• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The dungeons are huge and each carry their own regional look and feel" - TotK

ADiTAR

Banned
Nintendo has released an "Ask the Developer" about The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, confirming dungeons:

We've only discussed the skies, but this title has its dungeons too, right?\
Fujibayashi
: Yes, we haven't talked about the dungeons yet. They've changed from the previous game. For example, there is a dungeon that connects directly from Hyrule's surface. If you dive from the sky straight into the dungeon, you'll trigger an event. We think this will be a new experience that wasn't possible in the previous game.
Dohta: We’ve made dungeons unique to their respective environments, so we think you’ll be able to enjoy the wide variety of regional characteristics.
Takizawa: Making a "wide variety" was pretty challenging. The four Divine Beasts were the dungeons in the last game, and they shared similar designs. This time, the dungeons are huge and each carry their own regional look and feel, just like traditional The Legend of Zelda games. We think they will provide a satisfying challenge for players. They were certainly a challenge to develop! (Laughs)
This is my first thread, hope it's ok.

Also, I didn't want to spoil myself and look further. Just to be happy they confirmed what I suspected.

Part 1:
https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/a...-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-part-1/
Part 2:
https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/a...-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-part-2/
Part 3:
https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/a...-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-part-3/

Termite

Yeah, having beaten 3 of them this is entirely false.

They aren't that big, and built around the design philosophies of the Divine Beasts (relatively open spaces where you have to activate 5 terminals in any order) but are worse than them because they don't share that clever central mechanic of being able to manipulate the entire dungeon using the Sheikah Slate / Purah Pad. If you're looking for a linear dungeon filled with puzzles, small keys, boss keys, and a dungeon item - too bad. If you want big open spaces where you can climb / glide past most puzzles - then these dungeons are for you.

As to OCL - the Wind Temple is the worst one lol, it really is pathetic.

Last edited:

ungalo

Lmao the first two posts. Is this game going to be a shitstorm ?

Honestly i really expect a lot from it and what i read is not reassuring + i was already sick of Nintendo lately.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah, having beaten 3 of them this is entirely false.

They aren't that big, and built around the design philosophies of the Divine Beasts (relatively open spaces where you have to activate 5 terminals in any order) but are worse than them because they don't share that clever central mechanic of being able to manipulate the entire dungeon using the Sheikah Slate / Purah Pad. If you're looking for a linear dungeon filled with puzzles, small keys, boss keys, and a dungeon item - too bad. If you want big open spaces where you can climb / glide past most puzzles - then these dungeons are for you.

As to OCL - the Wind Temple is the worst one lol, it really is pathetic.
Well at least this time you get a
fucking companion ghost that you can use freely as a reward and not a semi-useless rechargable skill

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Sounds good to me! Can’t wait!
Im Ready Lets Go GIF by Leroy Patterson

Last edited:

Gaiff

Very hard to believe.
The Divine Beat Dungeons are honestly pretty damn good in terms of puzzles and far above most of the series...but that's where it stops. Everything else is so damn bland and sterile. No enemies, no fun navigation or traversal, no mini-bosses, no theme level design. A lot more goes into making a level fun than just intricate puzzles.

If it were only one Divine Beast that was like that, that would have been fine but all four end up feeling similar and not in a good way.

GymWolf

The Divine Beat Dungeons are honestly pretty damn good in terms of puzzles and far above most of the series...but that's where it stops. Everything else is so damn bland and sterile. No enemies, no fun navigation or traversal, no mini-bosses, no theme level design. A lot more goes into making a level fun than just intricate puzzles.

If it were only one Divine Beast that was like that, that would have been fine but all four end up feeling similar and not in a good way.
I could only stomach 3 of them before giving up, some of the most boring shit i ever played in terms of dungeons.

Doesn't help that the rewards were crap aswell.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Honestly i really expect a lot from it and what i read is not reassuring + i was already sick of Nintendo lately.
Not at all, the game is BotW + some more, so fans will automatically adore it for the most part I'm sure.

Fbh

Op + the first 2 replies is why you never trust what devs SAY about their game, only what they show running on actual hardware.

Robb

Gold Member
The Divine Beat Dungeons are honestly pretty damn good in terms of puzzles and far above most of the series...but that's where it stops.
Replaying BotW the divine beast were pretty much the worst part of the game. Even the shrines were a lot more enjoyable, some shrines in the game even came off as more complex. The ‘change position’ gimmick got old after the first one imo.

ungalo

Not at all, the game is BotW + some more, so fans will automatically adore it for the most part I'm sure.
Depends. I consider myself a "fan" of Zelda and Zelda BoTW. But if it's literally BoTW + some more, there's going to be a problem. I think i'm not alone in that case.

(people better not tell me we knew from the start it was going to be that and that's not a problem, spare me the damage control)

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Really wild that they waited two days before release to even discuss this.

The Divine Beat Dungeons are honestly pretty damn good in terms of puzzles and far above most of the series...but that's where it stops.

Subjective tastes and all that but. . .they really weren't. We'll ignore the boss encounters, but the puzzles - to me - felt like larger versions of the shrines: terrible mini-games stitched together to take advantage of the hardware. Even at their worst, ZELDA dungeons felt like they fit within the world - the Divine Beasts were just these giant rube goldberg machines that you had to figure out and that really weren't that rewarding to do so.

If the developer is saying traditional dungeons are back. . .great. I'm not holding my breath though on their quality.

I did one dungeon so far (the sky one) and it was shorter, easier and worst than any divine beast in Botw lol

. . .really wanted to boast about your piracy skills huh?

Gaiff

Subjective tastes and all that but. . .they really weren't. We'll ignore the boss encounters, but the puzzles - to me - felt like larger versions of the shrines: terrible mini-games stitched together to take advantage of the hardware. Even at their worst, ZELDA dungeons felt like they fit within the world - the Divine Beasts were just these giant rube goldberg machines that you had to figure out and that really weren't that rewarding to do so.
Eh, I dunno. Always felt most Zelda dungeons aren't particularly good because they have that awful habit of designing the entire dungeon around a specific item once you've found it. This makes the puzzles far too easy and most don't require a lot of thought. The Divine Beast at least were cool because the solutions weren't immediately obvious. I do think that in terms of puzzle complexity, they outdo pretty much everything in the entire series except the dungeons in MM which didn't suffer from that because you only found new arrow types in dungeons.

Haven't played SS or the newer 3DS releases though.

Termite

Did they try to adapt the difficulty, as I suppose you can do the dungeons in any order, or did they remove all enemies to avoid having to make an actual effort ?
There are barely any enemies in any of them that I've seen. It's much more a series of small puzzles you can tackle in any order. Again, just like the Divine Beasts were.

One dungeon is mostly based around using trampolines to fly around and icicles to attach to things as levers. Another is based on using mine carts to go up/down levels while you shoot switches to change the tracks. Another is just a big open area in the sky with some water pools in it.

There's like... a black bokoblin or two in there? Some blue chuchus, if I recall?

Worst part is that because they don't know which dungeon you'll do when, they replay the same cutscene at you every time you beat one - and it's a long one. Yes, the companion changes, but it's almost word-for-word the same.

But on the other hand, they DO fit in with the world around them, they ARE elemental themed, and there are classic Zelda bosses that DO reward you with heart containers. For a lot of people that might be enough. It's not like the Divine Beasts where they even looked like the basic shrines. But if you're someone who can analyze game design, you'll easily see that they're just the Divine Beast-style dungeons in fancier clothes.

EDIT: I will say this, the *approaches* to each dungeon are pretty fucking cool, and if you consider them part of the overall experience then that elevates things a lot. It's just linear platforming and puzzle solving on a treacherous route to the dungeon itself, whether in the sky or underground, but it's fun as hell.

Last edited:

GymWolf

There are barely any enemies in any of them that I've seen. It's much more a series of small puzzles you can tackle in any order. Again, just like the Divine Beasts were.

One dungeon is mostly based around using trampolines to fly around and icicles to attach to things as levers. Another is based on using mine carts to go up/down levels while you shoot switches to change the tracks. Another is just a big open area in the sky with some water pools in it.

There's like... a black bokoblin or two in there? Some blue chuchus, if I recall?

Worst part is that because they don't know which dungeon you'll do when, they replay the same cutscene at you every time you beat one - and it's a long one. Yes, the companion changes, but it's almost word-for-word the same.

But on the other hand, they DO fit in with the world around them, they ARE elemental themed, and there are classic Zelda bosses that DO reward you with heart containers. For a lot of people that might be enough. It's not like the Divine Beasts where they even looked like the basic shrines. But if you're someone who can analyze game design, you'll easily see that they're just the Divine Beast-style dungeons in fancier clothes.

EDIT: I will say this, the *approaches* to each dungeon are pretty fucking cool, and if you consider them part of the overall experience then that elevates things a lot. It's just linear platforming and puzzle solving on a treacherous route to the dungeon itself, whether in the sky or underground, but it's fun as hell.
Don't you get a
ghost companion
other than an heart container?

Last edited:

Termite

Don't you get a
ghost companion
other than an heart container?
Sure, you had that companion already but now you can take it outside that region. Those companion abilities aren't as good as those in BotW, but the ghosts themselves are good for distracting enemies.

It's so funny, though, that you need these stones to summon the ghosts of the modern champions, when they're still perfectly alive and could just go with you themselves, except... they don't want to. Or don't care. Or something. You get this whole speech about how they'll fight by your side and then it's like "I mean, my GHOST will, you think I don't have better shit to do? See ya"

Won't say too much but 100% agree.

GymWolf

Sure, you had that companion already but now you can take it outside that region. Those companion abilities aren't as good as those in BotW, but the ghosts themselves are good for distracting enemies.

It's so funny, though, that you need these stones to summon the ghosts of the modern champions, when they're still perfectly alive and could just go with you themselves, except... they don't want to. Or don't care. Or something. You get this whole speech about how they'll fight by your side and then it's like "I mean, my GHOST will, you think I don't have better shit to do? See ya"
Are you searching for good writing in a zelda game?:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Can i just summon them when i want or they have a long ass recharge time?

Last edited:

Tg89

it'll be the same as BOTW probably.

near unanimous praise from critics and players, incredibly high scores, tons of GOTYs, and a vocal minority that doesn't like it.

cireza

Sounds totally underwhelming. Thanks for the details.

cabbage5k2

How are the bosses in the game? Are they better than the blights or about the same?

Dynasty8

Games gonna score mostly 10s everywhere. Not saying it deserves it, but it has the Zelda name.

Also not hating on the game. I really want to play it, but I'd be in denial if I couldn't admit many Nintendo games get special treatment at times.

Termite

Games gonna score mostly 10s everywhere. Not saying it deserves it, but it has the Zelda name.

Also not hating on the game. I really want to play it, but I'd be in denial if I couldn't admit many Nintendo games get special treatment at times.
The game has a ton of flaws, but compared to anything else in the industry it deserves 10 out of 10s. Incredible gameplay, incredible puzzles, 100 hours+ content, no microtransactions, no bugs... just a classic game delivered in the classic way.

It'll be 95+ on metacritic easily. I prefer BotW, but you won't hear me complain.
How are the bosses in the game? Are they better than the blights or about the same?
Not sure if they're better or worse (I think I prefered the blight fights) but they ARE classic Zelda bosses in the way the blights weren't. They're huge, have big weak points, multiple phases, require the use of the dungeon ability to beat etc etc. Most Zelda fans will probably much prefer these. One aerial-based boss just straight up sucks though.

ungalo

it'll be the same as BOTW probably.

near unanimous praise from critics and players, incredibly high scores, tons of GOTYs, and a vocal minority that doesn't like it.

I mean, probably. I don't really care about the press they're predictable as fuck, in Nintendo's case especially indeed.

But on the players side, if the game is really BoTW with unconsequential changes, i don't know how the game could not raise some controversy. BoTW sparked some too, but it was because it was a very different game than other Zelda + it was deemed revolutionary for open world games, that was really its whole impact that was put into question by a "vocal minority", here it would be very different.

Tg89

I mean, probably. I don't really care about the press they're predictable as fuck, in Nintendo's case especially indeed.

But on the players side, if the game is really BoTW with unconsequential changes, i don't know how the game could not raise some controversy. BoTW sparked some too, but it was because it was a very different game than other Zelda + it was deemed revolutionary for open world games, that was really its whole impact that was put into question by a "vocal minority", here it would be very different.
We already know the game is far more than unconsequential changes.

Hugare

lol, look for impressions of people already playing the game/that completed the game

This is not true at all

And honestly, how could someone expect much? You dont have special items like in past Zelda games

They cant design a dungeon around an specific equipment because the game want you to use whatever you find in the environment, so anything goes

Last edited:

Zannegan

lol, look for impressions of people already playing the game/that completed the game

This is not true at all

And honestly, how could someone expect much? You dont have special items like in past Zelda games

They cant design a dungeon around an specific equipment because the game want you to use whatever you find in the environment, so anything goes
I guess they could build them around combat or platforming challenges, or limit you in some way like Eventide Isle. If, for example, you only had access to one of your powers while inside the dungeon, that would have the same affect as picking up a new item/power. It'd be pretty challenging to design an interesting series of puzzles around one power only, but I'd like to see them try.

The botw felt like a zelda spinoff game, I guess this game is more of the same, don’t get me wrong, still a great game, but I miss traditional zelda games, ALBW was one the best games I ever played.

Last edited:

Hugare

I guess they could build them around combat or platforming challenges, or limit you in some way like Eventide Isle. If, for example, you only had access to one of your powers while inside the dungeon, that would have the same affect as picking up a new item/power. It'd be pretty challenging to design an interesting series of puzzles around one power only, but I'd like to see them try.
Some temporary powers that fits the theme of the dungeon would make sense

It would go against their design choice to make the player do what they want. But so many people complained about the Divine Beasts in BOTW being shitty, and they've done nothing about it.

Players would still have the whole world to explore as they see fit. Only compromise with dungeons, it would be worth it.

But that's not what happened.

One of many design choices that I dont agree with

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Wtf spoilers in the thread title?
Agreed ..it's inconsiderate bs by the Op.

Feels like the people intent on taking the game down a peg or two are revving up their engines and ready to pounce tomorrow.

Truth is universal acclaim doesn't exist anymore. That tag alone will bring out the contrarians intent on dismantling and destroying.

This is the modern world.

Top Bottom