while steam is open, it detects the controller and sets the profile up for you.

There's also this which is a great utility to make full use of the features:

mdkirby

If you believe the rumor mill improved haptics is in the works and likely to first appear on an Elite Series 3
That would be great, hope they also add a speaker. Then I won’t be annoyed at having to play bethesda games on the series X, or feel like cross platform games in gamespass are “a lesser experience”. Will definitely get better value for money from my gamespass sub in that case. As it happens I’ve not turned the thing on in months. Tho between monkey island, Somerville and scorn, I think I finally have some reasons to boot it up and binge a few.

Batiman

Banned
The playstation controller wins out simply because of stick placement. Xbox really needs to stop worrying so much about it looking "iconic" and just place the left stick where it makes sense.
How does it make sense? PlayStation had it right until they decided to shoehorn in two sticks back in the PlayStation days. They put them wherever they fit at the time and just stuck with it. The 4 face buttons should be priority for your right thumb for most games. And for shooters the right stick it’s to low.

Give anyone a that hasn’t played on a controller and see how they naturally place there hands on a controller

FrankWza

On a more serious note.. I'm surely not the only one disappointed when I found out that the "core" controllers for both the PS5 and XboxSSX didn't came with back buttons/pedals.

Games nowadays well since the introduction of a manually controlled camera on the right stick which many games uses if not needs therefore occupying your right thumb which therefore makes being in control of what you're looking at and pressing face buttons a less than smooth experience.

Go play Doom Eternal or Halo Infinite and you NEED those extra 2 or 4 buttons to play the game in some way that compliments it's gameplay.

Sucks ass.
I made this point earlier. It will end up being standard or have back button attachments to purchase separately and all controllers will need an internal battery because a pack or AAs won’t fit. The back button for DS4 was a great accessory.

amigastar

It is. You literally just have to connect the controller (Bluetooth or wired) while steam is open, it detects the controller and sets the profile up for you.

There's also this which is a great utility to make full use of the features:

Interesting, will check it out. thx
Does the DSX program let you support Dual Sense features not included in games?

Last edited:

FrankWza

Neither system really bothers me as I just have multiple dualsense and if they battery dies I just grab the other off the stand.

I have a sad admission to make I hope the new edge controller fits on the same charging stand as I ordered a second one since I am enjoying COD MW2 more on the PS5 than Xbox I will need two of those but waited to make sure people didn't miss out before I ordered a second since they were staying in stock
Why not try the back button kits from Amazon? It’s easy and you don’t need to solder if you don’t need lr 3.

Top Bottom