• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dualsense is a more elegant controller than the xbox core controller.

GHG

Gold Member
Interesting, will check it out. thx
Does the DSX program let you support Dual Sense features not included in games?

Yep, but it requires someone to make a profile for DSX for the game (you can also make one yourself if you can be bothered of course).

It's early days for this feature but the games that have haptic feedback and adaptive trigger profiles available and ready to go are Cyberpunk 2077, RDR2, GTA V, Forza Horizon 4 & 5, Fallout 4, Skyrim and Assetto Corsa. For games without profiles there's a bunch of presets for the triggers specifically that you can use.

What's even better is the fact that it enables haptic feedback and the trigger support when connected via bluetooth whereas without it you're limited to only games that have the features out of the box and the controller needs to be connected via a wire.

Good example:

Also for Cyberpunk I'd argue the implementation is better than it is on the native PS5 version (skip to 6 minutes 20 seconds for just the feedback demo):

Last edited:

bitbydeath

How does it make sense? PlayStation had it right until they decided to shoehorn in two sticks back in the PlayStation days. They put them wherever they fit at the time and just stuck with it. The 4 face buttons should be priority for your right thumb for most games. And for shooters the right stick it’s to low.

Give anyone a that hasn’t played on a controller and see how they naturally place there hands on a controller
It’s awkward, you can get used to it overtime but it’s not natural feeling.

Topher

Gold Member
How does it make sense? PlayStation had it right until they decided to shoehorn in two sticks back in the PlayStation days. They put them wherever they fit at the time and just stuck with it. The 4 face buttons should be priority for your right thumb for most games. And for shooters the right stick it’s to low.

Give anyone a that hasn’t played on a controller and see how they naturally place there hands on a controller

It is simply a matter of preference. There is no right answer here. As I've said above, I have been using Xbox controller and haven't picked up a DualSense in weeks. I started playing God of War R and the DualSense feels completely natural. Never do I consciously think about stick placement when playing games.

GHG

Gold Member
It is simply a matter of preference. There is no right answer here. As I've said above, I have been using Xbox controller and haven't picked up a DualSense in weeks. I started playing God of War R and the DualSense feels completely natural. Never do I consciously think about stick placement when playing games.

Yep I've swapped between to two stick placement formats for years and have never had any issues either way.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

The xbox controller wins out simply because of stick placement. Playstation really needs to stop worrying so much about it looking "iconic" and just place the left stick where it makes sense.
No

mcHgVks.jpg

Tams

Gold Member
but it seems like Microsoft getting is getting kickbacks from battey companies to keep pushing disposable batteries.

Ugggh. Thanks to the Wii, unless you're under 20, literally everyone knows you can get very good rechargeable AAs.

So knock the conspiracy shit off.

amigastar

Yep, but it requires someone to make a profile for DSX for the game (you can also make one yourself if you can be bothered of course).

It's early days for this feature but the games that have haptic feedback and adaptive trigger profiles available and ready to go are Cyberpunk 2077, RDR2, GTA V, Forza Horizon 4 & 5, Fallout 4, Skyrim and Assetto Corsa. For games without profiles there's a bunch of presets for the triggers specifically that you can use.

What's even better is the fact that it enables haptic feedback and the trigger support when connected via bluetooth whereas without it you're limited to only games that have the features out of the box and the controller needs to be connected via a wire.

Good example:

Also for Cyberpunk I'd argue the implementation is better than it is on the native PS5 version (skip to 6 minutes 20 seconds for just the feedback demo):

Cool, that takes it to a whole new level. Will definitely check out that stuff. I think i know what i want for christmas
PS5 Controller

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Batiman

Banned
I don’t have a problem switching between them either. It’s never a big deal to me. I was just stating my preference and why as a response to someone else stating Xbox controllers don’t “make sense”.

Topher

Gold Member
I don’t have a problem switching between them either. It’s never a big deal to me. I was just stating my preference and why as a response to someone else stating Xbox controllers don’t “make sense”.

He was mocking a previous post.

The xbox controller wins out simply because of stick placement. Playstation really needs to stop worrying so much about it looking "iconic" and just place the left stick where it makes sense.
The playstation controller wins out simply because of stick placement. Xbox really needs to stop worrying so much about it looking "iconic" and just place the left stick where it makes sense.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
On quality of feel alone, the DualSense seems ~30 dollars more expensive. It's like a Lexus that comes with the console itself.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
2040: the ice caps have melted, storms rage, drought, famine, floods destroy all in their path.

Despite this, the fire in man's soul still burns. Just as it always has done. The rage. The will to overcome. Fighting is all that's left.

"Yeah, well actually, the sticks aren't in the right place on your controller, and they don't feel quite as premium."

Fox Mulder

I will forever prefer AA batteries in the Xbox controller. I use chargeable batteries that last well over a week and can swap out in seconds. The DualShocks always have poor battery life which will only degrade over time requiring surgery and third party shit to replace one day.

Last edited:
The Xbox Series X controller (and Elite V2) are great controllers but I absolutely hate the buzzy vibrations in the triggers in both of these. The DualSense has much better vibration and haptic feedback and I kind of wish that the Xbox controllers had this too.

MikeM

I have both and use both. Prefer the dualsense because I do.

People saying asymmetrical sticks is somehow more natural are wrong. Your left thumb is not designed any different than your right.

anothertech

The batteries argument is completely moot unless Ms included rechargeables in the pack. They don't.

Dualsense includes batteries that will last years out of the box. Xbox includes batteries that will last days.

Complete bullshit argument.

Roxkis_ii

Ugggh. Thanks to the Wii, unless you're under 20, literally everyone knows you can get very good rechargeable AAs.

So knock the conspiracy shit off.
Is there any other controller that still uses disposable batteries in 2022? Plus they get to charge for a recharge pack.

Nasty.

Series X controller is far too noisy imo and that d-pad is horrible. I can’t speak for the Elite as I never used it. The 360 controller is still the best basic offering by Xbox for me.

DualSense is probably Sony’s best out of all five systems.

Neo_game

Although I have not touched a controller for many years now lol. With every new generation of consoles the controller also needs a upgrade for sure. So definitely props to Sony for that.

Rykan

Then shouldn’t the right stick be symmetrical with the left, but higher?

123944374-video-game-console-controller-in-gamer-hands-hand-hold-new-joystick-isolated-on-white-background-.jpg
Using the Xbox controller in that image as an example, your thumbs will naturally rest/move to the left analog stick and the facebuttons. This makes sense for the left side of the controller because we use the left stick way more than we do the D pad. So it makes sense to put the stick in the "primary position". For the right side, it's a bit more complicated. Whether you use the facebuttons or the right stick more is up for debate and also very genre dependent.

You could actually make an argument to put the right stick in the primary position as well, but the problem is that the facebuttons take up the most space out of any component of the controller. If you were to swap them with the right stick, you'd either have to redesign the entire controller or shrink the size of the buttons substantially, which is what the Wiiu Pro controller did. That is less than ideal. So the current right side controller layout probably makes the most sense.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Using the Xbox controller in that image as an example, your thumbs will naturally rest/move to the left analog stick and the facebuttons. This makes sense for the left side of the controller because we use the left stick way more than we do the D pad. So it makes sense to put the stick in the "primary position". For the right side, it's a bit more complicated. Whether you use the facebuttons or the right stick more is up for debate and also very genre dependent.

You could actually make an argument to put the right stick in the primary position as well, but the problem is that the facebuttons take up the most space out of any component of the controller. If you were to swap them with the right stick, you'd either have to redesign the entire controller or shrink the size of the buttons substantially, which is what the Wiiu Pro controller did. That is less than ideal. So the current right side controller layout probably makes the most sense.

Perhaps. I don't think it really matters as thumbs will be moving constantly regardless. A normal resting position works either way as neither requires strain.

Tams

Gold Member
Is there any other controller that still uses disposable batteries in 2022? Plus they get to charge for a recharge pack.

Nasty.
8BitDo. And it comes with a double AA-shaped battery pack.

Oh wow. A little extra for battery pack. Or buy some Eneloops that will last for years.

You're deliberately being obnoxious about this and avoiding addressing the benefits of rechargeable AAs.

So, have another argument for them (that you won't answer): rechargeable AAs are betternfor the environment as well.

Topher

Gold Member
8BitDo. And it comes with a double AA-shaped battery pack.

Oh wow. A little extra for battery pack. Or buy some Eneloops that will last for years.

You're deliberately being obnoxious about this and avoiding addressing the benefits of rechargeable AAs.

So, have another argument for them (that you won't answer): rechargeable AAs are betternfor the environment as well.

it is too bad Xbox doesn't come with rechargeable AAs. That would be ideal considering the cost of the controller. At the same time, it would also be ideal if the built-in DualSense battery lasted longer than it did. So neither is really optimal in the battery category, imo.

Neo_game

So you are saying the controller is biased toward right handers ? Because the tension not only on stick is different but also on index finger due to asymmetry. I know in PC most user use wasd and right hand for mouse, but left handers can use mouse and arrow keys without any problem.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Playstation bros need to stop being weird about this.
35sCmM0.jpg

The human body is symmetrical. Our controllers should be symmetrical to benefit from that.

The Dualsense is perfect for 1st and 3rd person shooters where both thumbs are on the sticks most of the time. The XBox controller is perfect for 3D platformers which hit their peak in terms of popularity back in 1998.

Last edited:

Assaulty

Never tried dualsense, but the PS4 controller was a step in the right direction for Sony. I could use it, but it's still nowhere near as comfy as the Xbox controllers.

The Xbox controllers, since the 360 days, are feeling cheaper and cheaper with the Series s/x controllers also beeing a good deal smaller than the Xbone era controller. I've found myself migrating towards 3rd party controllers only. The only microsoft controller I still use is the Elite series 2 for my SX on the 4k TV. For (comp) shooters I've been using the Thrustmaster Eswap pro X ( by far the best pro controller I've ever used and I've used them all) and a Razer Wolverine TE for single player on my PC.

Rykan

The human body is symmetrical. Our controllers should be symmetrical to benefit from that.

The Dualsense is perfect for 1st and 3rd person shooters where both thumbs are on the sticks most of the time. The XBox controller is perfect for 3D platformers which hit their peak in terms of popularity back in 1998.
That's not how that works. Like, at all.

Having symmetrical sticks has absolutely zero benefit for shooters.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The proper way to drive a car is with hands on the 10 and 2 positions. Perfectly balanced as all things should be.

The XBox controller suggests people drive a car with hands on the 10 and 4 positions, which is absurd.
Only nerds drive like that. I drive with one hand at 6 o’clock and one hand on my cock.

Last edited:

Rykan

The proper way to drive a car is with hands on the 10 and 2 positions. Perfectly balanced as all things should be.

The XBox controller suggests people drive a car with hands on the 10 and 4 positions, which is absurd.
A controller isn't a steering wheel. A controller is not symmetrical by design, and your hand placement on a controller are the same regardless of stick location.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
To me both controllers are good, sadly my DualSense had 2 major problems, R2 spring broke, that i fixed. But still having a drift in R3 stick. Never had any problems with PlayStation controllers.

Top Bottom